TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sunroof owners, do you have rust on your roof rack mounts??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by luvacoustic, Apr 23, 2019.

?

Do you have rust on the attachment mounts?

1. Don’t have a sunroof

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Have a sunroof, never used a rack, no rust.

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Have a sunroof, never used a rack, have rust.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Use a roof rack, no rust

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Use a roof rack, have rust

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. luvacoustic

luvacoustic Member

I have another thread about my roof rack coming off here: Car flex and losing a roof rack with bikes?

It appears the roof attachment mounts from the factory have rusted and contributed to the bolts coming out. I’ve heard from 5 others with similar rust, but wanted to find out if a lot of others with a sunroof have experienced similar rust on their rack attachment mounts.

If rust is a real issue, I want to bring it to Tesla’s attention to inform folks to check them so a catastrophic accident doesn’t happen.

My car is two years old this April and I don’t live near a coast or saltwater. C35F1CB0-857F-4052-BF1D-540F3956A7B0.jpeg A359CC6E-0245-47D9-881F-405EB22DC867.jpeg

2. nico180

nico180 creating simple things - is true talent

I have the seen the same on various model S cars.

3. SierraUT

SierraUT New Member

Has anyone approached Tesla service for this issue? I have a Dec-2015 model S and just went to put on a whisper rack for the 1st time and can't mount it due to rust in the thread mounts. Very frustrating. They should have used stainless steel I think. Car is still under warranty but I fear Tesla will claim this is wear and tare and not covered under warranty.

4. MJP.P3D-

MJP.P3D- Supporting Member

I have a rack currently installed on my Model S and, YES, the attachment points are rusted (2 of 4 have some rust and the other 2 of 4 have more although none are as badly rusted as your photos indicate). For reference, the car is a June 2016 build and the rack is used often during the summer (bikes) but is removed/stored during the winter months.

5. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

I posted in your original thread. Don't count me twice. The grease I filled the holes with 3 months ago looks the same today as it did in April. It has not flowed in the high temperatures. I am almost certain it is the grease used to pack wheel bearings.

6. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

Stainless steel dowels would have prevented this, My mounting points look different. They are one piece, not pressed in dowels .

7. SierraUT

SierraUT New Member

I ended up with a small steel brush and rush remover, getting most of this cleaned out. I have been able to threat rack bolts on with WD40 like solvent, which will hopefully prevent new rust from forming after a winter with snow, rain and salty roads. Fingers crossed.

8. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

The paint will rub off from the screws, one should at a minimum spray silicone (diver shops have large cans) or better Q-tip teflon grease into the hole after use.

9. mmmk

mmmk Member

Mine are not that severe but i have rust on the mounting nuts. I had a small degree of rust there though before ever mounting the rack. I made sure it was recorded with mobile service. I do worry about the threads eventually rusting through but as of yet I haven't had a problem.