Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof owners, do you have rust on your roof rack mounts??

Do you have rust on the attachment mounts?

• Don’t have a sunroof

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have a sunroof, never used a rack, no rust.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Have a sunroof, never used a rack, have rust.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Use a roof rack, no rust

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Use a roof rack, have rust

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have another thread about my roof rack coming off here: Car flex and losing a roof rack with bikes?

It appears the roof attachment mounts from the factory have rusted and contributed to the bolts coming out. I’ve heard from 5 others with similar rust, but wanted to find out if a lot of others with a sunroof have experienced similar rust on their rack attachment mounts.

If rust is a real issue, I want to bring it to Tesla’s attention to inform folks to check them so a catastrophic accident doesn’t happen.

My car is two years old this April and I don’t live near a coast or saltwater.
C35F1CB0-857F-4052-BF1D-540F3956A7B0.jpeg
A359CC6E-0245-47D9-881F-405EB22DC867.jpeg

Has anyone approached Tesla service for this issue? I have a Dec-2015 model S and just went to put on a whisper rack for the 1st time and can't mount it due to rust in the thread mounts. Very frustrating. They should have used stainless steel I think. Car is still under warranty but I fear Tesla will claim this is wear and tare and not covered under warranty.

I have a rack currently installed on my Model S and, YES, the attachment points are rusted (2 of 4 have some rust and the other 2 of 4 have more although none are as badly rusted as your photos indicate). For reference, the car is a June 2016 build and the rack is used often during the summer (bikes) but is removed/stored during the winter months.

I posted in your original thread. Don't count me twice. The grease I filled the holes with 3 months ago looks the same today as it did in April. It has not flowed in the high temperatures. I am almost certain it is the grease used to pack wheel bearings.

I ended up with a small steel brush and rush remover, getting most of this cleaned out. I have been able to threat rack bolts on with WD40 like solvent, which will hopefully prevent new rust from forming after a winter with snow, rain and salty roads. Fingers crossed.

Mine are not that severe but i have rust on the mounting nuts. I had a small degree of rust there though before ever mounting the rack. I made sure it was recorded with mobile service. I do worry about the threads eventually rusting through but as of yet I haven't had a problem.