Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strap a weight onto the steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple things I haven't seen mentioned in this thread (but certainly have in others that are similar). If you have concerns about the torque threshold of clearing the warning without breaking Autosteer, then use the thumbwheels to turn volume (or TACC speed) up and then back down a tick. It's considered input (and hands on the wheel) just the same. I think most owners know about this at this point, but perhaps it could help a newbie.

Regarding a steering wheel weight, nobody mentioned such a device becoming a projectile in a steering wheel airbag deployment. Maybe the thought of that would deter someone who otherwise thinks they're a good idea.
The first part kinda confirms...that for safety, Tesla doesnt necessarily need you to have your hands on the wheel. They intentionally configure the software to allow you to simply adjust the radio volume using one finger to avoid the nags. Is there that much difference between no hands on the wheel (like other carmakers permit) when on AP, vs having a finger on the volume scroll wheel every 30 seconds?

Second part, good point. (although several designs show the actual weight being on the back of the steering wheel and nothing at all in front of the airbag).

Reactions: Ramphex
I’ve never been put in AP jail in 3.5 years and I rarely get nagged. Maybe 2-3 times every 100 miles.
Amazing. ONLY 2-3 times every 100 miles? How do you DO it?

How about never being nagged once in a 750-mile trip? The feature is there to protect you, and if you have a hand on the wheel, it can detect it. I, too, have never been in AP jail, ever. I've been driving Teslas for about ten years now, and EVs for about 20. It's not all that hard to learn how to drive the car safely and to train yourself to use the safety features correctly. Of course, I know you know that, but it worries me (not too much, though) to hear of all these people trying to bypass or negate the safety features. Sort of like fixing your seat belt's retractor so the belt LOOKS like it's fastened across your chest but it's not. At least the only ones to die in the seatbelt scenario would likely be the seatbelt cheater. Don't know about the steering wheel cheater.

In my car I can have one or both hands on the wheel and I still get nagged if I’m not inputting some minimum amount of steering effort.
Yeah, that’s what happens with me, too. The system is designed to sense torque, not weight, so if you have both hands on the steering wheel so they balance each other out it still doesn’t know you’re holding on, especially on a straight road where the wheel isn’t turning. It would be nice if it sensed weight or downward force as well as torque. I’m sure the system is designed as it is because it can use the existing sensors.
The first part kinda confirms...that for safety, Tesla doesnt necessarily need you to have your hands on the wheel. They intentionally configure the software to allow you to simply adjust the radio volume using one finger to avoid the nags. Is there that much difference between no hands on the wheel (like other carmakers permit) when on AP, vs having a finger on the volume scroll wheel every 30 seconds?
You’re reading too much into it. This is a feature designed to make sure you have some level of consciousness and aren’t functionally asleep at the wheel that was implemented because people were being stupid and irresponsible. Nothing more.

AP can and does make mistakes. If you are driving, you are responsible for operating the car in a safe and responsible manner that doesn’t endanger your passengers or anyone else on or near the road. We can argue about whether weights are legal but that’s really beside the point. Fundamentally, you are circumventing a safety feature of the car designed to prevent people from misusing AP and endangering others.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2101Guy
In my car I can have one or both hands on the wheel and I still get nagged if I’m not inputting some minimum amount of steering effort.
Its admittedly a subpar "safety" system, and why other carmakers leverage the in car camera or sensors that track the eye instead.
Alternatively, if you dont want to have your hand on the tesla wheel, just touch the volume button every 30 seconds or so. Tesla considers that to be safe use of AP

Yeah, that’s what happens with me, too. The system is designed to sense torque, not weight, so if you have both hands on the steering wheel so they balance each other out it still doesn’t know you’re holding on, especially on a straight road where the wheel isn’t turning. It would be nice if it sensed weight or downward force as well as torque. I’m sure the system is designed as it is because it can use the existing sensors.

You’re reading too much into it. This is a feature designed to make sure you have some level of consciousness and aren’t functionally asleep at the wheel that was implemented because people were being stupid and irresponsible. Nothing more.

AP can and does make mistakes. If you are driving, you are responsible for operating the car in a safe and responsible manner that doesn’t endanger your passengers or anyone else on or near the road. We can argue about whether weights are legal but that’s really beside the point. Fundamentally, you are circumventing a safety feature of the car designed to prevent people from misusing AP and endangering others.
Perhaps? Perhaps not? If a person is truly paying full attention at all times (the law), and ensuring that the vehicle is not performing in a manner that violates the rules of the road, then he/she is operating the vehicle within the laws of that state. (all 50).

One could argue that someone who opts to disable traction/stability control is "circumventing a safety control". But does that mean its illegal or unsafe to do so? Perhaps. But it is that persons choice and right. And if he/she spins out of control leaving cars and coffee due to having the traction control turned off? The driver is going to be held accountable/responsible. 99% chance the cops wont care what state the traction control was in. The police charges will remain the same..

There is another very important thing to remember. Using a steering wheel weight throws your steering wheel out of balance. If you were using it, and had to quickly make a steering correction, you are likely to over compensate in order to make up for the lopsidedness of the wheel. Bottom line, please don't use a steering wheel weight. It is extremely careless and dangerous.

Reactions: jgris and sleepydoc
I don’t use this device but I find it extremely annoying playing whack-a-mole with the steering yoke torque message every 10 seconds. Florida roads are super flat and straight, usually east to west or north to south. Simply resting my hand on the yoke does NOT satisfy the nag, I have to actually put a bit of pressure onto the steering yoke for it to reset. If I’m watching the road, and not the dash, I at times miss the hand signs on the dash to apply the torque. There HAS to be a better way.

Reactions: 2101Guy
There is another very important thing to remember. Using a steering wheel weight throws your steering wheel out of balance. If you were using it, and had to quickly make a steering correction, you are likely to over compensate in order to make up for the lopsidedness of the wheel. Bottom line, please don't use a steering wheel weight. It is extremely careless and dangerous.
Sorry not true. It’s not a lead bowling ball it’s a hardly noticeable perimeter weight. Tried one before and hardly knew it was there and for the record never nagged for hundreds of miles. Just the facts

I find if I drive with one hand on the wheel it provides enough tension to avoid the nag.

However, I was taught that you should always have two hands on the wheel at all times. If I do this, I get the nag all the time.

So in essence, Tesla is teaching me poor driving habits. :D

• Funny