Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Creep off and coast like you're in a Tesla. ;)
... right through a wall into your living room :p

Alternatively you could just install arresting hook and cables in the driveway/garage, akin to those used to stop planes landing on an aircraft carrier. You could floor your P100D like jet pilots do when they land on carriers. ;)
arresting-cable-from-wikipedia.jpg

I tried it for a week. I feel safer with it off. Found myself unexpectedly drifting with creep on. When I move with it off, I know I am pressing the accelerator. With creep on, moving becomes an indicator of multiple possible states.
With it on, moving indicates you are not applying brake hard enough to stop it. What other state does it indicate to you?

Reactions: cwerdna
I still think this all comes down to how much muscle memory you have to deal with...

If you’ve been driving ICE autos for years then you do all your low speed manoeuvres with your foot feathering the brake and your ‘safety’ reaction is to press hard on the break pedal.

We all know how that ends if you forget you have creep off and you are in an EV with your foot on the ‘go’ pedal... :)

Same goes for any unexpected obstacle causing a sudden stop, inertia is likely to increase pedal pressure...

Entirely safe if your foot is on the brake, but not if your foot is on the ‘gas’...

For those wanting a geofenced creep mode (bad idea, IMHO) know that both creep and chill mode is saved to a profile. Who not create a profile and switch to it for those rare times you want a more granular control over speed, like pulling into a garage or parking spot?

I call mine "garage".

Only drawback is, creep mode can not be toggled unless the car is in park. Perhaps a little more convenient than rearranging walls and furniture with the Tesla...

Here's an ABC news story with video of her going into the fitness place. Man that guy was lucky.

Tesla slams through wall of Anytime Fitness gym in Pasco County

I don't think she was depressing the brake, just the accelerator. She actually went quite a distance at a good rate of speed as you can see from the camera that captures her outside the building.

Does she get out of her car carrying her phone?

Last edited:
I still think this all comes down to how much muscle memory you have to deal with...

If you’ve been driving ICE autos for years then you do all your low speed manoeuvres with your foot feathering the brake and your ‘safety’ reaction is to press hard on the break pedal.

We all know how that ends if you forget you have creep off and you are in an EV with your foot on the ‘go’ pedal... :)

Same goes for any unexpected obstacle causing a sudden stop, inertia is likely to increase pedal pressure...

Entirely safe if your foot is on the brake, but not if your foot is on the ‘gas’...

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I've driven a manual all my life until I got a Tesla. Sometimes I wish the significant braking that can come from regen would be restricted to when I actually press the brake. I think the "one pedal" concept is not good for most folks. Maybe even not good for anyone.

Here's an ABC news story with video of her going into the fitness place. Man that guy was lucky.

Tesla slams through wall of Anytime Fitness gym in Pasco County

I don't think she was depressing the brake, just the accelerator. She actually went quite a distance at a good rate of speed as you can see from the camera that captures her outside the building.

Of course the reporter brings up Autopilot. :rolleyes:

Another case of pedal misapplication in a very powerful vehicle.

With it on, moving indicates you are not applying brake hard enough to stop it. What other state does it indicate to you?
With creep on it looks like this

Moving with increasing speed means your foot is either on the brake and not hard enough, or on the accelerator. Either move your foot to the left and press the brake, or press the accelerator like the brake and go through the wall. You really cannot tell which pedal is being applied just from the actions of the vehicle, so you lose your cross-check at low speeds.

With creep off it looks like this

Moving with increasing speed means your foot is on the accelerator. Put it on the brake and press to stop. Acceleration can be used as a cross check for foot condition, except where hills are steep - which has other cross-checks based on your perception of angle.

Frankly the UI for any automatic ICE car is also pretty bad, we're just used to it.

BTW: as I have said before, I have mostly driven manuals and learned on them, so my experience is not wired for creep.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
With creep on it looks like this

Moving with increasing speed means your foot is either on the brake and not hard enough, or on the accelerator. Either move your foot to the left and press the brake, or press the accelerator like the brake and go through the wall. You really cannot tell which pedal is being applied just from the actions of the vehicle, so you lose your cross-check at low speeds.

