Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in mud...recover from rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trac-Grabbers are on order and be at my door Thursday. Also purchased the hi-lift adapter also due Thursday. I will reply with a review.
I'd be worried that the Trac-Grabbers might just dig a bigger hole. Obviously make sure there's enough clearance in the wheel well too. With hi-lift be careful not have ti slip into the side of car. I'd recommend doing it with two people (though I've never had to use the lift mate adapter myself or the jack for that matter. haha).
The car really needs a rear recovery point- simple.
I've got one :D
IMG_2598.jpg

Reactions: android04
Interested in this - might you be able to elaborate? I can get a tow vehicle behind it or to side of vehicle with tow hook but don’t want to tug at such a sharp angle where the strap will touch the front.
The tow truck driver told me to hold off looking for the tow hook (had to unpack frank or trunk) while he looked under the front of the car. I don’t know what he attached to. Key to the success was my driving while he was pulling.

I had called for a flat bed truck to tow as Tesla says (all four wheels off the ground) but that truck couldn’t reach us without getting stuck itself. I had called Tesla for advice and sent them pictures as requested. My wife was in the phone with Tesla when I was towed out. Maybe you can call Tesla and learn where the straps could be attached.

So are those rubber blocks a joke? no one has posted about them but me and I have never used one but it seems it should work?

There is a product called, "Truckclaws," basically a more robust version of the Trac Grabber, and they work well, but are more for trucks. One thing that is nice about either option is that the tire is lifted up about 1" when the block hits the ground, this allows you to slide something for traction under the tire. You just have to stop the wheel from turning while the block is near 6:30. Good luck

Yea - most transport use the wheel web straps anymore.

So M3 is out of the bog. Couldn't wait for the other devices to show up. Asked some other tow/recovery folks on how they've done it. I've got plenty of large recovery straps but nothing small like wheel slings. Went to Wally Mart and grabbed two 20ft tow straps with loops (not hooks). Wrapped one through each rear wheel and back to center. Used large d-ring and fed all 4 loop ends into d-shackle and then my clip from the winch to the D-ring shackle. Placed the car in "Transport Mode." Began to take in slack to see the angles that the wheel straps were going to take based on the anchor point and my winch. Took sometime mainly because my 10K winch actually struggled with the weight and the mud that started to accumulate behind all 4 wheels. Lots of mud but the car is OK, no issues to report.

Last edited:
Yea - most transport use the wheel web straps anymore.

So M3 is out of the bog. Couldn't wait for the other devices to show up. Asked some other tow/recovery folks on how they've done it. I've got plenty of large recovery straps but nothing small like wheel slings. Went to Wally Mart and grabbed two 20ft tow straps with loops (not hooks). Wrapped one through each rear wheel and back to center. Used large d-ring and fed all 4 loop ends into d-shackle and then my clip from the winch to the D-ring shackle. Placed the car in "Transport Mode." Began to take in slack to see the angles that the wheel straps were going to take based on the anchor point and my winch. Took sometime mainly because my 10K winch actually struggled with the wait and the mud that started to accumulate behind all 4 wheels. Lots of mud but the car is OK, no issues to report.
No pictures? :( I can't visualize all that in my head.

The problem is if you're pulling straight back the wheel may rotate and then the strap will push against the bumper cover.
If it is P it seems unlikely that it would rotate. However I'm not sure how you'd get the strap to stay on the bottom instead of riding up to the center of the wheel? Maybe wrap it around the outside of the tire? Ug.

<edit> I guess I should have read a bit further. That's basically what you did, only just used the spokes to keep it down. Glad it was you that found this out and you posted, thanks. I'm paranoid about track days at the local circuit, it is a very flat area that is rather swampy most of the time. I install the tow hook ahead of time but if I nose without spinning or spin some even multiple of 360 they'll not want to be driving out there in front of me with the facilities tow truck.

Last edited:
I do a significant amount of overlanding (long distance 4wd) and I can honestly say based on this and past experience with snow, mud is far worse than snow as far as recovery.
If nothing else snow is much, much easier to shovel. :p You can highpoint your entire vehicle on snow and it's just a couple hours with a single person, at most, of shoveling to get the wheels down to something with traction. I have firsthand experience here.

Mud on the other hand is a LOT heavier and harder to shovel, normally more water/mud will flow in from around when you do, and the depth that mud goes to can be rather daunting. I've seen Cat D9 bulldozers disappear, literally the whole thing just sink out of sight save for the top plate of the cab so you know it's still there. :eek:

If it is P it seems unlikely that it would rotate. However I'm not sure how you'd get the strap to stay on the bottom instead of riding up to the center of the wheel? Maybe wrap it around the outside of the tire? Ug.
If you had D-ring straps, you could have looped through and around the wheel, which would keep the straps on the outside of the wheel.

For the left side the strap would look like this "P"