TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Suggestion: GEN3 should have a HUD (and maybe...)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by IceWendigo, Aug 28, 2013.

1. IceWendigo

IceWendigo Member

#1 IceWendigo, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Look at the 0:47 mark. Her eyes aren't on the road at all. This stuff scares me in the hands of the average driver.

Vision should be reserved for watching the road, not in-car UI.
    Touch should be reserved for (mostly) wheel and pedals, not in-car UI.

Voice is wide open as "breath control", but this video reminds me of the SNL sketch about Google glass and I see accidents coming from this.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Sweet Texas Hold-em while driving! I love to gamble my money and safety at the same time!!!

4. IceWendigo

IceWendigo Member

Having a HUD with the speed would not be a safety issue though.
    And eye-tracking could be integrated to safety features instead of a UI (where if your eyes are closed or not looking up front, eventual auto-braking/auto-something could be more assertive with an automated response)

5. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

those hand gestures look might strange. easier to touch something i think.

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Not to mention removing ALL tactile feedback. Even touching a screen gives you some feedback.

7. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

Very interesting video! Thanks for sharing!
    I am all for UI developments in cars provided they make life easier for drivers and bring added safety (and any other that make life better for passengers front and rear without interfering with the driver). This is why I would like to see HUDs widely spread in future cars.

In regards to eye recognition functions, I am not sure I'd support (other than to monitor driver's condition - fatigue, attention level...). Any other should be in the driver's line of sight in accordance to the road ahead (even projected as if in the distance vs. on windscreen), and should require minimum interaction meaning a limited set of functions in a one layer menu, and selectable with one look per specific function (vs. several menu layers and a complete list of functions).

Gesture recognition I don't like for cars (other than as a technology demo). Hands should be kept on the wheel which is why I like better current Model S steering wheel controls.

Just my take.
    Regards.

8. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

No thanks touchscreen is just perfect.

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Direct brain interface would be even better.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

An option I would definitely opt out of.

11. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Monitors/screens are cheap and I wouldn't want the windshield obscured with telemetry IMHO. But I do find myself looking down quite a bit to see what my throttle/regen balance is.

I'd be interested in doing an experiment to see what functions take my eyes off the road the most, at the most critical times and for the longest duration. Would be interesting to see a Venn diagram of that data.

12. Paul Churchley

I really love the idea of HUD technology. It reminds me a lot of some of the SciFi I watched as a kid! But I have an issues with my eyes... nothing that affects my driving of course. My eyes are fine for driving. In fact, better than fine as I have a Commercial Pilot License and so they are pretty good tbh. However, I need glasses for close and mid range vision. That is closer than about double arms length. It certainly doesn't affect my driving or flying but wonder whether my eyes would adjust to the HUD display.

Has anyone used a HUD display? Are they effective in bright sunlight?

13. Thumper

Thumper Member

Most of these issues are moot with self-driving tech which look like they will overrun the other UI technologies.

14. skdave

skdave Member

If the option was on 5.8 "opt out" would not be an option.