Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Acceleration - NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Models included in the investigation are 2012 through 2019 model year Model S, 2016 through 2019 model year Model X, and 2018 through 2019 model year Tesla Model 3cars. The investigation opened on January 13, though the initial request for investigation was received via email on December 19, 2019, and stated the subject of the probe as "sudden unintended acceleration" in these cars."

From the petition (emphasis added by me)

Action:
Open this Defect Petition for a grant or deny decision.

Summary:
On December 19, 2019, the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) received a defect petition by email requesting a defect investigation of alleged sudden unintended acceleration in model year (MY) 2012 through 2019 Tesla Model S, MY 2016 through 2019 Tesla Model X, and MY 2018 through 2019 Tesla Model 3 vehicles. In support of his request, the petitioner cited 127 consumer complaints to NHTSA involving 123 unique vehicles. The reports include 110 crashes and 52 injuries. A copy of the petition will be added to the public file for this defect petition and ODI will evaluate the petitioner's allegations to determine if the petition should be granted or denied. If the petition is granted, ODI will open a defect investigation; if the petition is denied, ODI will publish a notice in the Federal Register.

SUA events are very common with many brands reporting thousands since recordkeeping started.

Recall happened to me with 2010 highlander, right after I bought it. Never had any symptoms. They cut part of the pedal. Funny At the time the public blamed the computer in the car/ Hal :)

Biggest problem was they offered free maintenance to new buyers to entice, but I didn't get it since i bought right before :(

Last edited:
Hmm. I never believed there's such "unintended" acceleration even after my wife hit the stuff lean on the garage wall and claimed it's the car which accelerate by itself. I smiled at her and said yes it's the car, not you. But few days ago, I noticed this "unintended" acceleration by myself while driving in the snow. Two times I were more or less believed the traction control were engaged while turning slowly, right after the traction control released, I felt a sudden acceleration from the motor. I convinced myself that's how traction control works at the time. But the third time is a bit scary, I slowed down the car in order to give a little bit more space to an upcoming car on a snow-narrowed street, suddenly, the car jumped ahead about half of a foot before I hit the brake. Can't explain this as I'm sure traction control was not on and I was on a straight drive. BTW, I already switched to chill mode and regen set to low.

Last edited:
Hmm. I never believed there's such "unintended" acceleration even after my wife hit the stuff lean on the garage wall and claimed it's the car which accelerate by itself. I smiled at her and said yes it's the car, not you. But few days ago, I noticed this "unintended" acceleration by myself while driving in the snow. Two times I were more or less believed the traction control were engaged while turning slowly, right after the traction control released, I felt a sudden acceleration from the motor. I convinced myself that's how traction control works at the time. But the third time is a bit scary, I slowed down the car in order to give a little bit more space to an upcoming car on a snow-narrowed street, suddenly, the car jumped ahead about half of a foot before I hit the brake. Can't explain this as I'm sure traction control was not on and I was on a straight drive. BTW, I already switched to chill mode and regen set to low.

Might be worth your while to set up a couple of dash cams to try and capture the behavior. One aimed at the pedals and one with a view of the screen. Would at least answer the traction control question, which might cause behavior like that.

Another option would be to set up CANbus logging with ScanMyTesla. I think pedal application might be on the bus, not sure about traction control application tho.

Might be worth your while to set up a couple of dash cams to try and capture the behavior. One aimed at the pedals and one with a view of the screen. Would at least answer the traction control question, which might cause behavior like that.

Another option would be to set up CANbus logging with ScanMyTesla. I think pedal application might be on the bus, not sure about traction control application tho.

I'm not sure if it worth or not. It only happened 4 times for the last 7 - 8 months. Three happened in one snow day. So I blame the snow for now. I'll definitely consider your suggestion if it ever happen again.Thanks!

PJ O'Rourke's description of the Sudden Acceleration Incident craze of the 1980s (found in his book Parliament of Whores), describes what happened when the National Highway Safety Transportation Authority released its report on the phenomenon:

==

"In the twinkling of an eye (by the standards of bureaucratic time, which is slower than geologic time but more expensive than time spent with Madame Claude's girls in Paris) the thing was done. On March 7, 1989, the DOT-NHTSA-ODI-TSC-OPSAD-VRTC . . . effort produced an eighty-one page report written by an eight man group of engineering savants with more than fifty years of college among them. This document presented evidence from exhaustive experiment and analysis that proved what everybody who understands how to open the hood of a car had known all along about SAIs: "Pedal misapplications are the likely cause of these incidents."

