Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suffered medical emergency while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll start by saying everyone is ok and damage was minor.

I left the Dr’s office in Newport Beach after having a minor 2 min biopsy done on my scalp. Dr said no issue for me to drive, Felt great after so I started driving home.

At the first light i blacked out ( fainted) and the loaner Model S 75D I was driving started rolling forward and bumped into the car in front of me at the light. luckily there was a car in front of me or it could have been much worse as I would have rolled into the busy intersection. I woke up and pulled to the side. All ok thankfully. Minor damage.. insurance info given. No big deal.

had I been in my model 3 ( I have stopping mode enabled) I would have avoided the accident completely. Why is there no stopping mode on Model S?

Also my enterprise loaner from Tesla has autopilot disabled.

thought I would share.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and PoitNarf
Glad you’re ok! I noticed this on the Model S loaner I had a few weeks ago. There was no “hold” mode for the brakes like there is with the 3. Didn’t realize how much I missed it until I didn’t have it with the S. I’m assuming newer Model S cars do have brake hold mode?

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
The AP equipped cars I believe have a "hill" mode where if you press hard at a stop it will hold till you apply throttle.

Yes there is a hardware different 3s are permanent magnet motors, the Ravens have those in front but an AC Induction motor in back and the older ones are all AC Induction, and those do not provide any Regen or resistance at very low speeds.

For me it was diagnosed as a vasovagal syncope response, typically brought on by stress related from a medical procedure.

Man, I just had a 'nam flashback to high school when i was in the backseat of someone's car who had a vasovagal response and passed out. We were driving in a crowded mall parking lot and ended up bouncing off 3 cars, it was super terrifying to see the driver just slump over in the seat.

Glad to hear you are ok OP!

Pre-Raven Model S and Model X do not have the motor hardware necessary to implement Hold mode.

On the model 3 it’s not the motors that “lock up” in hold mode. It’s the brakes that are actuated by the master cylinder. When my car comes to a stop with hold mode, I can visually see the brake pedal move inward and when I touch the gas it releases. The same operation could be implements on older model S/X easily since the master cylinders all have automation built in for emergency braking/autopilot

I’ll start by saying everyone is ok and damage was minor.

I left the Dr’s office in Newport Beach after having a minor 2 min biopsy done on my scalp. Dr said no issue for me to drive, Felt great after so I started driving home.

At the first light i blacked out ( fainted) and the loaner Model S 75D I was driving started rolling forward and bumped into the car in front of me at the light. luckily there was a car in front of me or it could have been much worse as I would have rolled into the busy intersection. I woke up and pulled to the side. All ok thankfully. Minor damage.. insurance info given. No big deal.

had I been in my model 3 ( I have stopping mode enabled) I would have avoided the accident completely. Why is there no stopping mode on Model S?

Also my enterprise loaner from Tesla has autopilot disabled.

thought I would share.

Glad you're OK. Doctor will by law have to report you to DMV. License will be pulled. You will need to get medical clearance, including a special DMV form signed by an appropriate MD/DO. Then you submit to the DMV. If they approve, you will be made to take a full new driving test, with some interesting twists (e.g. taking you on a several block trip with a number of turns, then making you retrace the route). Expect this to take 1 month if fasttracked.

Glad you're OK. Doctor will by law have to report you to DMV. License will be pulled. You will need to get medical clearance, including a special DMV form signed by an appropriate MD/DO. Then you submit to the DMV. If they approve, you will be made to take a full new driving test, with some interesting twists (e.g. taking you on a several block trip with a number of turns, then making you retrace the route). Expect this to take 1 month if fasttracked.

Depends on the state, but most doctors would not report this. They are protected by law for reporting, but most wouldn’t report a vasovagal episode that is easily explained. The police officers usually WOULD report this, since all they know is you had a medical event causing a crash. They let the state DMV sort out the details, they just make a report.

It’s good you notified the doctor. Worst case scenario if police do report you, you can have the doctor write a letter to explain the event, and it should be there in his/her records.

Here is some info on the DMV related issues. But I would not be surprised if the doctor takes no action here since the episode happened right after a medical procedure. But there is also an insurance report here, so that is another potential source of reporting to DMV.

California DMV Suspend a Driver License for Syncope

I’m aware that visits to a doctor’s office increases the possibility of having an episode so I’m very careful about not driving right away until I’m sure I’m feeling OK. It’s happened 3-4 times now, all related to visits to doctor’s offices. I’m not good with procedures, blood or needles. Yikes.

Depends on the state, but most doctors would not report this. They are protected by law for reporting, but most wouldn’t report a vasovagal episode that is easily explained. The police officers usually WOULD report this, since all they know is you had a medical event causing a crash. They let the state DMV sort out the details, they just make a report.

It’s good you notified the doctor. Worst case scenario if police do report you, you can have the doctor write a letter to explain the event, and it should be there in his/her records.

...hope you're right for the OP's benefit. But even an 'explained' LOC while driving is an issue and each state is different.

If you're talking about Automatic Emergency Braking the manual for the 3 says it's only designed to reduce the severity of impact. I was disappointed to read this as I was hoping it would avoid those "bumping into someone" accidents.

On the model 3 it’s not the motors that “lock up” in hold mode. It’s the brakes that are actuated by the master cylinder. When my car comes to a stop with hold mode, I can visually see the brake pedal move inward and when I touch the gas it releases. The same operation could be implements on older model S/X easily since the master cylinders all have automation built in for emergency braking/autopilot

I believe the 3 uses the regen to bring the speed to 0 before applying the brakes.

sure, they could do brake/regen blending on the older cars, but it has a different brake booster. I feel like the older one isn’t as precise, but that’s seat of the pants.

I have had a similar response after procedures - or if my kids have any sort of procedure - or if the doctor talks about any sort of procedure.

I can feel it coming on so it's never been a full surprise. I believe if I was driving I would have enough warning to stop safely.

• Funny
Reactions: SlimJim