Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

strange start up behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
After getting 5.8, like everyone else, I noticed that it was slower become ready to drive by maybe 3-4 seconds. But since yesterday I have been confronted by a much longer start up delay.

After the power/speedometer shows up and shows "car off", I press the brake and nothing happened for about 30 seconds (I've timed it) and then it switches to "parked" and I can drive the car. This is fairly worrisome to me as something has obviously changed. I plan on having it looked at but have others seen this problem? The braked pedal seems to go down as I am pressing. I didn't see anything obvious in scanning the forum.

Yeah, I rebooted but that didn't change anything. I have a call/email into service to set up an appointment.

I've have 5.8.4 since 12/21 with no problems until last night when I got "charging stopped" message (at 177 miles, normally goes to 230) and couldn't get it restarted without rebooting the center console. Definitely need to see the inside of the service center...

The 5.8.4 has caused some issues. I have noted an increase in the start up delay. Usually it presents as blank / black screen for about 30 seconds with the foot on the brake. My workaround has been to immediately put the car in reverse and then drive. The sequence seems to work each time. Also noted the update disconnected my iPhone and the app. Had a difficult time reconnecting the iPhone as it wouldn't generate the PIN to pair. Minor software issues. Hopefully will be fixed by the next update...6.0. The staff at tesla has been very helpful and are aware.

That sounds somewhat similar but I can't get it into drive before the center of the driver's display says "parked". That takes 30 seconds. Which, by the way, is a really LONG time when you are sitting on a dark street in a less than desirable part of town...

Interestingly, I haven't been able to connect my phone to the car even though it contacted tesla an hour ago (at the same time it was failing to connect to my phone). That sounds like the same problem you are having.

That sounds somewhat similar but I can't get it into drive before the center of the driver's display says "parked". That takes 30 seconds. Which, by the way, is a really LONG time when you are sitting on a dark street in a less than desirable part of town...

Interestingly, I haven't been able to connect my phone to the car even though it contacted tesla an hour ago (at the same time it was failing to connect to my phone). That sounds like the same problem you are having.
Begs the question ... what are you doing in a "dark street in a less than desirable part of town..." :)

I had similar problems after 5.6 was released. My instrument screen would just stay dark, and it would take 30 seconds to a few minutes to come on. I had to get the whole screen replaced. Still seems like it would be a software glitch, but they replaced the hardware and I'm working properly now.

I have the same issue, its not all the time but yesterday I stopped at a store for maybe 15, came back out and and the dash was black then about 15 seconds the Tesla appeared then it took another 30 seconds or so of the car to come to life. I will call Tesla as well.