Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange to me that the model Y and 3 with AMD ryzen don’t support steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
I would think the amd ryzen is atleast as strong as the steam deck, and I can play almost every steam game on that

They could give some warning that you could experience low performance for most games when playing but the option should atleast be there

I def agree OP. It seems silly that it's limited to just the X/S since Steam has, literally, thousands of titles that would run on it with zero performance issues.

With that said, I'm sure more went into that decision than just CPU/GPU performance... and at the end of the day, you're MUCH better off just buying yourself a Steamdeck and enjoying it both in and out of the car :)

A dota 2 match on the screen with a mouse and keyboard would be fun while waiting some where, too bad the screen doesn’t have a simple hdmi input

Surprised there isn’t any third party solutions to this

The UI basically shuts down while you're running steam. It takes a while to reboot into normal mode and the car behaves similarly to if you did a hard reset.
Those are all anecdotal and aren't based on an actual architectural understanding of how those things work. While I'm not on that team either so I can't speak to it with knowledge, I do know that Steam runs as a VM - that in itself requires a lot of RAM as it has to run a full blown OS, not just a container.

Either way - the facts are that it requires 16GB of RAM and the 3/Y don't have it.

• Disagree
Reactions: terranx