Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Study says fuel taxes are the best way to encourage sales of greener cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of ways to compensate poor people for the extra few dollars spent on these taxes.

Huh? Compensate poor people? Perhaps you are referring to folks NOT receiving some sort of government support or assistance of any kind? Perhaps you're talking about people that WANT to work, since you're advocating better public transit. Sure, but it shouldn't be a free check to those that want their Obamaphone, subsidized housing, subsidized electricity, subsidized food stamps, subsidized or free Obamacare, free Medicare (the list goes on) without something in return, like work. You want to eat, you work out in the potato field. Communism? No - work. Any beneficial work that pays for benefits and 'programs' you are receiving. There's no free lunch!

... what's your solution to curbing our fools fuel addiction?

Some ideas? Move fossil fuel subsidies from big oil to sustainable hydro, wind, or solar technologies. As the average EV vehicle becomes equal to the cost of an equivalent ICE car, and equally attractive, eliminate all EV subsidies as well as EV vehicles become mainstream. Just as the useless EPA mandated more fuel efficient vehicles, mandate that automakers make more efficient EV vehicles, with incremental battery efficiencies annually (you pick the number). Mandate that all new homes are built to maximize solar collection and businesses where feasible. One-hundred percent of my solar generation offsets my entire monthly electric bill except for those pesky 'distribution' charges. Mandate that all fossil fuel savings incurred by utilities must be placed into renewable and sustainable hydro, wind, or solar generation.

If that's not enough, terminate 10% of both useless democrats and useless republicans in federal and state government.

Lol.
If one were responsible, they would buy a used leaf and use the remainder of the money to buy carbon credits rather than getting tax payer subsidies to buy a very expensive car.

Abhorrent is the poor subsidizing the rich rather than having the rich buy responsibly and help out by buying carbon credits.

So am I assume that you never buy any luxury items and subsist entirely on fish heads and rice so you can donate as much $$$ as possible to the poor?

This is about conservation without deprivation... not about eliminating a quality of life you worked for... want a fast car? Don't be a lazy POS and buy some crappy ICE... work for it and buy something electric... or settle for a LEAF/Volt.

My Asian wife and I happen to love rice and fish heads. I suppose eating fish heads is all about responsible eating and support of sustainable fishing by consuming everything the fish has to offer, including the head and those little beady eyes :)

I wish that utopia existed where people weighed the external costs of their actions... I really do. But in the real world most people are ignorant and selfish. People didn't voluntarily stop smoking in restaurants and airplanes forcing other to endure the risks of second hand smoke... it had to be banned.

Perhaps EVs will advance to the point that they can legitimately compete with ICE... but the science is clear... we can't wait... and we can't take that risk. We need to attach the external costs of using fools fuel to the operating cost of ICE... and that external cost is astronomical.
Yeah, I realize that there is a vast difference between where we are and where we want to be. I just hate being coerced by incentives and taxes. Ah life between the carrot and the sword.