Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun roof, upholstery and paint vs temperature increase from sunshine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
Now that the Tesla model S is finally coming to HK (at least, prices are released and orders being finalised), the time has come to decide on specs.

I am planning to go with silver metallic paint, light coloured leather upholstery and no sun roof - all three decisions mainly as I think it will decrease the passive temperature rise when the car is outside in the sun.

I would like to know from present owners how you think the sunroof in particular, is affecting the cabin temperature?

I think the sunroof is nice, but if it is going to make my Tesla a green house, then I'm not having that option.

In any case, I do like silver metallic for paint, and it's normally easier to maintain and sell. If I could have had a chromed-up mirror-paint Tesla, I'd probably even gotten that!

If it wasn't for the heat absorption, I'd probably gone with the standard upholstery, the leather is mainly as it's the only way to get a bright interior.

I believe the pano roof blocks 98% of both heat and light. If you cracked the glass open a little bit while the car sits, I'd guess that the interior temperature would drop lower than the S with no pano roof. This, combined with more headroom for backseat passengers - 1.5 inches?? - makes it a compelling choice.

It's been winter here so my max has been sitting in the sun all day at 80 degrees F or so, but it's been a non-issue for me. From the front seats, unless you look directly up and out, you wouldn't even know the roof is a window it's tinted so dark. I have the pano and black textile interior. Paired with being able to remotely vent the roof and turn on climate control, and I'm not worried about it in the least.

If it's smokin hot where you are or you have a low tolerance for heat YMMV, but it looks like summer temps there average in the mid 80s F. Probably pretty similar to the above experience, I'd guess.

The pano roof blocks 82% of the heat and 98% of the light. I'm in Texas and last summer wasn't a problem--but it depends upon whether you park it outside in the sun during the day or not. If it just sits in the sun the glass will absorb heat and radiate it for awhile. If you don't, then there's no problem. Some folks have put extra heat reflecting tint on the pano. As far as paint colour goes, it really doesn't matter as most heat comes in through the glass--even in the non-pano version.

The summer heat in Hong Kong was unbearable when I was there 10 years ago. The car will get hot inside when parked regardless of the factors that you mention, but cools down much more quickly when all the windows are tinted (including the windshield). When driving in 100 degree heat, the pano does feel warm to the touch but the heat didn't seem to radiate through to any noticeable degree.

Also, don't forget that you can pre-cool from the app.

Nice to see the MS going to Hong Kong. Sounds like it gets pretty hot and humid there. Here in California, we have had triple digits and it seems to get hotter every year. Not sure what it is with the MS, but it feels like it gets hotter than our other cars. We had to get the car tinted shortly after taking delivery of the MS.