Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon proofing the garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My idea would be to help the car see obstacles, rather than protect it from touching unseen obstacles. Hanging foam or carpet on the walls will definitely make the car work harder to identify obstacles.

I still don't understand how on some videos I have seem summon actually crashed to well established fixed walls that ostensibly reflect acoustic signals. It's as if some percentage of the time it just does not see very real solid objects.

Crazy that these sensors will be counted on to avoid accidents when they crash into walls and pillars during low speed summon maneuvers.

Just a thought on the track idea. I think that a 2x4 could be used on each side of the car to act as a limit line not to be crossed and just glued down to the floor or nailed or bolted. If the car hit this it would stop. So the boards could be like 6 inches out on both sides of the car for example. I use summon every time I park the car in the garage and cannot get into or out of the car without a large effort. No problems so far.

Last edited:
My car has always stopped if it doesn't like how close it is getting. I have added this rubber flooring mainly to avoid door dings should I drive into the garage. I have the Autopark settings on and my experience is that it will shut down before it gets too close. YMMV.

Attachments

• 2018-03-14 16.07.10.jpg
    2018-03-14 16.07.10.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 51
I'm still looking for some tracks I can lay down on the garage floor for the cars tires to travel on a bit like a rail road. I'd prefer some type of a heavy foam or rubber material. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Manually pulling int to our tiny garage is such a pain.

I figured this would be the best way to avoid damage and keep the car on track...
tennis balls my friend... hanging tennis balls.... set them up and squeeze between them...

Summon moves at glacial speeds. Watching the car with your finger on the fob can stop it instantly if you see it doing anything wonky. I use it all the time, and have only had it do something weird a few times so it's not perfect, at least in my case. I also have a very narrow garage. IMHO, there's no way you can hit anything if you watch it while it moves. Make sure your fob battery it not getting old, and always have them on hand long before you need to change it. Far from being a gimmick, and beats trying to manually park offset to one side just to open a door...

This also assumes your sensors are clean and working properly, and there's no object (read junk) in the garage to cause odd reflections, like the one time I had a metal snow shovel hanging on the front wall.
Ditto! I do exactly that! Also Amazon does sell rubber sheets made for applying to walls for opening your doors. But really just keep your finger on the trigger and watch it.

I'm going to follow some of the great advice shared here but as a last ditch safety effort, I'm going to have foam pads mounted on all the walls. Is there any type of a paint or other covering I can put over the foam pads with high ultrasonic reflective properties?