Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion; slowing for speed bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know where speed bumps are located in your part of the world but here in the US they are usually used in parking lots, driveways and sometimes on residential streets. these are places where using the AP system is usually not a wise thing to do. so adding this capability would be a waste of resources.

Matias, I like your idea. This is similar to the current capability of storing location-based suspension adjustments.

Around here, there are lots of "speed humps" on residential streets. Some of them can be brutal on stiff suspensions. There's almost always a road sign just before them. In the future, AP2 and FSD could read these. But, as you mention, your GPS mapping suggestion or a maybe a group-share-database could be useful.

Additionally, with vertical motion detection (perhaps using camera image processing), this could be automatically learned by the suspension (e.g. AP algorithm: "Gee, for the last several times that I've been at this location, the front suspension/vehicle suddenly moved up X inches for Y inches then down again. In the future, I'll slow down to Z, based on driver comfort preferences. And I'll continue to monitor this location to see if anything changes").

"It's often easy to come up with ideas that others have to work really hard at to make work"

Reactions: Matias
AP1.0:
Slowing down before speed humps would contribute to justifying using AP in residential streets, where it's not supposed to be used as of now (and not very useful anyway IMO).

AP2.0 (FSD):
Slowing down b4 speed humps (and pot holes) would be absolutely essencial and a potential catastrophe if it didn't do it.

so adding this capability would be a waste of resources.

.... I guess you never been in a car as passenger while the driver didn't slow down when passing above a speed bump!

My back and my head still hurt from this experience even after many years.

There a lot of speed bump in residential area where the speed is limited to 25 m/h,
but you have to really make almost a full stop when passing above them.

Note: Some speed bump, looking like half of a tree trunk, are very dangerous.
I better design is to have a speed bump at least 12 ft wide and about 3 to 4 inch height.

It would be nice if AP1 would slow for speed bumps. I think it would be easy to implement. If driver always slows in the same place and immediately accelerates after that spot, AP should do the same after certain learning threshold.

The AP should also be able to recognise the posted sign or mark on the pavement.

The problem is that there is not a universal type of signing.

7462482-traffic-sign-warning-of-speed-bump-ahead.jpg

Belize_Speed_Bump_Sign.JPG

Asphalt_Speed_Hump.jpg

Similar problem with 'Dip'

dip-slow-down-sign-k-0758.png

british-road-sign-indicating-a-hidden-dip-and-emphasised-by-an-exclamation-DPGA7P.jpg

Best approach would be to have an automatic detection such as: Speed Bump Detection Technology Patented By Hyundai

hyundai-developed-a-useless-speed-bump-detecting-function-96889_1.jpg

Last edited:
It would be nice if AP1 would slow for speed bumps. I think it would be easy to implement. If driver always slows in the same place and immediately accelerates after that spot, AP should do the same after certain learning threshold.

Interesting I would want exactly the opposite. I actually speed up for speed bumps because the car goes over it with less impact. Which is exactly the opposite of what they were trying to accomplish by putting the speed bumps in. (There are exceptions for that though.)