Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange paddle like sound during acceleration????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's loud which is why you might think from the video that it's in the cabin, but it sounds like it's coming from frunk down low and too the right. It's been slowly getting worse over the last few weeks. Time to call the SC.

Why is it inconceivable? Manufacturing is not perfect. Flaws get through. Could be that you just drew the short straw and received a bad part from whoever supplies Tesla's CV joints.

Because in over a million miles of driving I've never had a new car of any brand have a mechanical failure in the first 50K miles. Squeaks, rattles, and the occasional electronic or sensor failure yes, but never a mechanical issue with so few miles.

Reactions: Sather
..you've never owned a VW then.

Is what you're saying.

Lucky (smart?) you!

Guess that's one way to put it. I've never owned a vehicle made in Europe. A dozen Japanese cars and three American cars. The first American car was a 2001 C5. It was repurchased as a lemon. The second american car was a 2004 Dodge Durango. Despite the C5 being bought back as a lemon, the Durango was the pits. Worst car experience ever. Broke down on us twice on the road with transmission and transfer case problems. I swore never again to buy American, but the MS doesn't doesn't count. It's from the country of Silicon Valley :)

Every now and then, especially if I'm turning right, my MS makes a funny flappy paddle like noise on hard acceleration.

Can't describe it, so best just to listen.

Has anyone heard this sound?
That sounds exactly like a noise that I just reported. I hadn't really noticed if it was worse on turns, just when I'm giving the car hard acceleration. I recorded it but I don't have it hosted anywhere I can post the link.
My car is in for an Ludicrous upgrade so I've asked them to look at that. I can report back here.

Edit: I have less than 16,000 Kms.

Just got the car back today. The fix:

"Adjusted front drive unit mounts and verified the mount adjustment has the proper clearance."

So far so good. So not a bad CV joint. My guess is one the drive unit mounts came lose if I'm reading between the lines.

I've got the same noise, usually accelerating turning left out of a u-turn. I'm in Michigan and they've taken it to Cleveland twice and have not been able to reproduce it nor fix it. To their credit I couldn't get to do it when they picked it up. They did replace some bolts but it started again shortly after I got it back, and now seems more easily reproducible after a month or so. I'd be interested to hear what you find.

2015 85D