Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes absolutely no sense. To turn something on to relieve battery drain????
I agree. Doesn’t make sense to me either. So I don’t do it. Did have the overheat on but now that temps stay around 70 degrees it is off. Will see. Waiting for next update to see what happens then. Right now logging out of Tesla app when done for night. No battery drain last couple of days. Drove today used 2% which is just about right for how I drive. Tesla model S 2021.

Just left Tesla Service. They said this type of battery lost is within spec and my battery is fine. They also said this is normal behavior especially for a car that is 2 years old. This is my first time owning a Tesla, so I’m not sure what to believe at this point. But they definitely wasted my time this morning!

Just left Tesla Service. They said this type of battery lost is within spec and my battery is fine. They also said this is normal behavior especially for a car that is 2 years old. This is my first time owning a Tesla, so I’m not sure what to believe at this point. But they definitely wasted my time this morning!
Similar experience for me. Lost 10% again last night. Set up service but was called back. Asked to increase the charge level. I drive in town didn’t think I needed to charge Tesla at a high level I charge 70%. Tesla Service stayed 80% so will set that level to see if my battery drain stops. My Tesla 2021 model s took delivery july if 2022. Sorry you had to go through that service with little or no solutions. Take care. Drive safe.

I have started to noticed battery drains 3-5% when car is parked at home and at work. Usually this is 8-10 hours time span. Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection are off as well. I had the car for 2 years and never noticed this type of issue. It usually drains about 1% at most when parked at these specific location. Any suggestions or feedback on why this is happening all of a sudden?
This is interesting. I've noticed this after every update. it usually settles back to normal after about a week.

Similar experience for me. Lost 10% again last night. Set up service but was called back. Asked to increase the charge level. I drive in town didn’t think I needed to charge Tesla at a high level I charge 70%. Tesla Service stayed 80% so will set that level to see if my battery drain stops. My Tesla 2021 model s took delivery july if 2022. Sorry you had to go through that service with little or no solutions. Take care. Drive safe.
Yesterday, I set my charge limit to 70% and this morning, just about 8 hours overnight it says my Vehicle Standby 6.1% battery was drained. I usually set it to 75% and 80% before, but didn't need that much battery for local driving so I decided to lower it. Then this happened! May be setting it too low drains more battery? My battery went from 66% to 60% when I woke up.
Here are the results of the last 8 hours while parked in my garage overnight:
Screen time: 0.0%
Preconditioning: 0.0%
Cabin Overheat Protection: 0.0%
Sentry mode: 0.0%
Mobile app: 0.0%
Summon standby: 0.0%
Vehicle standby: 6.1%

I did not have it plugged in this past night. I don't know why it drained that much battery in about 8 hours just parked at home in my garage! I don't have any 3rd party apps installed. I never checked my Tesla app, I was sleeping! Sentry mode turned off at home. This was the most drained to date in standby mode. Since last month, it was draining about 2% to 4% (vehicle standby mode) just parked in garage overnight. I updated to latest driver 2 days ago. Does cold weather drain battery or something? I did not notice this in summer time. However my low temp for last night was about 45 F degrees.

Last edited:
I restarted my phone a few days ago and it seems like my battery is back to normal now. I’ve lost at most 0.50% parking at home and work. But I also been doing a lot of troubleshooting the past month.

1. Most obvious, make sure sentry and cabin overheat protection is off

2. Make sure sentry mode is off on phone app and other users sharing the same car

3. Tesla app is up to date on all phones

4. All phones are up to date with the latest software

5. Restart car

6. Restart all phones

Hope this works. Let me know.

I restarted my phone a few days ago and it seems like my battery is back to normal now. I’ve lost at most 0.50% parking at home and work. But I also been doing a lot of troubleshooting the past month.

1. Most obvious, make sure sentry and cabin overheat protection is off

2. Make sure sentry mode is off on phone app and other users sharing the same car

3. Tesla app is up to date on all phones

4. All phones are up to date with the latest software

5. Restart car

6. Restart all phones

Hope this works. Let me know.
Dammit I spoke too soon! Sorry…it was good the past few days! Lost 3.3% in about 1.5 hours

DB0DFE43-93CE-4B22-9390-ED97233AED80.jpeg

Check that you don't have pending software that has failed to download. If it has, your car may be trying to connect to a weak wifi signal when parked and so never goes "to sleep". Connect your car a 5g phone hotspot, and once it has all downloaded the car should revert back to normal "phantom drain". It took me a while to work this out because Tesla help desk told me this could not be the cause!

