Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my sunroof, can’t get myself to upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016.5 is approaching the 8 year warranty, and while I promised myself years ago I’d never consider keeping it after that date I am having a hard time letting go—I just love the sunroof too much. Have looked at other brands like Fisker Ocean but it’s just not the same as my S. Was curious if others are in my position too—refusing to upgrade because of sunroof.

Wonder if it’d possible to retrofit a pano roof onto a new MS hmmm 🤔 Given the same roofline dimensions…I wonder.

I also owned one of the last 2018 MS’s with pano roof prior to it discontinuing. This was a feature I miss!

Maybe it's because I've owned real convertibles that I never understood peoples desire to use a car with a window on the ceiling that makes wind buffeting noises.
The front air flow dam/bug trap cancels buffeting. It’s just natural sunlight and open air.

Not everyone can afford or needs a convertible. Hence the creation of the sunroof lol 😂

My 2016.5 is approaching the 8 year warranty, and while I promised myself years ago I’d never consider keeping it after that date I am having a hard time letting go—I just love the sunroof too much. Have looked at other brands like Fisker Ocean but it’s just not the same as my S. Was curious if others are in my position too—refusing to upgrade because of sunroof.
Don't have it, wish I did.

I've driven a number of 2012-2016 Model S vehicles as well as a new Model S Plaid. There are so many improvements in the new car that you'd really have to be in love with that pano sunroof to justify not upgrading.

You can transfer FUSC to a new car through the end of the year, and premium connectivity is only $99/year. The horizontal screen is very nice and can tilt to the driver to make it easier to reach. Charging speed is 4x faster on a road trip, which also saves time if you're just charging locally on Superchargers to maximize your FUSC.

Test drive a new S and see what you think.

I would pay good money for a sunroof if it was an available option. (Even though, at this price point, a sunroof should be standard equipment just like it is on virtually every other car.) I always enjoyed being able to get the fresh air in every other car I've had that had one. I've never found the glass roof to be a meaningful feature. To adequately block the sunlight it ends up so dark that the vast majority of the time I really can't tell it's "glass."

I've driven a number of 2012-2016 Model S vehicles as well as a new Model S Plaid. There are so many improvements in the new car that you'd really have to be in love with that pano sunroof to justify not upgrading.

You can transfer FUSC to a new car through the end of the year, and premium connectivity is only $99/year. The horizontal screen is very nice and can tilt to the driver to make it easier to reach. Charging speed is 4x faster on a road trip, which also saves time if you're just charging locally on Superchargers to maximize your FUSC.

Test drive a new S and see what you think.

I've test driven the current S. The only meaningful change to me is that I like the newer seats. But it's a bit of a wash when I consider how terrible these stalk less steering wheels/yokes are.