Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons Crash in to Garage Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my side view mirrors angle down. Also I encourage you to lower your garage door while in the car and tell me if you can see the door come down from that tiny port hole they call a back windshield.

The door is quiet I have it maintained and it is belt drive plus we were talking and the radio was on. With two people talking and the radio you wouldn't notice the door coming down.

My buddy didn't get too close to the car. The car has POOR POOR connectivity to the internet and lost connection. Happens all the time in the garage and just as bad on the street. I have to use my phone as my streaming source because the Tesla service is so inconsistent.

Hope I answered all the comments. I do feel like I am defending myself a little bit - but If anything I hope you guys don't enable the homelink option - it just isn't worth the trouble.

A similar thing happened to me years ago. I was rushing to get inside my car, and I didn't see the garage remote sitting on the center the armrest. I must have leaned onto it just as I was backing out. With the engine on and radio blasting, I couldn't hear the garage door coming down. Never saw it, either, as the back window was already past the edge of the garage. Put a nice gouge in my roof.

Homelink only sends a single generic command to trigger the garage door opener. There's no logic to determine whether the door is actually open or closed. After I read about this limitation, I made sure to keep auto-open/close turned off. Didn't want a repeat of the past!

Understand that the sensor wasn't blocked because I didn't move more than 4 inches within the garage door. Fortunately the door didn't come down on the top of the car but as I backed up it hit the side of the door. I ended up driving in to the door. I realize that yes if I was watching out the back window I would have seen the door but I checked then backed up. Its fairly common for people to drive this way. I don't blame the sensors on the door or their location. I wasn't through the opening of the garage.

The homelink / GPS configuration only occurs after summons is activated. It has only occurred when pulling the car in and reaching its resting point. Since I backed up and it disconnected I thought the process was over. I never ever thought about the door closing because of it. I was backing out. Thats not how you expect the homelink connection to summons to occur. Back out - disconnect and close the door? I was never in forward in that summons process. In other words I didn't pull the car in, overshoot and back up which is when the summons would naturally close the garage door. In this case it was reverse the entire summons trip.

Anyway I still don't believe I am at fault. If your kids were outside and closed the garage door on you while backing out I think you would be pretty pissed at your kid. I use kid as an example because I guess thats the level of intelligence I now realize the homelink tie to summons is.
Just like I wouldn’t let 4 year old kid handle the garage door button, so shouldn’t Tesla. And Tesla is much dumber than a 4 year old.

We are all over the place - but I backed out again and I rely heavily on the camera. THe visibility is nil in the model x and below the deck lid you can't see anyway. To say people don't use the camera is obnoxious and a lie. I took what people said here and tried to backout watching behind me only and it was far less safe than using the camera. If it wasn't something that had decapicating capability the camera would have been fine.

It isn't Tesla's fault or design. Nor, I think is it Homelinks fault or design. Garage door openers themselves cannot receive an open or close command (whether Homelink or the opener itself). They just receive a single "change state" command for which they just reverse the door, whatever state it is in.

That's why the auto open/close is risky and you have to pay attention if you insist on using it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarmerDave
We are all over the place - but I backed out again and I rely heavily on the camera. THe visibility is nil in the model x and below the deck lid you can't see anyway. To say people don't use the camera is obnoxious and a lie. I took what people said here and tried to backout watching behind me only and it was far less safe than using the camera. If it wasn't something that had decapicating capability the camera would have been fine.

I think people are suggesting that you use your mirrors to verify that the camera is displaying a live (not frozen) image before trusting it.