Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open letter to Mrs Carrie Lam - Support for electric vehicles in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see an arbitrage here. If you own a 6 year old cheap car and had it for 3 years, you go and buy a Tesla and get a 250k discount. Register the car, and then sell it immediately for its market price without driving a single kilometer and make a handsome profit.

Tesla marketing and legal should make a plan to match this demand (buyer) and supply (ppl who got a old car to scrape, but not interested to buy a new car). With the Tesla as middleman platform, buyer can still build to order their dream car, and sellers can take advantage of any financial benefit provided from the platform, without actually paying to buy a new car.

I can see an arbitrage here. If you own a 6 year old cheap car and had it for 3 years, you go and buy a Tesla and get a 250k discount. Register the car, and then sell it immediately for its market price without driving a single kilometer and make a handsome profit.

Hong Kong doesn’t seem like a place where people just keep old cars sitting around. There is no way I could afford keeping a car park just so I can keep a car that I could easily scrap.

In any case, I like that cars will get scrapped. At least newer ICE cars should be more efficient (excl diesel cars with defeat mechanisms)

I know this is useless, but had still sent this to the gov........what else can we do?

你好, 本人這封投訴email 同時send 給申訴專員公署,特首, 財政司, 環保署,希望貴署認真回應。別再一味例牌回應。另外,這封信亦會發給媒體。

本人對於今年2018財政預算提出以一換一的電動車‘計劃’感到無比憤怒,因為明顯地,這計劃只是美其名鼓勵市民換電動車,但實際郤起不到任何作用。情況有如2017 年取消電動車稅全免一樣,根本在一開始已經可以預計新增電動車會大減,反而汽油車將會大升。

首先,請問政府可否提供數據,有多少人在劏車後會即時買一部新車?

眾所周知,香港二手車買賣容易,一般人如果想換走約6年左右的舊車,他們會選擇賣走,大約可以賣到十數萬圓,但如果要劏車,得到的將會是零,net-net,這計劃對他們來說根本沒有吸引力。

另一邊,如果某人真的有一架很舊的車,賣不到錢多少了,但這類人一般經濟不是很強,根本不會拿幾十萬圓去買一架新車。

我認為這個計劃最大一個問題是切斷了供求;有些人有錢換新車,郤沒有舊車可劏(仍可賣十數萬的車拿去劏?不會有人做)有些人有車可劏,郤沒有經濟能力買新車。

要解決,我認為應移除要持有舊車三年以上的限制,這樣便可有效利用資源;政府說這會造成炒風,我認為是亂吹。首先,再2016年,在電動車全數免稅的時代,一年也只是賣出2千多部電動車,這個需求在有幾十萬部車的香港,根本不可能拉高劏車需求造成炒風。另外,車不是生活必需品,政府有需要理會炒風嗎?我在想政府有理會過每年iphone的炒風嗎? 所以,請政府別再亂吹!

取消三年限制亦不會令汽車總數上升,試想:
甲 有舊車一架,賣給乙
甲另外買一部二手車
乙把這舊車劏了,買入一架新電動車

總和,香港是少了一架舊車,而新增了一架電動車,這是三嬴的局面,嬴的是香港,甲方, 及乙方!

稅務以外,政府完全沒有提及對充電設施的支持,現時充電設施仍嚴重不足,即使電動車再過去一年零增長 (如果政䇿不變,可以預計未來三年,電動車仍會是接近零增長),仍然不容易找到公共充電位。本人多次提及,政府應大力發展中速充電,定立目標!

我也不強求政府提出禁售汽油車的目標了,政府好像是有一個2020年香港要有30%電動車的目標,明顯地,現在政府政䇿是向反方向而行,‘目標’對香港政府根本只是一句口號而己。

以上總總,我希望政府能立即檢視及糾正政䇿,真心的推廣電動車及其充電設施,別再玩弄市民的常識。亦希望申訴專員公署可以著力調查政府在推廣電動車的退步。

本人三十多歲,我真的不希望到我下一代長大,全世界各地如中國,美國都大量應用電動車時,香港仍停留在今天路面空氣污染嚴重,以及充電設施嚴重不足的年代。。。這樣的香港將會是一個第三世界。

I had about six minutes with the Financial Secretary on RTHK radio show late last week. I gave him the figures 2016 last 9 months vs 2017 last 9 months (7% EVs to 0.3% EVs; down to less than 100 EVs total in the last 9 months of 2016) and he simply denied they showed any decline in EV sales. Twice. He said that the issue was the large number of EVs sold in Feb/March (post-announcement, pre-implementation, of the new policy), combined with a large number of diesel cars sold prior to the restrictions coming into place last year.

Seriously. You can listen to it here:

Podcast: Financial Secretary Phone-in
(starting at around 14:20, and through to 20:45)

This is our Financial Secretary. He thinks that going from 400+ cars a month, on average, to about 10 a month consistently for the 9 months post policy, is not a decline.

@Mille Pun asks what we can do? The answer is continue what we are doing. Highlight the situation in the real world to these people, and show their denials and lack of action for what they are; pandering to the vested interests that is the petrol/diesel automobile industry. Write to the FS, the Ombudsman, Carrie Lam. Tell them we need a concrete plan to address the problem that is our roadside air quality, and traffic congestion. Tell them that the EV industry here has been decimated by the actions of this man, presumably backed by Carrie Lam, and nothing in these two budgets adequately addresses the core issues affecting our society.

Mark, well said and that’s really frustrating to talk to this guy. He simply selectively denying the fact, the actual stat. In Chinese, it is telling lie with eye wide opening. His motivation? Very obvious and not to discuss here.

I’d written to the ombudsman, Carrie Lam to challenge that the government targeted to have 30% EV on the road by 2020, obviously it is not achievable. But the problem is they are doing nothing (if not the opposite way) to get to the target.

0.3% of EV in new vehicles is objectivly a bad result, given that their target is 30% on the road. So they can blindly deny its declining, but they cannot deny it is a bad growth now. They have to do more!

Chinese language only, but here is what China is doing:

总理点名新能源、二手车和汽车关税,今年汽车领域有哪些大变化?
总理点名新能源、二手车和汽车关税,今年汽车领域有哪些大变化?

//国务院总理李克强代表国务院在第十三届全国人民代表大会第一次会议上作政府工作报告。政府工作报告提出,将新能源汽车车辆购置税优惠政策再延长三年,全面取消二手车限迁政策。
《每日经济新闻》记者了解到,2017年12月27日,财政部、国家税务总局、工业和信息化部、科技部曾联合发布《四部门关于免征新能源汽车车辆购置税的公告》,明确自2018年1月1日至2020年12月31日,对购置的新能源汽车免征车辆购置税,适用车型包括获得许可在中国境内销售的纯电动汽车、插电式(含增程式)混合动力汽车、燃料电池汽车。//

TLDR; China announces that all new energy vehicles will be free of purchase tax until the end of 2020.

That is a joke. If the gov think a 6 years old car should be scraped and to be replace by an EV. And if the gov really want to promote EV. Should they scrape all the FS, CEO governor cars .....etc today and replace by EV? Make sense, right?

This is our Financial Secretary. He thinks that going from 400+ cars a month, on average, to about 10 a month consistently for the 9 months post policy, is not a decline.

他續指,現時從外國進口的電動私家車續航力已比過往好,一般車價約30-40萬元或以下的電動車,其續航力已約達300-400公里

you can see how good his maths is when he announced waiving DSE exam fee and the later $4k for the poor programme