Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon (beta) update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heh, take a number. A majority of us are still stuck on 2018.21.9. It’s 2018.24.x that adds the summon capability. Best estimates at the moment put only about 1/3 of Model 3’s in the wild with 2018.24.x. Here’s a thread on the latest variant of that version, 2018.24.8: 2018.24.8 25f83c2?

Reactions: soundanswer
Annoyingly, the Summon functionality is very much inferior to the S/X implementation, at least for now.

1. You cannot double-tap the park button and pick a direction before exiting the car to have it finish pulling into a spot.
2. Requires an internet connection, so if your wifi or LTE signal where you want to use it isn't very good, you're hosed. Should be running via Bluetooth, really.
3. The 20-30 second wait for the car to come out of sleep mode when it's parked is extremely aggravating, since we don't have "always connected" mode like the S & X.

Also I never experienced this with the S but the 3 has gotten weird with homelink a few times where it either doesn't open the garage and tries to back out anyway, or tries to close the garage door on itself after a failed summon because the internet connection drops. For the moment I'm no longer using it home, despite that being where it should be most beneficial because of my small-ish garage.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Also I never experienced this with the S but the 3 has gotten weird with homelink a few times where it either doesn't open the garage and tries to back out anyway, or tries to close the garage door on itself after a failed summon because the internet connection drops. For the moment I'm no longer using it home, despite that being where it should be most beneficial because of my small-ish garage.
My concern of this happening is why I don't set homelink with summon.

Annoyingly, the Summon functionality is very much inferior to the S/X implementation, at least for now.

1. You cannot double-tap the park button and pick a direction before exiting the car to have it finish pulling into a spot.
2. Requires an internet connection, so if your wifi or LTE signal where you want to use it isn't very good, you're hosed. Should be running via Bluetooth, really.
3. The 20-30 second wait for the car to come out of sleep mode when it's parked is extremely aggravating, since we don't have "always connected" mode like the S & X.

oh wow it uses the internet connection??? might not work too well at my house:(:mad: feels like it defeats the purpose, especially if you're parking in an underground garage with tight spaces.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
The update also adds wifi. So if you have decent wifi in your garage, summon will work fine.

that's a good point. might be ok till it gets outside (or halfway out of the garage :eek:). it's a shame it relies on the internet for it. i had to be in SF a few months ago and had to park in a garage. The parking spaces were ridiculously small and naturally a mini-van had to park next to me. I was thinking summon would be great for that but i'm 90% sure there is no signal in there.

oh wow it uses the internet connection??? might not work too well at my house:(:mad: feels like it defeats the purpose, especially if you're parking in an underground garage with tight spaces.

The S/X summon using the app also requires internet connection AND GPS location on the phone. I am not sure why they need GPS location... maybe to make sure you are not summoning the car half a block away or something. The problem with summon requires internet is that I have good WiFi inside the garage, but as the car started to move out... it gets weaker and weaker WiFi and then it switch to LTE. So sometime it will stop in the middle and won't continue when the car is switching from WiFi to LTE.

The keyfob, on the other hand, works 100% anywhere. Too bad the M3 does not have keyfob. I am pretty sure app summon won't work inside underground parking as you can't get the phone location?

that's a good point. might be ok till it gets outside (or halfway out of the garage :eek:). it's a shame it relies on the internet for it. i had to be in SF a few months ago and had to park in a garage. The parking spaces were ridiculously small and naturally a mini-van had to park next to me. I was thinking summon would be great for that but i'm 90% sure there is no signal in there.
I haven't tried summon in an underground parking lot yet. I'll try it next time to see if it's usable at all. They really should just make it use BT in a future update.

The S/X summon using the app also requires internet connection AND GPS location on the phone. I am not sure why they need GPS location... maybe to make sure you are not summoning the car half a block away or something. The problem with summon requires internet is that I have good WiFi inside the garage, but as the car started to move out... it gets weaker and weaker WiFi and then it switch to LTE. So sometime it will stop in the middle and won't continue when the car is switching from WiFi to LTE.

The keyfob, on the other hand, works 100% anywhere. Too bad the M3 does not have keyfob. I am pretty sure app summon won't work inside underground parking as you can't get the phone location?

unfortunately i will prob have the same issue as you. once it's about halfway out it the signal might drop. i suppose i could boost the wifi in there....not sure if it's worth the extra $$$. :confused: i'll have to test it whenever i finally get it for my car. rumor is there's a keyfob coming! who knows when though...