Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon failed and hit my garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This OP's post settles it - I'm simply not going to use summon on this generation software/hardware. It isn't worth the minor novelty factor to potentially have to haul my car in for a bumper repaint.

I don't believe Summon is the real issue in this situation...relying on a non-handshaked garage door opening/closing protocol is the real risk.
I would use summon (when I finally get it here in the Great White North) but would not tie it to the garage door.

I love walking into my house while my car summons and parks itself and then closes the garage (makes me feel like Bond or something). Yesterday I came out and saw that the car didn't stop til it hit my cabinets. I had it set to 9" in the custom settings. I've since set it to 12" and have ran it like 20 times and had no issues. One of my biggest complaints about the car is the front sensors they are always off.
IMG_0789-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I agree that it can be risky. It was perfect the handful of times I used it and I kept trying to reproduce the mishap with a blanket on the car and I could not get it to do it again. It opened the door perfectly and waited until
it was fully open every time. With that said I will still unpair it from the homelink feature.

The correct phrase when you see your wife is "It's OK sweetheart,
you are not hurt, and you are WAY more important than the Tesla."

Before I was born my mother wrecked my father's beloved, brand new '72 MBZ 350SL while he was at work one day. Apparently the first words out of his mouth were "Are you ok?" and he never criticized her for the wreck. She told that story of his calm attitude to people for years, and he got a ton of points with her friends and family. I took that lesson to heart when dealing with women and car accidents.

Reactions: pilotSteve
So I just received a text from my wife.

She used summon to back out our two week old Model S which we have done daily since we brought the car home.

This occasion though the car started backing up, stopped and hit the homelink. Instead of waiting for the garage to open up the car started reversing. By the time she realized the car was already reversing it was too late and the car hit the garage door as it was still going up.

I know summon is beta yada yada, but as a new owner I would still like to report the malfunction to Tesla, because unlike AP using summon from outside the garage is a lot harder to keep control.

How do I report the malfunction and to whom should I report it to?

What version were you running?

I'll never use this feature with the existing hardware because it's a single fault failure system.

There is no visual backup, Lidar, or some other sensor to backup the ultrasonics.

I do use the summon into the garage after the door is open, and that works fairly reliable 4 out of 5 times. Sometimes it just opts to do something weird like stopping too soon, or going further to one side than normal. Lately I've been trying to stand in the same place to try to see if that helps keep it centered. Hopefully it doesn't ignore my key and proceed to run over my foot.

Do you all think the problem is the location of the ultrasonic sensors? I don't know the technical details of the AP sensor suite other than the primary components, but for example what if the sensors are located close to the ground and if the garage door has opened high enough that the sensors don't "see" it anymore the car will think the path is clear.

I wonder if going forward is more robust/safer as opposed to backing up since the front also has the benefit of radar + the camera.

I realize the backup camera is there but I don't think that is utilized by the software for Summon.

I believe that Summon uses just the ultrasonic sensors, not either camera,
and not the radar.

I believe gargygid is correct.

And more specifically I don't believe we have any indication that the rear-facing camera can be used for anything other than relaying video to the 17" display. As far as we know, it is not in any way tied to any of the car's safety systems.

Do you all think the problem is the location of the ultrasonic sensors? I don't know the technical details of the AP sensor suite other than the primary components, but for example what if the sensors are located close to the ground and if the garage door has opened high enough that the sensors don't "see" it anymore the car will think the path is clear.

I noticed on the very first Summon video released by Tesla that, after the garage door started opening, the car seemed to start moving way too early. The car just seemed to miss the door as it rolled out slowly. Perhaps there is a delay programmed in the sequence that the car waits after seeing the 'all clear' from the sensors, and for some garages with slow doors, the delay is not enough. Or perhaps the delay needs to be a function of distance from the door.

I've turned Summon off completely, for now. Too buggy for my taste and the fit in my garage is too tight for it to work even using the "tight spaces" option. Really how lazy are we that we need a car to pull itself in and out of the garage ? Yes it is very cool and exciting, but disappoints most of the time. I feel that Tesla should be working on recognizing stop lights, stop signs and other traffic signals to improve the "autopilot" features. JMO

I've turned Summon off completely, for now. Too buggy for my taste and the fit in my garage is too tight for it to work even using the "tight spaces" option. Really how lazy are we that we need a car to pull itself in and out of the garage ? Yes it is very cool and exciting, but disappoints most of the time. I feel that Tesla should be working on recognizing stop lights, stop signs and other traffic signals to improve the "autopilot" features. JMO

The mobile eye system that Tesla uses is already capable of recognizing stop lights, and stop signs. But, is implementing it worth the negative blowback that might come from either the system messing up or people misusing it?

The system is already capable of reading speed limit signs and it automatically changes the speed TACC will use if you engage it. But, it doesn't automatically change your speed to match the new speed if you have TACC engaged. They probably don't because sometimes it misreads the speed limit sign. Like it will read it as 85 instead of 65. Would not be fun getting a ticket for doing 95 in a 65.

My hope is they leave it all alone except for bug fixes, and safety improvements. I'd rather they focus on other things, and wait for upgrades to the Autopilot hardware before attempting to do more. Like I'd love a two front facing cameras to have better coverage, and hopefully to have additional failsafe.

I do use summons into the garage because it's a tight fit length wise, and the summons cheats by having more detailed sensor data. Sure a tennis ball would also work, and I had a pretty good average by just going to 12 and moving in a bit more. But, summoning is the future and i find it entertaining. Plus half the reason I got the Model S is because I am lazy. :)

Name one production car more suited for lazy people.