Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon failed and hit my garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had it hit anything... but it acts so stupid most of the time with my garage on the latest update. It will exit the garage fine. When reentering it gets to the threshold, then decides that it's going to angle in more so that the rear is heading at a ~15 degree angle towards the wall while heading back. Then it gets too close, stops and it's done 2/3rds into the garage. lol. The threshold of the opening and the wall are about ~2' away from each other, so the car must see this open space and think it's crooked or something. It's worse if my wife's car isn't already in the garage, too.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't believe we have any indication that the rear-facing camera can be used for anything other than relaying video to the 17" display. As far as we know, it is not in any way tied to any of the car's safety systems.

It can not. It is hard wired to the CID and it can only be done as an overlay on to the 17" screen. Nothing else is ever able to view that video. Even with a hacked CID there is no way to view the rear camera feed. It can only be sent to the 17" screen.

It's Beta - disable it until it improves

In its defence, I've not had any issues getting in and out of spaces. My garage door is quite close to the rear of the car, so I don't let it open it automatically - plus the entrance is on an incline, which I thought was going to throw it

Sorry you're having trouble though

Well I got a follow-up email the day of the summon mishap saying they are reviewing the issue and will
contact me shortly.

That was Tuesday and still no follow up. I was able to polish most of the scratch out and there is a tiny barely noticeable mark on the trunk, but I still would like to hear from Tesla on the matter.

Do you all think the problem is the location of the ultrasonic sensors? I don't know the technical details of the AP sensor suite other than the primary components, but for example what if the sensors are located close to the ground and if the garage door has opened high enough that the sensors don't "see" it anymore the car will think the path is clear.

I was looking at an AP S today and took note of the sensor locations. They're the small circular spots along the bumpers, so they do appear to be kind of low. Not sure if they can see above their location, or what their field of view is though.

Unfortunately I had something similar happen to me this morning. I've used summon a few times and up to this point have not had any real problems. I initiated summon with the car in the garage and the garage door closed. Homelink opened the door correctly, and I could see through the kitchen window that the car was in reverse and prepared to back out. However, instead of actually backing out it simply sat there for a few seconds and then shut down again. I used the app to restart the summon command, but instead of just backing out it backed out AND activated the homelink again, lowering the garage door. The car was already to the garage threshold and I tried using the homelink button on the app to stop the door but it either didn't work or didn't work fast enough, because the door came down on the rear end of the car and left a set of scratches just below the rear window.
2016-03-09 09.49.14b.jpg

I haven't submitted a report to Tesla yet, but I have talked to the guy that did my Opti-Coat and he's going to try to polish it out. With any luck that will be enough but I'm not sure what I'll do if it isn't. I'd like to hear what Tesla has to say about it.

Unfortunately I had something similar happen to me this morning.

I'm super sorry to hear that this happened.
I would HIGHLY recommend anyone who wants to use summon + homelink to adjust the height of the safety sensors for the garage door so it 'always' detects the car. I set mine to be equal to the front lower spoiler lip. I back in the garage, so this ensures the garage can't close if I'm not backed in far enough. If you go in nose first, or just want to be as safe as possible, set them to the height of the rear diffuser (which is the highest part of the car I believe). (there is of course adjustable suspension to account for)

My adjustment was an increase of less than two inches... it would be higher if adjusting for the back side. It is worth pointing out that if you put the sensors too high, it starts to defeat the original purpose... may miss animals/small children on the ground.

Frankly, it makes me wish garage openers came with several of these sensors (or a foot tall beam, instead of the narrow one currently)... so various situations could be covered.

Unfortunately I had something similar happen to me this morning. I've used summon a few times and up to this point have not had any real problems. I initiated summon with the car in the garage and the garage door closed. Homelink opened the door correctly, and I could see through the kitchen window that the car was in reverse and prepared to back out. However, instead of actually backing out it simply sat there for a few seconds and then shut down again. I used the app to restart the summon command, but instead of just backing out it backed out AND activated the homelink again, lowering the garage door. The car was already to the garage threshold and I tried using the homelink button on the app to stop the door but it either didn't work or didn't work fast enough, because the door came down on the rear end of the car and left a set of scratches just below the rear window.

I haven't submitted a report to Tesla yet, but I have talked to the guy that did my Opti-Coat and he's going to try to polish it out. With any luck that will be enough but I'm not sure what I'll do if it isn't. I'd like to hear what Tesla has to say about it.

Unfortunately it's obvious the summon code has no sophistication. It's just dumb simple toggles. It could know it needs to open or close the garage door, or that it is intersecting the door threshold, but it doesn't. It just follows step 1, 2, 3. If you expect it to do something smart, things will go wrong.

Thanks for the update, Wknapp, that's good to hear. That's some serious customer service! I've submitted a bug report to Tesla but haven't received a response or called the local service center yet. What did you tell them when you contacted them, or did they call you in response to your report?

Well I emailed the details of the failure and didn't hear back so I re-emailed and had a call 30 minutes later from my local service center. He apologized for the late response and said he wants to schedule me to drop it off and they will take it to their certified body shop to have the small spot corrected. I wasn't even going to ask for them to fix the small scratch but since they offered I decided to take them up on the offer.

My situation was a little different with it opening the door and not waiting for the garage, but hopefully they will take care of you too.

Unfortunately it's obvious the summon code has no sophistication. It's just dumb simple toggles. It could know it needs to open or close the garage door, or that it is intersecting the door threshold, but it doesn't. It just follows step 1, 2, 3. If you expect it to do something smart, things will go wrong.

Sadly, I think you're correct. It would seem that even some additional checks would go a long way towards avoiding problems like this. For example, it doesn't seem to actually keep track of whether the car has moved or not. Summon opened the garage door with the first attempt but didn’t move the car at all, which should be considered a failure. It should log if a previous attempt to summon the car has been successful or not and determine, based on the success or failure of the previous attempt, whether homelink should be activated again. Or, as an alternative, at least provide feedback to the driver in the app asking if the door should be triggered again. (“Previous Summon attempt failed. Activate Homelink again?”) Along those lines, it might not know exactly when it's in the door frame, but it could certainly keep track of how far it's moved and determine a likely position relative to the door based on the summon distance settings. It would also be helpful if it reported that it’s failed if it determines that it’s not safe for the car to move. The only notifications I've received have been after the fact and they've only reported success or that it's been cancelled, but never that there has been a specific problem. It would be helpful to know why it thought it couldn't complete the move when it failed to back out the first time.

One should be able to use a standard photo beam with normally closed/open contacts and use it to break the connection to the provided safety beam. Only downside of these appears to be a requirement for a power supply.

Or rig a mirror and have the beam go across at standard level and angle up to the receiver.

It could know it needs to open or close the garage door, or that it is intersecting the door threshold, but it doesn't. It just follows step 1, 2, 3.

It could use the sonar sensors to tell whether the door is open or closed. In fact, I'm not sure that it's not already supposed to do this, but perhaps just not doing it well in all situations.

I have to watch ours very carefully. The other day after an update it pulled itself in half way and tried to close the garage door on itself. Had I not caught the door it would have hit right in the middle of the Sunroof. We have had numerous fails. That being said, I don't trust it yet.

I have to watch ours very carefully. The other day after an update it pulled itself in half way and tried to close the garage door on itself. Had I not caught the door it would have hit right in the middle of the Sunroof. We have had numerous fails. That being said, I don't trust it yet.
Assuming your garage door closer has a photo sensor, have you raise that photo sensor so that it does not clear the under chassis? Maybe not associating the Homelink with the summon is the way to go?