Yesterday, I set my charge limit to 70% and this morning, just about 8 hours overnight it says my Vehicle Standby 6.1% battery was drained. I usually set it to 75% and 80% before, but didn't need that much battery for local driving so I decided to lower it. Then this happened! May be setting it too low drains more battery? My battery went from 66% to 60% when I woke up.

I did not have it plugged in this past night. I don't know why it drained that much battery in about 8 hours just parked at home in my garage! I don't have any 3rd party apps installed. I never checked my Tesla app, I was sleeping! Sentry mode turned off at home. This was the most drained to date in standby mode. Since last month, it was draining about 2% to 4% (vehicle standby mode) just parked in garage overnight. I updated to latest driver 2 days ago. Does cold weather drain battery or something? I did not notice this in summer time. However my low temp for last night was about 45 F degrees.
I had the same problem. In my case the latest software had failed to download because of a bad wifi signal at home so the car kept trying to download a massive file without success and therefore never entered sleep mode. I used a 5g mobile phone hotspot to complete the download and the car is back to normal...for now!

I was told by Tesla service to set battery level 80%. I have watched mine this week no battery drain. So I will leave at 80%.

I had the same problem. In my case the latest software had failed to download because of a bad wifi signal at home so the car kept trying to download a massive file without success and therefore never entered sleep mode. I used a 5g mobile phone hotspot to complete the download and the car is back to normal...for now!
My signal was weak or the antenna weak in the Tesla but either way the rate was 3kb a sec. It was trying to download for two weeks. Finally I took a hot spot and associated to it. It seemed to connect but the download was non existent. Switch to 2.4 and it connected at 350kb a second. Can’t believe the Y doesn’t do 5ghz. I read that it did but mine would not.

I also posted the following in a Model 3 thread, so moderators can remove if that's now allowed:

I've also been experiencing a big increase in battery drain (parked/standby) the past few weeks, often 4-6% in 24 hours. Vehicle is plugged in and charges to 65%. The energy app says the drain is due to vehicle standby. Sentry and Cabin Overheat are off. Some nights I don't lose any charge, or maybe 1%. But the big losses are new for my car. I know the car is sleeping properly because TezLab indicates so (it doesn't wake the car up).

I spoke to someone at Tesla who said that this is normal and the car will use energy to keep the battery warm (around 59F) when it's very cold out. I said "So if I park at the airport for three weeks in very cold weather..." and she said "Yes, your battery will be dead when you get back." She also confirmed that by HV and 12V battery were in excellent health.

This has not been my experience. I parked at the airport for ten days over Thanksgiving (2021) and lost 1-2% total. It's my understanding that the car will just let the battery cold soak while it's sleeping - you'll just have snowflake / limited regen.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it possible the car keeps the battery warm when plugged in, but lets it cold soak when unplugged (maybe that's why they recommend keeping it plugged in whenever possible)?

Is it possible the car keeps the battery warm when plugged in, but lets it cold soak when unplugged (maybe that's why they recommend keeping it plugged in whenever possible)?
I'm thinking on this line too. After the latest update 44.2 -- I charged from 12% to 64% before I went to bed. Left it plugged in - and in the morning (8 hours later) it was at 53% showing a loss of 11% -- So that translated to about $1 worth of electricity. (Why have I changed all my light bulbs in my house to LED to save electricity, when I throw it away on a car parked in the driveway?) The following night I didn't plug it in. It was at 50% when I parked and the next morning it was at 49% - and yes it was cold outside 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Drove a few miles and by the time I got back home it was up to 51%. So I think that after it's done charging I will unplug it. I'll just let it cold soak. YMMV

Reactions: Benito1283
I think you're not losing anything. The battery gets cold and you have some energy that's unaccessible until the battery warms again. You battery is charged to 65% but only 57% can be extracted for example. You would think you lost 7% but you haven't. The interface doesn't have a line for that so it ends up in that last line.

I am experiencing the same drain now. This morning my battery was at 61%. I unplugged it at 9 AM. In 3.5 hrs it went down to 58%. Sentry mode and the climate control are not running. Car is only 1 years old. I am on 2022.4.2. I have seen it drain 1% in 24 hrs. It is 37° F out, but I don't recall seeing this much drain before.