Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon works, but app has issues connecting to the car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Just picked up my CPO 2014 MS with AP1. To my surprise, summon works beautifully. But... the Tesla app seems to have a hard time connecting to the car for summon. Sometimes it works right away, but most times it just gets stuck on “Connecting to your vehicle”. It doesn’t even say it can’t connect, it just sits there.

Any thoughts? Running iOS with the most recent version of the app. I have linked the car to my home’s WIFI, but reception is bad from my garage, so the car is on 3G.

I have not been able to get it to work using the remote, but that might be just me doing it wrong...

Hi! Just picked up my CPO 2014 MS with AP1. To my surprise, summon works beautifully. But... the Tesla app seems to have a hard time connecting to the car for summon. Sometimes it works right away, but most times it just gets stuck on “Connecting to your vehicle”. It doesn’t even say it can’t connect, it just sits there.

Any thoughts? Running iOS with the most recent version of the app. I have linked the car to my home’s WIFI, but reception is bad from my garage, so the car is on 3G.

I have not been able to get it to work using the remote, but that might be just me doing it wrong...
Service area plays a huge roll in this. You must have reasonable cell service and service to the car, plus GPS. My experience with the 3g is that in a garage it’s not awesome. I’d get a mesh router system and put a hub in your garage. I live in a cold climate and it stinks to not be able to precondition from the app when service is spotty. I got a google WiFi mesh router and it’s been awesome ever since. Helping summon was a bonus!

Program it to use your key, that's what I did. I gave up on the app because it it has issues connecting all the time.

To make the remote work you need to disable the safety feature that requires you to hold on the button on the app. It under the summon settings, turn off the continuous press.

Then once thats off you can press and hold the top of the remote until the parking lights flash, then press either the frunk or trunk to move the car forward or reverse.

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions! I changed my settings and now the key works great.

Still would love to be able to use the app, so I will explore a mesh router. It is a bit puzzling though, because I can use the app for everything else, just no summon.

Thanks again!

I have the exact same issue on my S. Tried various combinations of Wifi <-> Wifi, LTE <-> Wifi, LTE <-> LTE, different locations (covered/uncovered). It would work one moment, then when I try again it would just hang at "Connecting.."

Remote works perfectly fine. Let me know if anyone finds anything.

I don’t know if it related, but opening the trunk, frunk, etc also seem spotty (although I did not try much) after the update.

S75 ap2.5 dec2017 mcu1 - on v34 at the moment ... always had this instability issue with summon since start ... do you know if the keyfob process also works in Europe (France in my case) ? I could not find the summon settings in the car so could not deactivate the continuous press as described ... tkssss

S75 ap2.5 dec2017 mcu1 - on v34 at the moment ... always had this instability issue with summon since start ... do you know if the keyfob process also works in Europe (France in my case) ? I could not find the summon settings in the car so could not deactivate the continuous press as described ... tkssss

Interesting... I am not familiar with the EU interface, but I would assume that using the remote is also an option there...

In Europe the use of summon with the Fob is not possible/ allowed.
So we here have to use the app, which sometimes works, most times not.

I have tried iPhone and iPad. From 10 tries, 2 iPhone work, 3 iPad.
I think it is a useless toy.

In Europe the use of summon with the Fob is not possible/ allowed.
So we here have to use the app, which sometimes works, most times not.

I have tried iPhone and iPad. From 10 tries, 2 iPhone work, 3 iPad.
I think it is a useless toy.

I would try reinstalling the app and making sure that summon does not have the hold to operate feature on (so it is a one tap activation). I was having problems all the time, but since the latest update to the Tesla app it has been rather reliable on my end.

Also, if your WIFI is spotty, it may also fail. The car thinks that your phone went away. Sometimes it is easier to just turn off WIFI and use cellular on the phone.