Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion: 72 kw Designation on Supercharge.info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
With the new 72kW urban superchargers starting to come online, I would like to see a separate color designation for the urban superchargers. If planning a trip using supercharge.info, you don’t want to plan a stop at one of these and it would be nice to be able to ignore them. They are generally too slow for long trips and may not have easy access.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
If planning a trip using supercharge.info, you don’t want to plan a stop at one of these
Um, why not? 72kW with no worry about pairing lowering your rate sounds pretty good. It's already faster than any CHAdeMo, and with the increasing occurrences of Superchargers being stuck at 60kW, 72kW sounds like a good solid option. Besides, you would be tapered down to 72kW or less within about 15 minutes anyway.

Um, why not? 72kW with no worry about pairing lowering your rate sounds pretty good. It's already faster than any CHAdeMo, and with the increasing occurrences of Superchargers being stuck at 60kW, 72kW sounds like a good solid option. Besides, you would be tapered down to 72kW or less within about 15 minutes anyway.
True, and I also wonder how many choices you would really have on a particular route/time. Would you ever have a choice between an 'Urban' and a 'Classic'. :D

True, and I also wonder how many choices you would really have on a particular route/time. Would you ever have a choice between an 'Urban' and a 'Classic'. :D
Yeah, I guess my experiences are colored a bit by really not having any choices. Northward to Coeur d'Alene, 378 miles without a Supercharger. West to Bend, 325 miles without a Supercharger. South to Winnemucca, 259 miles without a Supercharger. I'll take anything that's better than a 40A RV outlet.

Reactions: skitown
If you have registered with Supercharge.info, you can add custom pins (green for me) for your favorite sites. To do this, Ctrl-click where you want to drop the pin, and select Add custom marker...
When the site is rendered, pins that have the lower latitudes, are overlaid any pins that are North of them. So if you want to flag the 72 kW chargers (only 3 of them right now), you can add pins as a 'warning', so that you don't get fooled by them later.
Cntrl Click.png

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
My objection to using the urban Superchargers is that the initial ones are reportedly in parking garages with really expensive fees. I'd be more interested in a way to flag those pay-for-parking Superchargers so that I can avoid them.

My car won't charge faster than about 77 kW when empty, so 72 kW is plenty for me.

The problem I am having with the city chargers is that they tend to charge at a rate of about 35kW, not 70kW. Weather is still only around 40 degrees max here though and the car is always parked outside, so this could be a contributing factor. Cold battery, cold temperatures outside, slow charge. The battery is usually neither empty nor full when I charge at a city charger, so I am always surprised to see the slow charging. I have a June 2016 model X 90D. Does anyone else have this same problem?

We have had several extremely slow charges on our road trips in the summer months too. Starting to suspect we might have an issue with our battery. At home we charge with our old Nissan Leaf/Chevy Volt 240V Charger, so that takes all night. It can only give about 7kW an hour, but that’s fine for an overnight charge. Waiting for almost an hour and a half on road trips is less practical.

11 72kW chargers installed in, about, the last 6 months:
Chicago, IL - North Columbus Drive
Miami, FL - SW 7th Street,
Phoenix, AZ - East Camelback Road
Boston, MA - Allstate Road
Brooklyn, NY - N. 12th Street
Cambridge, MA
Chicago, IL - North Broadway
Fishers , IN
Riverside, CA
New York, NY - Mott Street
Jersey City, NJ - Mall Drive West