With creep off it looks like this

Moving with increasing speed means your foot is on the accelerator. Put it on the brake and press to stop. Acceleration can be used as a cross check for foot condition, except where hills are steep - which has other cross-checks based on your perception of angle.

Frankly the UI for any automatic ICE car is also pretty bad, we're just used to it.

BTW: as I have said before, I have mostly driven manuals and learned on them, so my experience is not wired for creep.
With creep off you could still be moving with your foot on the brake not hard enough, which could happen if you haven't come to a complete stop yet (so still moving) or simply are on a decline (or incline moving backwards). So even with creep off, you cannot tell the exact state as you'd like.

I learned to drive on manual transmission and owned only manual cars for the first 13 years of my driving. I very much enjoy no gears in a Tesla btw, but the creep on just seems more intuitive and safer when parking. But, that's why we have the choice, and it is understandable that some people will like one way, while others will like the other. This thread is about unintended acceleration while parking, which is more likely to occur with creep off.

Bringing my dead horse to beat, but I prefer creep off having come from nothing but manual cars for 20 years.

I can’t stand trying to park a traditional automatic where there isn’t “quite enough” juice to pull into a parking spot or a garage with a lip or a driveway on a hill that flattens out and you have to quickly jump from a small press of the gas back to the brake because the car starts moving on it’s own (creep.)

Rather, I prefer to gently use the accelerator pedal to feather inching forward under *my* control and, if necessary, coast for a few inches or feet and move over to the brake when I’m ready to stop the car.

Creep scares the crap out of me and I’m glad there is an option to turn it off. I TOTALLY understand how anybody coming from a traditional ICE automatic would prefer it, but I don’t, because that’s what I’m used to.

Reactions: brkaus and croman
1/18/2018, morning 9:05 AM.

I was pulling in to my office parking spot where I parked for 6 years, I let the car slow to roll closer in front of the curb. All of a sudden the car accelerated, got on the curb, hit the office building. The car was still going until I applied the brake. The acceleration point was right before the curb, measuring from the point to the wall is only 7 feet. Tesla said I was on the pedal for a second long, I applied pedal from 0-18%, and quickly applied the brake. If I applied the pedal, I would not be able to apply my brake in a split second. Tesla refused to provide the force given to the pedal and any telegraphy. Tesla said they will not be responsible for any damage and said it is driver's error. I told my car was only 6 week new, I no longer feel safe to drive this vehicle, I request to return the car. Tesla refused. Tesla claimed there is no parts failure and refused to do any failure analysis without even looking at the car and accident pictures.

Tow truck driver told me I was the second brand new Model S he towed the same week. The other lady had the same problem SUA and the car ran into her laundry room, broke the drywall.

What can I do at this point?

I had the same problem. I did not crash, but I removed my foot from the accelerator and the car accelerated. I was able to stop by applying the brakes, but it scared the crap out of me and my wife. It happened AGAIN about a mile later when I removed my foot from the accelerator because I was approaching a stop sign. Again, I was able to stop but we should all agree this should NOT happen.

To those on this forum who have written off a driver's unexplained acceleration as operator error, all I can say is that's not always the case. I was not applying pressure to ANY pedal. I did not accidentally press the accelerator after removing my foot from it. The car ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN. Pure and simple. Twice. I submitted a bug report immediately (which Tesla inexplicably deleted after two weeks without investigating it--supposedly a routine procedure). Tesla says they cannot find the cause. And they insist the car did not accelerate because the logs do not show the accelerator pedal as having been pushed (no pressure on the pedal). If one believes them (which, given other issues I've dealt with, that is NOT a given), now what? I'll tell you this, however: I've had nightmares about it ever since. The car was only several weeks old at the time. Careful about drawing conclusions and accusing a forum member of doing something wrong. Things aren't always as they seem--even if "the computer" supposedly says it's so.