Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strata Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

About to become a new Model X Owner and having a few issues with Strata.

My setup will be running from my meter to my assigned car park. All works done by a qualified electrician and signed off by Energy Safe Victoria.

This is only a small apartment block (~20 units).

Their concerns are what happens if the car catches fire or the charger catches fire. I've asked what happens if the ICE catches fire, or your fridge catches fire... Its no different. They would like me to get lawyers involved and speak to powercor and have them sign off on it, these requests are just silly...

This is just going to be a simple 10/15 amp install.

Apart from going the VCAT way any other suggestions.

Sorry, Should of mentioned I have spoken with them and got a quote (a little high for my liking but no other real choice)
They are assisting where they can but still having issues trying to convince Body Corp (and members) that its safe...

Damn! Other than stating the obvious that your strata board are in the dark ages (as many old and especially new apartments are specifically adding electric car charging to their buildings) I’m not sure what you can do.

Maybe Tesla charging support can help?

Shane.

Sorry, Should of mentioned I have spoken with them and got a quote (a little high for my liking but no other real choice)
They are assisting where they can but still having issues trying to convince Body Corp (and members) that its safe...
I went through this process in around 2010 and I posted about it here. I approached the Owners Corporation Committee explaining that electric vehicles are coming, like it or not and it’s better to have a say in their introduction into the building than try to prevent it and end up with attempting to police unauthorised charging.
Strangely the issue of a fire did not come up, it was more concerned about capacity of the building infrastructure but I have now been charging successfully in my parking space for 3 years.
Happy to talk to a member of your OC Committee if you think it would help.
DM me if you are interested.

@shanelord - See attached
@renim - No bushland at all around. This is a inner west.

Attachments

• tesla.png
    tesla.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 140
Sounds like a very weak argument. Any electrical appliance can cause a fire and every house and apartment has many potential electrical fire starters. My mums house burned down due to a faulty range hood in the kitchen. A co-workers house burned down due to a faulty near new TV. Both happened only a couple of years ago. As long as everything is done in compliance with standards and regulations it should be OK and just normal risk.

Reactions: Mark E
Just think OP, If you'd not spent $200k on a car, you could have bought a house, or better yet, moved out of the inner west to the inner east!

Its not $200k... only $159k ($32k of that is bloody tax... bastards..)
Own a house
I'm new to Melbourne so I'm sure there is a dig in there somewhere :) Had I known how derro the west was.. I would of considered elsewhere. Caroline Springs I would say is once of the better places of the west.

Its not $200k... only $159k ($32k of that is bloody tax... bastards..)
Own a house
I'm new to Melbourne so I'm sure there is a dig in there somewhere :) Had I known how derro the west was.. I would of considered elsewhere. Caroline Springs I would say is once of the better places of the west.

Caroline Springs is definitely not. It's also not inner west. With a 'only' $159k car in Caroline Springs, you're driving around with something worth half the price of people's houses out there.

Caroline Springs is definitely not. It's also not inner west. With a 'only' $159k car in Caroline Springs, you're driving around with something worth half the price of people's houses out there.

Wow, is it normal on here for people to look down their noses at where others live, or even question where and how people spend their money?

Hoping you’re being sarcastic - even still it’s not nice.

Shane.

Wow, is it normal on here for people to look down their noses at where others live, or even question where and how people spend their money?

Hoping you’re being sarcastic - even still it’s not nice.

Shane.
Not trying to be an asshole, but when you're living in a low socio economic area, and driving a $160k car, it does raise serious questions about priorities. We all love Tesla, and support the move to EVs, but at what cost?