Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have started to noticed battery drains 3-5% when car is parked at home and at work. Usually this is 8-10 hours time span. Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection are off as well. I had the car for 2 years and never noticed this type of issue. It usually drains about 1% at most when parked at these specific location. Any suggestions or feedback on why this is happening all of a sudden?

Seems in line with the car staying awake. Sentry mode does that typically but you have verified it's off. Are you launching the mobile app often? That also wakes the car. Is your app up to date on your phone? A few versions were keeping cars awake...
Oh dam! Didn’t realize there was an app update 2 days ago. Just updated the app. Hopefully this will solve it.

I do not launch the app often at all as well.

I am having a very similar issue. Battery % drops 2-5% almost instantly. Usually in the 59%-65% range. This happens at home, while plugged in (in a garage and sentry mode deactivated). Eg. I returned from a drive and parked at 64%. Plugged in the car (sentry off). A few minutes later, battery is at 61%. I’ve seen the drop as much as 5%, in one case.

Also, I’ve seen the vehicle report higher than the charging limit after overnight charging. Eg. charging limit set to 70%. Car charges and sends notification of reaching charging limit overnight. When I check in the morning, charge is at 73%.

I use Tessie as a 3rd party app to monitor details of my driving habits and battery performance. App is set NOT to wake the car every time I open it. Been using it since delivery in FEB 22. Symptoms described above only started in August.

Tesla has done some remote diagnosis, but came up with nothing. Any ideas?

I have noticed with the software update 2022.36.2 that the car doesn't stay asleep. While I am at work I have sentry mode off and use the stats app which has a widget for my home screen. Before the update it would show zzzz indicating the car is in low power mode for my entire work day, but now it bouncing in and out of sleep mode.. I have confirmed sentry mode is off... weird.. I guess I will look at the new energy app and see whats using energy

Reactions: SaHaRa
Sentry mode is off and has been off. Dropped 3% in 4 hours

95A56D1A-B244-474F-A53E-C0856D1C7360.jpeg

Attachments

• DA17FB58-3856-47CA-AA13-BD022F355159.jpeg
    DA17FB58-3856-47CA-AA13-BD022F355159.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 95
The sudden battery drain is back! Lose about 4% within the first 40 mins. I checked everything: sentry mode, cabin overheat protection, app on my phone, and app on my wife’s phone. Everything is off and has been off. Am I missing anything else? Tesla was no help. They ran a diagnostic test on my battery and said everything was good. They said it’s probably due to battery degradation?

A change in SOC doesn't necessarily mean a drain as in energy consumption. It can be BMS adjustment of its estimates and it can be for reporting less available energy due to temperature (cold), as two counter examples. You should not always assume that SOC going down means energy loss.

4% in 40 minutes is a lot. The only thing I can think of that would really consume that much energy in such a short time would be the AC/heating, whether because your cabin AC/heating is still running or because your battery is toasty (recent supercharging) and the car needs to continue to cool it.

The sudden battery drain is back! Lose about 4% within the first 40 mins. I checked everything: sentry mode, cabin overheat protection, app on my phone, and app on my wife’s phone. Everything is off and has been off. Am I missing anything else? Tesla was no help. They ran a diagnostic test on my battery and said everything was good. They said it’s probably due to battery degradation?
There is a known issue with some Tesla Model Y vehicles, maybe 2022.36.2 but could also be other releases where the Climate Control system remains On after the Model Y has been parked. The Climate Control will run for up to 2 hours. Try manually turning off the Climate Control before you exit the Model Y.

A change in SOC doesn't necessarily mean a drain as in energy consumption. It can be BMS adjustment of its estimates and it can be for reporting less available energy due to temperature (cold), as two counter examples. You should not always assume that SOC going down means energy loss.

4% in 40 minutes is a lot. The only thing I can think of that would really consume that much energy in such a short time would be the AC/heating, whether because your cabin AC/heating is still running or because your battery is toasty (recent supercharging) and the car needs to continue to cool it.
I have not been running my AC/heating lately. I did run the AC a lot during the summer, but never had this type of battery drain. At most maybe 1% lost.

There is a known issue with some Tesla Model Y vehicles, maybe 2022.36.2 but could also be other releases where the Climate Control system remains On after the Model Y has been parked. The Climate Control will run for up to 2 hours. Try manually turning off the Climate Control before you exit the Model Y.
Climate control has been off and I’m still on 2022.20.18

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe