Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Sunroof' Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would really am skeptical about this whole "thermal glass" thing. Has anyone found anything beyond anecdotal comments from one supposed installer (who may just not wanted to install on the roof)?

Usually, when one talks of "thermal glass" it is two (or more apparently) panes of glass with a layer of air between. This is something frequently done in homes to help with thermal insulation. It is the air between the layers that are the reason you don't want to tint dual pane windows in your home - the reflective properties on the inside cause the air layer to heat up excessively and potentially cause the glass to break. But the two layers of the Tesla roof are sandwiched together with a UV protecting layer in between. Theoretically, this could cause the outer layer to heat up more readily, but the difference will not be as dramatic with the glass with an air layer.

Hey, Im in Brea also and had a few cars tinted by Rey also. If you don't mind, how much was it to tint the Model 3?
Thanks!
I went with the Suntek CIR (ceramic) on all glass (including windshield) and if I recall correctly, it was $1600. That may be on the high side, but I don't know. When I got it done, I was so busy at work I didn't have time to shop around. I stopped to talk with Rey on a Saturday morning and because of our schedules, he was to take my car right then, worked on it overnight and I had my car back Sunday morning. His service was why I recommend him very highly.

Hi all-

Been lurking around here for a while wanted to toss out my first question. Had my M3P since Dec 26th and loving it. The last couple of weeks I have been exploring tint options and have come across some varying information.

About half the shops I have contacted, seemingly all well reviewed and reputable, have told me they will not tint the glass directly above the driver and passenger due to extreme cracking risk after application- the 'sunroof'. The other half, just as well reviewed, offer to tint this glass without hesitation- thermal or not.

My question is what is the experience with this here? I'm in Los Angeles/OC and would love to have that portion ceramic tinted but am struggling with why some shops won't touch it. Any info on this greatly appreciated- thanks in advance, friends!

To answer your question, it really comes down to experience of the tint shop. It's the same reason why many shops won't or can't tint the front windshield of a Model 3, or do a 1 piece full rear glass on the M3.

Give Extreme Autowerks a ring.
www.extremeautowerks.net

600 Lunar Ave, Suite B (339.18 mi)
Brea, California 92821
(562) 551-8070

The top heat rejecting performance window film is Spectra Photosync IRD. The IRD line for Spectra Photosync was launched last year and improved on what was already the top heat blocking film in the industry. Spectra PhotoSync IRD® | Prestige You can find a lot of info on Spectra Photosync on this forum.

Extreme works on tons of Teslas - Extreme Autowerks

Throwing this out there, people tint all the glass, roof included, on like 99% of Model 3s here in Korea. It's pretty common practice for dealers here to install tint on all new vehicles as a freebie, but Tesla doesn't so the first thing everyone does is get tint.

The car has only been out since last fall in Korea so we'll see how these tints hold up long term.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
So I wanted to chime in. After a LOT of research I finally had my Model 3 done today. First Model 3 in GA from way back in June 2018. I got XR Prime PLUS 20 on all 4 sides. Yes I will technically be illegal in FL where I'm moving and WAY illegal in GA where I am for 3 more weeks. Prime PLUS 70% on the windshield as that's pretty much the best way to go from what I've seen and all that I've read. Now here's where it gets a bit wonky. The installer is a TOP pro and the shop is the top rated Xpel dealer in the entire southeast. The shop is very good in every way. The installer was talking to me outside and mentioned that he used the XR Prime on the back window (one piece back window only - no pano top) NOT the PLUS. Huh??? He said the heat rejection is too great and heat gets trapped and will heat up to the point that the back window can crack. Sounds plausible. Anyone??? I haven't seen this anywhere prior to this. I don't have an issue with it. It was raining and dark when I picked it up so I'm excited to really look at it closer over the next couple days. Looks awesome on first peek though. I keep walking out to the garage....haha

So I wanted to chime in. After a LOT of research I finally had my Model 3 done today. First Model 3 in GA from way back in June 2018. I got XR Prime PLUS 20 on all 4 sides. Yes I will technically be illegal in FL where I'm moving and WAY illegal in GA where I am for 3 more weeks. Prime PLUS 70% on the windshield as that's pretty much the best way to go from what I've seen and all that I've read. Now here's where it gets a bit wonky. The installer is a TOP pro and the shop is the top rated Xpel dealer in the entire southeast. The shop is very good in every way. The installer was talking to me outside and mentioned that he used the XR Prime on the back window (one piece back window only - no pano top) NOT the PLUS. Huh??? He said the heat rejection is too great and heat gets trapped and will heat up to the point that the back window can crack. Sounds plausible. Anyone??? I haven't seen this anywhere prior to this. I don't have an issue with it. It was raining and dark when I picked it up so I'm excited to really look at it closer over the next couple days. Looks awesome on first peek though. I keep walking out to the garage....haha
There's stories and plenty of experience of some early Tesla glass cracking because of this. Just last year when we got our Model Y the tint guy we've gone to for years said that he'd make us sign a waiver if we wanted the room tinted in the Y. He said there's not enough knowledge on it yet and he doesn't want the Model 3 horror stories to happen again. Honestly, even in Las Vegas, NV we don't need the roof tinted. We did the same XR Prime Plus, 20% on driver/passenger along with 70% on the rear windows (overtop the factory) so it all matched then 70% on the windshield... it's good to go since you can cool the car remotely and VERY quickly