Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon failed and hit my garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another summon issue here, too—on day 3 of owning! :crying:

I tested mine probably a dozen times over the first 48 hours to see how it worked (I have a pretty tight garage opening). Some fits and starts, but generally got it to work no problem and the car seemed overly cautious, which I actually appreciated. Then came this morning.

I opened the garage door (it's manual, since it's an old-school tiny SF garage), and walked outside to summon my Tesla out. Important note, too: I'd summoned it IN to the garage the previous evening, so didn't expect any real issues. The car starts backing out per usual, but then instead of correcting to stay centered in the opening, ends up far too close to the left side. As it's summoning I'm walking around the back of the vehicle to keep an eye on it. Just when I get in eyeshot of the driver's side view mirror I see it's too close and push "stop" in the mobile app, but not soon enough. *Crunch*... The car left a deep scratch in the mirror (which was folded) because it didn't leave enough space.

Needless to say, kind of ruined my Friday, BUT the service center manager was great and offered to fix it as a "one time show of goodwill" since it was out of my control. Needless to say, lesson learned. From here on out I'm doing it myself or measuring the gaps before I summon.

In this case it feels like "beta" is more like "alpha" so proceed with caution. Thankfully Tesla seems willing to work with folks who end up on the unlucky side of summon's kinks.

We have two houses. Both are set up for homelink and are geofenced. When my S90D is driven (not summoned), each garage opens properly. I manually close the door after getting out.

At one house, summon works perfectly. I can be in the garage with the door closed, and use the key fob and/or iPhone app to summon in reverse. Door opens, car backs out, stops and closes door. :)

At the other house, summon FAILS to open the garage door when inside (with door closed, same scenario as above). I have to manually abort summon or car would crash into the closed door.

WTF?

We have two houses. Both are set up for homelink and are geofenced. When my S90D is driven (not summoned), each garage opens properly. I manually close the door after getting out.

At one house, summon works perfectly. I can be in the garage with the door closed, and use the key fob and/or iPhone app to summon in reverse. Door opens, car backs out, stops and closes door. :)

At the other house, summon FAILS to open the garage door when inside (with door closed, same scenario as above). I have to manually abort summon or car would crash into the closed door.

WTF?

Summon is a bad parlor trick. Just give up.

Reactions: oktane

WTF?
The solution is obvious. You should sell that house:D

Any chance you have "cheap" LED lights turned on in the house/garage that summon fails to open the door?
Nope. Using the Tesla's geofence auto open (when driving up to garage) always works perfectly, as does touching "open" from the homelnk icon when sitting in the car inside garage.

Only summon seems to fail to "use" homelink in his garage. It works fine otherwise.

So I just received a text from my wife.
She used summon to back out our two week old Model S which we have done daily since we brought the car home.

This occasion though the car started backing up, stopped and hit the homelink. Instead of waiting for the garage to open up the car started reversing. By the time she realized the car was already reversing it was too late and the car hit the garage door as it was still going up.

Gee, I am really sorry to hear this and feel your pain. It's surely too late for you to hear my view on this, but hopefully some other folks will listen. As an electronics design engineer for many decades, I have confidence in a lot of electronic systems, but NOT ones where the devices don't have full duplex communications and confirmation methods. In other words, as others will say, Tesla can only send a signal to HomeLink and ASSUME the signal got to HomeLink and that HomeLink opened the door. In fact the door can already be open and a signal from Tesla would close it without Tesla knowing the state. Sadly that is the problem with HomeLink. It does not communicate with remote systems. There are too many ways for this process to fail.

By this fact, I NEVER TRUST two separate systems to do the right thing when they don't confirm the actions with each other. I won't debate whether the Tesla should have detected the garage door or not. That's another issue. I just say that I recommend no one to use the summon feature and trust the two separate electronic systems to do the right thing until such a day comes that they can fully communicate with each other (regardless of sensors on the car).