Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun glare and AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

enemji

Dec 12, 2021
USA
I have heard quite a few horror stories about AP not activating when the sun is directly facing the camera. I never had the opportunity to use autopilot in such a situation until yesterday, and I had no issues. Hmmmm. How in the world is that camera even seeing when I cannot see anything in that glare???

1558C963-92EF-41FC-81A5-D40015A8756A.jpeg

I have heard quite a few horror stories about AP not activating when the sun is directly facing the camera. I never had the opportunity to use autopilot in such a situation until yesterday, and I had no issues. Hmmmm. How in the world is that camera even seeing when I cannot see anything in that glare???

View attachment 921940
I have the same experience. Traveling west into the afternoon sun, I sometimes lose track of the lane lines in the glare, but the car doesn't, and keeps me centered.

For me when I use auto pilot to head to work about 10 AM and depending on the Tesla release, auto pilot works great or I get something like "auto pilot does not work if the camera is blocked or blinded"

For that happens, I wish standard cruise control will work

Sorry, this is impossible, you must be mistaken.

TMC’s foremost perma-wingers experts have confirmed that Autopilot doesn’t work in sun. Or rain, for that matter. It’s also not keen on snow, or the dark.

• Funny
Reactions: enemji

View attachment 921940
I've always been impressed with FSD/AP's ability to handle glare. Seems to do it much better than I can!

Reactions: enemji