Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer Tire replacement - stay with 21", or drop to 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep us updated with any longer term feedback, its always helpful to get perspective from someone that has used both wheel diameters !
Doc, do you have a feel for the relative performance between the A/S 3s and dedicated summer tire like the Continentals. I'm a bit incredulous that a regular all-season could beat-out the performance of a decent dedicated summer tire, but we've repeatedly seen comments to that effect here. Any thoughts?

Doc, do you have a feel for the relative performance between the A/S 3s and dedicated summer tire like the Continentals. I'm a bit incredulous that a regular all-season could beat-out the performance of a decent dedicated summer tire, but we've repeatedly seen comments to that effect here. Any thoughts?

My qualitative perspective is that the 21" Continentals do beat the 19" A/S 3s for dry road traction, but it pretty close. It's the other issues that have swayed me to choose the 19" wheels.
It would be interesting to get a quantitative view, eg 1/4 mile time comparing these two options. Has anyone done this?

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57154&stc=1&d=1408678188

AndreyATC, this is absolutely beautiful. You mentioned elsewhere that this is "Im running 20X9 35ET and 20X10 32ET, which makes it a bit more aggressive than your 20s, also more flush with the fenders. Wearing Pilot super sport, 255/40/20 and 285/35/20."

Are those rear wheels really +32? Wheel and tire doesn't look like it sticks out past the top of the wheel well at all, is that correct? I'm about to order 20x10...was going to do +35 or +38...was worried that +35 might stick out too far (with 285/35/20s just like you). Does +32 protrude at all? Would you go with +35 if given choice?

Last edited: