Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped Model S better than Model 3 in any meaningful way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume it is because it is a sedan and not a hatchback. :rolleyes:

I assume reasoning is not your strong point. The smaller trunk opening gives up significant utility over the S. So one must ask the obvious question - why didn't they build it as a hatch opening? Your response isn't a theory for why the trunk opening is designed as it is - it's a just a re-statement of the description of how the trunk opens.

The smaller trunk opening gives up significant utility over the S. So one must ask the obvious question - why didn't they build it as a hatch opening?

Because they were building a sedan so that they open up additional market share possibilities. (For people like me that want a sedan and not a hatchback.)

The "hatchback" version of the 3 will likely be the Y.

I am in no position to be able to know with any certainty if it is cheaper to make a conventional trunk opening like on the Model 3 compared to making a hatchback type opening link on the Model S. I can only guess that there are some cost savings, since to me a hatchback has greater utility. It is the only feature of the Model 3 that I am disappointed about (based on the limited amount of Model 3 information available so far).

My only major concern about the Model 3 compared to the S is what the largest battery size option will be on the 3. Since the Model 3 wheelbase is 3" less than the Model S, the room available for the battery pack is reduced.

I want to tow a 17 ft 2,000 lb camper trailer with the Model 3. To achieve any sort of useful towing range, which to me is at least 150 miles at 55mph on a level dry road with no headwind, I want as much battery capacity as it is possible to fit into a Model 3.

Because they were building a sedan so that they open up additional market share possibilities. (For people like me that want a sedan and not a hatchback.)

I suppose, but I don't think you're right on the market share theory - I still go with a manufacturing/cost-cutting decision. I consider my Model S a sedan (even though it is technically a hatchback) and so do my friends and family members. My "image" of what a hatchback is brings to mind a boxy VW Golf.

The Model S, were it to become a sedan by suddenly walling off the rear compartment and moving the hinge opening down beneath the glass - would gain nothing cosmetically or functionally and it would lose cargo loading space.

So - I still think the Model 3 rear opening issue is related somehow to cost cutting to meet the $35K target.

Over the past few decades car manufacturers have scrambled traditional vehicle categories in an attempt to differentiate themselves. It used to be that most hatchbacks were more on the compact side and often only had two doors. But now there are full size sedans like the Audi A7 and the Model S that have hatchbacks. There no longer is a clear line between a "sedan" and a "hatchback". A car can encompass both of those categories.

I fail to see why anyone who wants 4 doors would automatically rule out a 4-door car that had a hatch instead of a conventional trunk, given that the overall body shape can be basically the same (there are many 4-doors with long sloping rear windows that are not hatchbacks) but the hatchback design certainly offers more utility when carrying large objects since so many cars have fold flat second row seats even if they have a conventional trunk design.

I do not believe the Model Y will simply be a Model 3 with a hatchback. The Y will likely have a higher seating position, higher roofline, slightly squarer rear end and a hatchback.

Last edited:
Twitter

@CmaxVs Only way to get enough rear passenger headroom was to move the rear roof cross-car support beam. A bike will still fit no problem.
-Elon

I think they want the Model 3 to make a good taxi.

Okay this makes sense - so there is some functionality reason behind the trunk opening.

I fail to see why anyone who wants 4 doors would automatically rule out a 4-door car that had a hatch instead of a conventional trunk, given that the overall body shape can be basically the same.

99.99% of people would not rule it out - you are correct that categories have been scrambled and hatch backs now look like sedans (witness the Model S - which most regular people believe is a sedan - only a few car nerds know that it is technically a hatchback).

I think they want the Model 3 to make a good taxi.
If I were a taxi/Uber driver I'd rather have an opening like the S than have to bend over and slide luggage in and out of the opening in the 3.

I would think the market share would be bigger if it had a trunk opening like the S (which many people consider to be a hatchback). This is why BMW makes the GT and Gran Coupe and Audi is coming out with the Sportback. This has been the biggest complaint by far about the design of the 3. I haven't heard anyone complain about the huge trunk opening on the S and wishing it were smaller (though there may be a few).

Last edited:
The other thing to consider is that in order to NOT have keyless entry, Tesla would never to develop/purchase the manual keyed system. This would be more expensive than just re-using the tech they already have.
The same with navigation - it is absolutely integral to an EV since you need to know where your next charge is coming from and what is available.
My non-"tech package" 2013 has no NAV nor keyless entry. I use the fob for unlocking, no need for a conventional key. Also I know where chargers are, I have GPS; just no directions.
I expect Tesla does not want to sell many $35k cars and will have something like the original tech package for the 3 also.

Reactions: bmah and Az_Rael