Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The computer in my 2012 Model S has been struggling more and more.
Voice control frequently doesn't work.
The central screen is rebooting several times a week, sometimes several times in a row.
Web browser pretty much never works.

The struggles have been slowly increasing over the last couple years.

My car is in for service, and it will be my last service before my extended warranty expires. Tesla says that they don't see anything wrong, but the regular reboots and lack of voice control are really annoying. Any suggestions on what I can do?

thanks

Search this forum for eMMC and read because it sounds like yours is about to give up the ghost. There are aftermarket repairs that will run around $500 and render your car w/o a MCU for at least a week once you're out of warranty. If I were you, I'd press Tesla to replace it now while you're still under warranty because it sounds like MCU replacement (usually with a refurb) runs anywhere from two to three thousand dollars and varies from service center to service center seemingly.

Reactions: Akikiki
I understand that it's dying, but Tesla says "there is nothing further that we can do in the service center regarding the MCU at this time." My car now has 100,000 miles on it, and I think my ESA is only good until 100k, right? (I made the repair request at 99,500 miles).
They asked for timestamps of it rebooting. I provided some dates/times. I don't know what they did with that information. They say I should have taken a photo of my problem. (a photo of the T on the screen while it's rebooting? will that really be helpful to them?)
I've been grumbling to them about the computer for a year now. What do I do when they say sorry we can't help?

My charging and battery system are going crazy. Help desk logs in, "nothing wrong, it's all perfect""
My charging rate is 30kw, I'm on the phone, parked in super charger. Man walks up, pulls my error codes, "you have battery coolant error codes". Drives off, I schedule a ranger to come to office and diagnose. Tesla in Runnell, Iowa, refuses to send him. Troubshooting must be done at service center,
My service center said TPMS RESET never existed. I needed to pay1400 to upgrade. No, hell no. Finally an update restored my TPMS now works fine,.
I see a pattern here, if you read a hundred post on here, it seems service centers are really trying to either rape our wallets, or get us past warranty expire date. Seriously, I might have missed one, but I've yet to read a post raving about how great their service center was to them. Mine was really wonderful 4 years ago. Not so now.