Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Shade hopefully not necessary on the M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I've put this photo up on twitter to tesla (with no reply) as well as this is kind of a big concern for me. On our current cars we have tinted sunroofs with fully opaque shades we can slide over when the sun is bothering us. Below is a pic of my son in back seat a couple weeks ago. Now the sunroof isn't open, just the shade is open and you can see the sun is bothering him, so I closed the shade and he's fine (2nd half of the pic).

Really this has been fairly standard with every car I've had that has a sun roof. It's tinted by the manufacturer but glare still gets thru, with a pano roof, sun roof, etc is this not same problem in a Tesla? Wouldn't this occur in the model 3 unless they provide an opaque shade mechanism?

remember in both photos the sun roof isn't open, just the shade is uncovered or covered

zfBbHGQ.jpg

zfBbHGQ

I wouldn't worry. On the Model S the sunroof is tinted enough to prevent glare and heat for most applications (sure, some people in extremely hot/sunny areas may disagree, but for the general population...).

The Model 3 looks like it'll have a sunroof similar to the Model S, and not a huge windshield similar to the Model X.

• Disagree
Reactions: linkster and sebxx
i think the pano sunroof area is pretty well tinted to keep sun out. I'm more worried about the windshield as it seems to extend pretty high up to give a great view. if theres no tint near the top, there may be glare issues.

Photos make it seem like the windshield panel doesn't have much if any tint, while the top (pano area) looks heavily tinted from above.

Would say this is quite a concern for me hence why I will opt for a metal roof and tint rear glass on Model 3. Just imagine paying extra for a sunroof and having to put up with sunshades and other rattly bits

Reactions: Jayc
I always keep the sunroof slide cover closed on my Yukon. When open even though it is a dark tint I feel the sun beat down. This is my worry with Model 3 full pano roof. I like the looks and my wife's Lexus has the same thing. BUT, in the Lexus I can slide the interior covers over it to look like a normal headliner. Model 3 does not appear to have this.

Reactions: sebxx and Big-T
I like the looks and my wife's Lexus has the same thing. BUT, in the Lexus I can slide the interior covers over it to look like a normal headliner. Model 3 does not appear to have this.

Actually, this is exactly what we need- a slide cover that looks like headliner. This will reduce intense sun creeping in as well as heat loss in winter.

Also agree with @flamingoezz that rear windshield can become a problem.

Reactions: sebxx and Big-T
I always keep the sunroof slide cover closed on my Yukon. When open even though it is a dark tint I feel the sun beat down. This is my worry with Model 3 full pano roof. I like the looks and my wife's Lexus has the same thing. BUT, in the Lexus I can slide the interior covers over it to look like a normal headliner. Model 3 does not appear to have this.

Yeah that's what I was trying to convey with the picture, when I said the shade was closed I'm talking about closing the interior cover that makes it look like a solid roof. Just opening just the interior cover was enough to bother my kid in the back.

Yeah that's what I was trying to convey with the picture, when I said the shade was closed I'm talking about closing the interior cover that makes it look like a solid roof. Just opening just the interior cover was enough to bother my kid in the back.
In my previous cars I have never kept the sunshade open, for that exact reason. The Model S's glass roof doesn't have the same problem. If the Model 3 is comparable to the Model S, not the Model X, I don't see it as a fair comparison to a typical sunroof.

Reactions: linkster
3 words: Thirty Five Thousand

Your right, for "Thirty Five Thousand" you will not have to worry about this issue as you will have a solid metal roof. I could see the Tesla costs only being only a few hundred dollars. I would honestly pay $1,000+ for this option.

I have smart tint at home at it cost me about $125 per window plus some DIY time and it works great.

Fact: Tesla has two cars with glass on top.
Fact: Some Teslas are bought and sold in sunny places.
They do have experience with this issue.
I was concerned about the issue before I got my Model S. I do not have concerns about the Model 3 I have ordered because I believe and have experienced that Tesla knows what they are doing about this issue (as well as many others).
I own a Model S with a panoramic roof. Wouldn't trade it. No problems. But I was concerned about the possibility of too much sun in the summer months, so I bought the sun shades (from Tesla). They pop in, fit nicely, look nice. That may not work for everyone (the popping them in, which took about one minute per panel, once in the early summer and then out in late summer.)
(I have some pictures, but can't get them posted here.)
Model%20S%20passenger%20seat%20with%20sunroof%20open.jpg.html

Last edited:
Fact: Tesla has two cars with glass on top.
Fact: Some Teslas are bought and sold in sunny places.
They do have experience with this issue.
I was concerned about the issue before I got my Model S. I do not have concerns about the Model 3 I have ordered because I believe and have experienced that Tesla knows what they are doing about this issue (as well as many others).
I own a Model S with a panoramic roof. Wouldn't trade it. No problems. But I was concerned about the possibility of too much sun in the summer months, so I bought the sun shades (from Tesla). They pop in, fit nicely, look nice. That may not work for everyone (the popping them in, which took about one minute per panel, once in the early summer and then out in late summer.)
(I have some pictures, but can't get them posted here.)
Model%20S%20passenger%20seat%20with%20sunroof%20open.jpg.html

I haven't had the fortune of sitting in a model S or X so I can only compare to the ICE cars I've driven. Your post gives me hope it'll be OK but I'd love to see the pictures, maybe you can upload them to imagur and then link them? ....BUT if sun wasn't an issue then why are you leaving your add-on sun shades on all summer? I'm genuinely interested, not trying to be argumentative.

Reactions: Green46 and sebxx

Attachments

• 0 (2) - 副本.jpg
    0 (2) - 副本.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 0 (4) - 副本.jpg
    0 (4) - 副本.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 71
  • 1 - 副本.jpg
    1 - 副本.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 78
Teslas obsession with the glass roof is odd. Can't image that car is not going to be a cooker on sunny days. Wish they had gone with the old Prius idea of a solar panel cooling system, that actually worked at keeping the car a ambient temp on hot sunny days. Also wonder about the roll over tests with what amounts to a roll bar.

Reactions: sebxx
The car is not finished. Am I the only one that thinks the M3 will have Smart/Electronic glass or whatever you want to call it? The possible uses for this are endless and Tesla is the perfect company to make you ask how we ever lived without it.

I really really hope the model 3 comes with something like this electronic sun block for the roof. A standard feature like that would make everybody want a m3.