Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strategic Alliance: Tesla & Costco

Do you think Costco would be a good company to form a strategic alliance with Tesla?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I think we are talking about two different audiences today. Yes, they could garner sales. But I think it cheapens the premium brand today. After the M3 is out for a while, it might make more sense. But not now. And my experience has been that the Costco savings are marginal at best, if you know how to negotiate.

As they become more mass market, as I would like, it would make total sense to me.

Reactions: BluestarE3
This is pretty normal for the Costco near me. It's like 10c a gallon cheaper than a low price place nearby.

BTW all of these cars are idling and burning fuel at the worst possible rate for environmental concerns.

I would suspect a Tesla supercharger bank to look the same.

costco-gas-linewide*1200xx1200-675-0-53.jpg

Nah. If the SC spots are anything like the level two charging spots Costco has, they'll be ICEd roughly 125 percent of the time Costco is open.

Only a couple of articles in Chinese. You can try google translate but the highlights were what I mentioned.

The first article about tesla actually having the car and its people at Costco for a limited time. The second is about their
Hk and taiwan head saying they will partner with Costco on building destination chargers.

特斯拉開進好市多 限時賞車試駕 | 財經 | 中央社即時新聞 CNA NEWS
Tesla旗艦店風光開張,副總裁任宇翔:台灣是重要技術、商業發展據點 | TechOrange

Costco stores would be good locations for Superchargers provided they get sited on the periphery of the parking lot where they'd be less subject to ICEing. People such as ourselves do sometimes patronize big box retailers while on long road trips.

Further, Costco stores could be good charging locations for "locals" who lack the ability to charge at home and work. Provided they pay their way as per the new 2017 Supercharging policy, such EV owners should ideally be able to find plenty of stores/venues that they frequent which offer Supercharging, CHAdeMO fast charging, or high-power Level 2 charging. Long term, we'd like to see more charging stations at workplaces, multifamily dwellings, and curbside parking, but that may take decades to become the norm everywhere.

This is for primary research data for a business strategy college course. Your opinion is great appreciated.
Two questions:

1. Would you purchase a Costco membership to save on the purchase of your Tesla through a Costco Auto Program for Tesla?

2. Would you purchase a Costco membership if every Costco who had a supercharger allowed for free charging for members? (This includes those Tesla cars purchased after January 1, 2017 in which charging will no longer be free for life.)

I am a current member of Costco
1. I would get a membership if I saved money on the purchase. I do not see this happening.
2. I would do this if there were no lines. I would only use it 6 to 9 times a year so it would pay for my membership.

As a shareholder in both Costco and Tesla, i think some sort of partnership would make a lot of sense. Costco gets a more affluent crowd of shoppers and a captive audience who can shop while their Tesla is charging. Tesla owners get more locations to charge at and another avenue to buy their car if allowed by the state.

I agree with Rob and, in the hopes that TM's forum-reader is monitoring this thread, urge upon TM that the single most important takeaway is PLACE YOUR CHARGING STALLS IN THE NETHERMOST REGIONS OF ANY MALL-TYPE PARKING AREAS.
I am aware this can incur challenges with providing the necessary electricity, but the long-term ramifications mandate this.

Long time Costco member who shops there regularly. I live in an urban area with stores nearby. Any Costco affiliation with TESLA would not have an impact since we are already members.
Don't think it is likely, but free supercharging on site for members would be awesome and there would probably be lines!

For this project we are thinking charging will not be free. The cost of charging is really cheap and we are trying to integrate a way for enterprise Costco members to receive a discount on charging. Tesla needs more chargers. Most Tesla owners fall into the target market of Costco members. Costco makes nothing from selling cars, it's just a way to boost membership numbers. It only makes sense for Tesla to sell at Costco. It's no added cost to Tesla either.