Yes, the dumb buggers stepped on the gas instead of the brake. The government had released a huge report showing that there was no such thing as unintended acceleration in automobiles. They could be safely left unattended.

So the truth was out, and we people who like automobiles and can tell our right foot from our elbow should have been glad. But there was, in fact, no reason to celebrate. This message from the federal bowl of Alpha-Bits had cost us taxpayers millions of dollars and came too late to save Audi from the ignorance, credulity, opportunism and sheer Luddite malice directed toward that corporation and its products. Furthermore, the Department of Transportation press release introducing the SAI report absolved the paddle-shoed, dink-wit perpetrators of sudden acceleration. It just let Betty Dumb-Toes and Joe Boat-Foot right off the hook:

NHTSA declined to characterize the cause of sudden acceleration as driver error. Driver error may imply carelessness or willfulness in failing to operate a car properly. Pedal misapplication is more descriptive. It could happen to even the most attentive driver who inadvertently selects the wrong pedal and continues to do so unwittingly.

The next time I get pulled over by the state highway patrol, I'm telling the officer, "You probably intend to ticket me for speeding, which would be driver error. But pedal misapplication is more descriptive of what occurred. It could happen to even the most attentive driver who inadvertently selects the wrong pedal and continues to do so unwittingly."

Then the NHTSA functionary gave me an explanation--the second most disheartening thing I ever heard in Washington—of why the DOT had to commission a multi-million-dollar study to prove that there is no such thing as sudden acceleration even though he and everyone else at DOT knew sudden-acceleration incidents didn't exist: SAIs would be reported to NHTSA. NHTSA would investigate them thoroughly. NHTSA would say they were caused by human error. And no one believed NHTSA.

The public would say, "Who me? Make a mistake? Me, the voter?"

In a democracy we regular citizens don't make mistakes. We never get in a car and step on the wrong pedal and run people over. Somebody does these things to us. The Trilateral Commission or the Freemasons. Maybe it's part of the Iran-contra conspiracy or a big foreign corporation's fault. You can't blame us.

And indeed, the DOT couldn't blame us. Even after completing its massive study of SAIs and showing that SAIs were all our own fault, the DOT couldn't quite bring itself to blame us.

Still, the study had to be done. Before the SAI study, blame evasion was getting out of hand. Newspapers were saying that sudden acceleration was caused by malfunctioning cruise-control mechanisms. The Center for Automotive Safety was claiming that radio waves made the computers in cars act up. Other ignorati pointed fingers at arcane goings-on within transmission housings and fuel-injection systems. Then, when "60 Minutes" did its piece on SAIs, Audis began jumping and leaping and cavorting in suburban driveways like killer whales at Sea World, and the sky turned legal-pad yellow with law suits.

The people at DOT had to make their investigation of sudden acceleration not because they're fools, but because we are."

Phantom braking definitely a huge issue with autopilot but does get better with certain updates.

i used to never believe the phantom acceleration stories until it happened to me twice in the Tesla. Haven’t wrecked but sure is scary.

i cancelled the safety option that accelerates you out of danger after the second time it happened. Hopefully doesn’t happen again

I think it will do that on slippery surfaces to avoid rear wheel lockup.

I slowed down the car in order to give a little bit more space to an upcoming car on a snow-narrowed street, suddenly, the car jumped ahead about half of a foot before I hit the brake

Agreed, this can happen quite noticeably even if you just hit a bump in the road. It's particularly noticeable if you're using regen with slight accelerator application, to simply maintain your current speed (like on a downhill). Were you on a slight downhill at all in these situations? It would be more noticeable there (but obviously would be noticeable in any case if regen is reduced). Was your regen set to low (you might still notice it though - low regen is not zero regen)?

Phantom braking definitely a huge issue with autopilot but does get better with certain updates.

i used to never believe the phantom acceleration stories until it happened to me twice in the Tesla. Haven’t wrecked but sure is scary.

i cancelled the safety option that accelerates you out of danger after the second time it happened. Hopefully doesn’t happen again

Had my first phantom brake last night.

Wasn’t fun.

If anyone is close enough behind me I’ll be turning off AP until they get that sorted out.

Reactions: ElectricIAC