Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch mode enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SW was enabled 4 am this morning in Norcal. The cause is most likely the red flag warning regardless of no PG&E PSPS (preventive fire power outage) warnings, watch or elevated status. I might turn this one off ...

I forgot to turn my SW back on again after the last one of these events. Turned it on this AM at 6am and turned it off at 7am (partial peak starting) with it at 90%. I'll turn it back on again tonight at 11pm just to top them off at off peak.

I don't want to run in SW mode during peak today and loose solar return and also the added costs. Not too worried since I am at the very edge of the NWS red flag alert area and seriously doubt my power will be lost. It actually comes from an area that is not in a red flag alert.

Mine never gets above 99% on storm watch either. I think that is normal.

Doing Hurricane Douglas in Hawaii. My PW went into Storm Mode at 1048 yesterday when NOAA put out the Warning. It was 1,000 east at the time. Now 400 miles east so Alert will likely not be issued until afternoon or tonight. Nice sun yesterday and suppose to be so into this afternoon. Not huge but my panels easily charge the battery and it carries the night load. I'm selling power to MECO now that could be charging the battery from what would have been used last night.

Would be nice to have an option in Storm Mode to activate on Alert, not Warning. Suppose I could leave it off until Alert but GateWay is smart. Just a thought.

Would be nice to have an option in Storm Mode to activate on Alert, not Warning. Suppose I could leave it off until Alert but GateWay is smart. Just a thought.
See my experiences above. I have been pretty successful in toggling this on/off as necessary but at some point it decided it was going to leave it in play even though the app said it was off.

Storm Watch activated for the DC area.

Batteries are sitting at 99%.
I see that now. My batteries were already at 97%, but I see a brief spike where it filled to 99%.

Is this because of the potential hurricane?
Yes - we have Tropical Storm warnings up for DC and east. As far as I can see I am officially just outside the zone, but it might be a question of how the exact borders are defined.

Edit to add I guess they did add us to the warning area, so it all makes sense.

Reactions: GaitherBill
Yeah, we're right on the edge between "lotsa rain" and "batten down the hatches".
I'm pretty much expecting it will be mostly a lot of rain (and we've already seen plenty of those events this summer, though this could be worse) and the biggest concern will be flooding. But potentially a much more serious storm for folks near the Chesapeake in MD and closer to the expected path in general.

And there could be long-term power outages if PEPCO gets overwhelmed, so I am glad to have the batteries and to see storm watch doing its thing.

I'm pretty much expecting it will be mostly a lot of rain (and we've already seen plenty of those events this summer, though this could be worse) and the biggest concern will be flooding. But potentially a much more serious storm for folks near the Chesapeake in MD and closer to the expected path in general.

And there could be long-term power outages if PEPCO gets overwhelmed, so I am glad to have the batteries and to see storm watch doing its thing.

I’m thinking the same.

We’re on the edge of Potomac Edison service, and we have a lot of poorly maintained trees around us.