Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange. Anyone else having climate turning on, not by you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There might be something to this. I've had it happen twice more. For the people that are having this, do you have the Tesla Dashboard app installed? I have some of their control widgets on my home screen and wondered if the app is activing by itself or maybe I accidently hit something.

Perhaps the firmware update flipped "Pre-Conditioning" to ON for some folks??? I checked my car and it is still OFF, so who knows.

We've kept it on for the 6ish months we've had the car so I don't think thats the case but good thought.

There might be something to this. I've had it happen twice more. For the people that are having this, do you have the Tesla Dashboard app installed? I have some of their control widgets on my home screen and wondered if the app is activing by itself or maybe I accidently hit something.

We have the official Tesla app and have the Alexa skill enabled for our car if that helps.

Yeah, 2018.4.1 ec044c8 must be the culprit or contributing factor. Still an issue for me when I turned preconditioning on this past weekend. Saw the issue and preconditioning is back to off.

Elon (new head of CSR)...you are on notice. ;/

I also turned off the preconditioning (thanks to the above posts for the tip) and it has stopped happening. I have had preconditioning on ever since we purchased the car so this is absolutely something new with the latest release. Oh well, easy fix, just turn it off. I always use the app to pre-heat / precondition the car when it is cold anyway.

I also turned off the preconditioning (thanks to the above posts for the tip) and it has stopped happening. I have had preconditioning on ever since we purchased the car so this is absolutely something new with the latest release. Oh well, easy fix, just turn it off. I always use the app to pre-heat / precondition the car when it is cold anyway.

Smart Pre-conditioning is supposed to learn your driving patterns and once it's figured it out, automatically turn your HVAC on a few minutes before it "thinks" you are about to go out to the car. In other words, if you leave home in the morning and work in the evening at roughly the same time every weekday, the car can supposedly have the interior warmed or cooled for you automatically.

Depending on your usage patterns, it may have just taken the car a while to figure out what it thinks your pattern is.

Personally, I think this is a crazy feature. I don't want the car assuming anything about my patterns and making assumptions for me. How hard is it to use the app to remotely enable if/when you want or need it. I have had it disabled from day one.

I'm heading back home to get my car from the airport after it being parked there unplugged for the last four days. This is in Toronto so the temp is around freezing. I got there at 78%. That night I was able to login to the app and see it was down to 75%. I turned the climate way down to LOW, but could not turn off preconditioning from the app. I haven't been able to connect to the car from my phone since then. "Vehicle connection error". Hopefully it's just in a deep sleep and not dead. :/ I guess we'll see when I get there in 6 hours... As long as there's about 10km of range left I should be able to limp to the chargers at the next terminal. I guess that's the worst case scenario.

Definitely 2018.4.1 introduced this for me too.

@ No Ice I had the same problem. Owned the car for over one year and Smart preconditioning has been turned in since owning the vehicle with no problem. Suddenly Two weeks ago along with this Tuesday morning my battery was drained to 20% chargein the morning when it was charged to 50% or more the night prior.

Called the service center in the morning and they followed up via email per my request and said Smart preconditioning came on at 8pm (about 90 minutes after I got in for the night) and shutoff at 1am. Why would the car be preconditioning at those hours? ( I almost never drive then).

I wrote them back Tuesday explaining that there seems to be a problem with my Smart conditioning turning on by itself for no apparent reason and I need it looked at. It’s been over two days and they haven’t responded.

I never understood how smart preconditioning would work even if you worked five days a week (and many don't nowadays...). Is it smart enough (lol) to know not to cool/heat the car on weekends? Does it not do anything for several weeks to learn a pattern? That might be useful, if it really had that sort of AI...

I've never had it on, based on tips from TMC.

Well, I got back to my car and it was still at 75%. So it didn't drop after that first day. Because it was all shutdown. I got the long "please wait while systems start up" which is fine. But my CID didn't come up. I did the two-roller reset to get it back up. I think that if it hadn't crashed I would have lost a lot more charge... Oh well. I turned off smart pre-conditioning and made it home just fine.

I had this problem as well during out of town trip. Car at LAX 5 days and lost a ton of miles, plus HVAC kept running on after I locked car. It seemed to stop when I turned off cabin overheat protection. I’m out of town, will check smart preconditioning. SOMETHING changed with a SW update. It is New behavior.

Just got a text from my wife that my car is "running" - I have the day off which is unusual.

I too, thought that something was going on, and could someone be messing with me car? My previous VW eGOLF had this functionality and the app provided the user with settings for each day of the week. It did not worked as advertised, but it also did not turn the car on at random times, either.

Thanks for the other posts - I just turned off the Smart Preconditioning setting. I will work on the assumption that I can save a few KwH at home and battery now.

I was reading this thread as my havoc came on last evening as I was driving home. It was completely off and I started o feel airflow and noticed it was on now. Just updated to 2018.4.7

Could just be that it was on without me knowing it but I don’t think it was. Will see if it happens again.

My 2014 MS has told me for two days in a row that the climate control was turned off after 4 hours. I could accept that it smart preconditions except that we've had the car for a year and it happened on a Sunday morning. We never drive the car at 4am on a weekend morning. My wife usually leaves for work at 7am on weekdays. Any ideas besides turning it off?