Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. Engineer came to the house and tried on his iphone as well and nothing. I tried summon on the keyfob too but that doesn't work in the UK. Tessie is not consistent. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not. The engineer sent me a firmware reboot too but it made no difference. They want me to take the car in and leave it with them (they came to the house) but with work I don't have the time to do that as it's not operationally critical.
did you find a fix for it?

I discovered a couple of weeks ago that summons doesn't work (pre-facelift 2016 model S); it has worked in the past, but I rarely use it. The car software is up-to-date, and I've tried with both old (as suggested here) and current app, as well as Tessie. The symptoms are as described, the car prepares, you hear the brake releasing, and after 5-10 seconds it resets; and the app flashes a notice about the connection being interrupted. I opened a service request with Tesla, and have been quoted GBP 568.52 for replacement of the camera. I don't know what to think about that, autopilot works fine, and what could the (forward looking) camera have to do with reverse summons?

[Solved] Tesla summons. I got it working, hope this will help if anybody else comes across the problem again. Short version: Bluetooth forget and re-pair my mobile is almost certainly what did the trick. Below are the exact steps I took (over the past couple of days I had made numerous unsuccessful summon attempts).
  • Bluetooth 'forget' (not disconnect) my mobile on the centre console; the phone itself was untouched.
  • Reboot centre console (brake pedal plus scroll wheels).
  • Firmly grasp the steering wheel while calming myself -- the old centre console does take a wee bit too long to come back to life.
  • Try summons several times while sitting in the car. The Tesla app acted normally and didn't indicate any problems right until I pushed one of the arrows; at that point it would pop up a notice saying "Something went wrong" (I didn't know Tesla hired Windows programmers). Tessie would act normally, but nothing happened; after a few moments it would return from the 'Abort' screen to the 'Ready' screen with the two arrows.
  • Pair phone again from the centre console: activate search from the Bluetooth screen (my phone was untouched), then selecting it when it showed up, and confirming on the phone.
  • Try summons again while sitting in the car, and it worked immediately.
The car had no Wi-Fi connection. It seemed to respond much quicker (brake release, steering wheel twitch) than when unsuccessful. I went back and forth several times (hoping my neighbours weren't watching), then stepped out of the car and tried to repeat. The first attempt failed with a message saying the app couldn't connect to the car. I stepped closer to the right hand mirror (home of the antennas) and then it worked. I went back and forth several times while staying close to the mirror, and it worked perfectly every time.

There was no earlier indication there was anything wrong with Bluetooth. I have received several telephone calls, and just half an hour before going through the motions above, I received a WhatsApp call while at a Supercharger, and it went to handsfree over Bluetooth without hesitation or problems. I had also previously tried rebooting the centre console.

I thought I'd pass the good news on via the (cancelled) service appointment I had made, but it would appear that somebody in Tesla software development has been smoking some really nice stuff; here is a screenshot from the app.
Screenshot_20221220_221335_Tesla.jpg