Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m running FSD 12.3 and I’m really impressed with it. However, the summon feature is remarkably bad to the point I’m shocked they even allow its use. The way it navigates in a parking lot is completely illogical. I feel it would crash if not for me releasing the come to me button in the app. Anyone else have similar experiences with summon.

It is horrible, but they are now trying to make it right, again. My last use to have the car come pick me up at a restaurant, it didn't go to the end of the parking lane to then come back in the next lane to pick me up. Instead, it tried to take a shortcut between parked cars and trample the marked parking spaces to speed its way toward me. I couldn't make it and was diagonal with the font about to hit one car, and the rear about to hit another car. It did stop and that was it. I had to go retrieve the car a out of its misery.

The new version will be Actually Smart Summon, and it will be awhile before legacy cars with the ultrasonic sensors get it. From Not A Tesla App: Teslas Will Soon Park Themselves When Arriving at Destination - Smarter Summon and Driverless Autopark Coming

Actually Smart Summon Coming to Vehicles Without USS​

Smarter Summon on the other hand, is an update to the existing Smart Summon functionality that is currently available on cars that have ultrasonic sensors (USS). Actually Smart Summon is expected to bring that functionality to Vision-only cars as well.

In traditional Tesla fashion, Tesla is building upon what it already has. Tesla first released Summon, which allowed the vehicle to move only forward or backward in a straight line. Tesla then released Smart Summon which allowed the vehicle to move toward a target, navigating obstacles on the way, and soon we’ll have an even more capable version of Smart Summon.

I still miss the OG version of this feature found on AP1 cars. It rolled the car forward or backward when you held the button. I thought it was a silly party trick (which it is) but found it incredibly useful on more occasions than I would have thought, prior to having it. Whatever this monstrosity is that's on these cars now is a mess. I can't even get my 2017 P100D w/AP2 and Enhanced Autopilot to roll a little bit forward or backwards in my garage anymore. I don't need the pedestrian threatening version that Summon is becoming... just give me the ability to move the car forward & backward again.