TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sunroof while driving?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by sdorn, Dec 25, 2016.

1. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I just took delivery of my car a few days ago, but have noticed that the sunroof won't open when the car is in drive. I have to stop and put the car in park to open it. Is this normal?

2. wesley888

wesley888 Member

try to hit the close, and then open again.

• Like x 1
  3. Shateam

Shateam Member

• Helpful x 1
  4. sdorn

Thanks. I read that thread but they seemed to be having a general problem whereas mine is only not working when the car is in drive.

5. sdorn

Yes, tried that. Didn't help.

6. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Before going to the SC to repair you might try to operate the sunroof for both the right steering wheel toggle and from the main screen menu. It could just be a slight misalignment of the toggle. That happened to me, and it turned out I had just inadvertently hit the toggle switch. if that doesn't work it sounds like the SC to me.

• Helpful x 1
  7. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

I opened the sunroof today and selected multiple positions all while driving, no issues on my end.

• Helpful x 1
  8. sdorn

This turned out to be the issue. When I moved the scroll wheel on the steering wheel it showed 12% on the sunroof (although it was completely closed). For some reason I guess this was causing the main screen to not be able to open and close the sunroof unless the car was in park (for what reason I don't know). I was able to open and close the sunroof while driving using the scroll wheel.

• Like x 1