Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck at 36kw on SuC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a supercharger error. Is anyone else there to confirm? I had this at the Leeds one a few weeks back. Look on the supercharger app to see if anyone else has had issues recently.

App Store search ‘superchargers’ if you don’t already have it. Or post which supercharger you’re at and I’ll look.

I heckled the app no one else had issue in face someone just reported a good charge at greater rate.

Don’t recall a dotted yellow line, last time at same stall I was getting 80/90kw :( I got to 80% and was on my way just a little slower than I’d wanted.

Maybe it was my car...

I heckled the app no one else had issue in face someone just reported a good charge at greater rate.

Don’t recall a dotted yellow line, last time at same stall I was getting 80/90kw :( I got to 80% and was on my way just a little slower than I’d wanted.

Maybe it was my car...

Had you been driving for a while before you arrived at the SuC? If the battery isn’t nice and warm the rate of charge will be slow, irrespective of the SoC. We are now heading into the colder weather.....

Had you been driving for a while before you arrived at the SuC? If the battery isn’t nice and warm the rate of charge will be slow, irrespective of the SoC. We are now heading into the colder weather.....
Agreed, this sounds like the most likely reason that the charge rate is slow. In colder weather it can take up to an hour for the battery to be warmed up sufficiently to accept the maximum supercharger power. The dashed yellow lines on the power meter are a clue but even when they disappear it doesn't mean the battery is fully warm: on my S70 max regen is 50kW which is less than half of the max supercharging rate.

The usual culprits for slower-than-max supercharging:
Battery state of charge (not an issue in this case, you should be able to get >36kW at 50%)
Sharing a charger pair (normally you'd see a flat rate of exactly 30, 60 or 90 kW if there is a car actively charging on the same pair)
Cold battery (see above)

Possible fault situations
For all of these check by using a different bay if possible (already done in this case)
Damaged/wet connector (check before plugging in)
Fault inside the cabinet (check Supercharger app, use the phone number to report to Tesla)
Fault with the car (see above)
Anecdotally Tesla are very good at servicing and maintaining Superchargers so fault situations are actually pretty rare.

Have you got TeslaFi? If so worth checking the Raw Data ... that would tell you if Battery Heater came on during the charge, as well as how long/far you had been driving before Supercharging, and what the ambient temperature was (those would allow wet-finger-in-air as to whether the battery was still cold when you got to the Supercharger)

In cold weather better to charge night-before, at the end of a drive when battery warm, rather than first-thing-in-morning when battery is cold ... always assuming you have the luxury of that choice of course :)

Thanks for suggestions guys, I think most likely answer is cold battery, hadn’t been driving for a massive amount of time so I suspect it was a cold battery however I’ll plan my next suc on a warm batt

I do have teslafi currently on a trial account but I’m getting loads of battery drain when I’m use so I’m thinking of ditching it

Lol
In my ice car I’d worked it out and pushed a solid 50miles after petrol light came on. So I knew how much buffer and how much to push it. Interesting when I did fill up I’d always put more fuel in for example I think my last had a 62l tank and I’d always get 65 in it so I guess I was on fumes

I’m now trying to discover what the same is in the MX.

I find it really interesting that in an ICE car I’d never look and range till empty number just the petrol gage as it was essentially a random number generator so I started with the MX just using %battery but my ass was going when I’d get to 20/10% so now I’m trying usin typical miles and so far it’s pretty accurate. So think I’m gonna stick with that rather than % and see how low I can go.

My work run is about 22miles and this morning with the heater on I used about 26miles of range which I didn’t think was bad, coming home I used a little less as it wasn’t as cold. The M62 being stuck on 50mph is helping my wh/m average :)

Another related question. I’ve ready that my battery is actually 90kw as they all have an extra 15kw of battery capacity my assumption is that this is to run the car rather than range and it makes sense that cars have this when Tesla unlock more range during storms etc.

My question is... is this true? And if so how long does 1% of battery really last you when your down to the wire, I read so much and had a few people comment on insta that there is a reserve when your really low to get you a bit further but is this urban myth and actually just range mode doing its stuff?

I read on Teslafi that the top range in a 75D was 217miles I think on full charge... I wanna smash that!!

Tesla unlock more range during storms etc

That was only for cars which were sold with bigger batteries, but software limited to smaller size, in order to boost sales at some point in the past. An unlock-for-cash option was available to those owners, and Tesla did the unlock for people escaping from a hurricane in USA at that time.

there is a reserve when your really low to get you a bit further but is this urban myth

Urban myth. There is some additional battery capacity, but that is there to stop the battery ever discharging to 0%, because if it did it would never recharge again ...

Of course when it hits 0% on the dashboard you might well have some extra miles, but only if the software calculations are "off". And running out of Juice in an EV is way more hassle than doing the same in an ICE. If you manage to squeeze 10 miles out of it, at 0%, one day there is no guarantee that it would do that next time. Whereas the EMPTY light on my ICE has the same juice-left every time I use it, and the same rubbish software that does not compensate for the shape of the tank such that the final 1/4 of the tank gives me dramatically fewer miles than the other three 1/4's

Perhaps ? charging to 100%, once in a while (or "anyway" when you do trips), to balance the cells, will make absolute range calculations more accurate, fixing an drift-error that would otherwise occur.

I have a short run (less than 10 miles) that I do a number of evenings a week. Its country roads, flat around here in East Anglia, but enough undulations to make hypermiling fun. I can relatively easily do that at 270 wH/mi but I'd like to try for 250 ... whilst still driving at reasonable speed. Always astonishes me how far the MS will coast (in neutral) and how little down-slope-angle it needs to stop losing speed.

Reactions: MagicMagicD
I started with the MX just using %battery but my ass was going when I’d get to 20/10% so now I’m trying usin typical miles and so far it’s pretty accurate. So think I’m gonna stick with that rather than % and see how low I can go.

I find "typical miles" is way off the mark in the winter months, so I only use percentage battery on the dash display. But you can get a reasonably accurate remaining range from the energy usage page by looking at the "average range" based on the last 30 miles of consumption (the longest of the 3 options available). I don't understand why they don't show this figure on the dash display on the energy graph (which only displays the much less useful Wh/mile consumption figure).

Also using the sat nav with your destination set gives you a running calculation of your arrival and round trip battery state, which is usually very accurate. When range is critical, this is the tool to be using.

Also using the sat nav with your destination set gives you a running calculation of your arrival and round trip battery state, which is usually very accurate. When range is critical, this is the tool to be using.

^ This.

The "actual" graph line shows deviation from prediction (over/under) so if I start my trip driving conservatively, because range is a bit tight, and I then get traffic / roadworks at 50 MPH for a stretch, and my Actual is then well over the Predicted, I can hammer it ... until they come back in line again :)

When needing to stop to Supercharge anyway there is no point arriving with anything spare, per se. It is quicker, overall, to drive-faster and charge-longer (up to 90MPH ~ 100 MPH from the graphs I have seen) so as I get closer to Supercharger, and confidence increases, I push on faster.