Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super charger stalls governed by traffic laws ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lklundin

Oct 10, 2014
Bavaria
Various media is reporting a Model X managing to occupy three supercharger stalls, e.g.

Tesla Model X Driver's Supercharger Skills Spark Outrage, Reveal a Problem

I am curious:

In at least some jurisdictions, the parking stalls that are part of the public roads are governed by the traffic laws, i.e. you are liable to get a parking ticket for parking across the white lines.

If traffic laws do not apply, I guess it is safe to assume that the supercharger stalls are private property of Tesla Motors.
In that case, I guess any supercharging enabled car would have an owner who has agreed to Tesla's ToS (which I hope would stipulate that one cannot park across their divider lines) - and any non-supercharging enabled car would be trespassing.

So apart from the etiquette qeustion, what actual rules (traffic law or via a contract with Tesla) governs the use of Supercharger stalls?

Dunno about traffic laws, I think parking lots are mostly private property. I know a few folks who have been involved in fender benders in parking lots with stop signs, and the cop's response was that no one was as fault because it was a parking lot, and the aren't any right of way laws involved. (This was in TX)

I figure it's only a matter of time until there is a picture of a Model X pulling a trailer blocking an entire bank of superchargers.

They really need to offer an extension cord.

If there were other stalls available and he was ready to move if needed, I wouldnt care if he took the 3 stalls. I think in private parking lots, traffic laws dont apply. I see it all the time at fast food joints and such with people hauling trailers, They go furthest away and park across like 5 stalls and no one ever seems to care.

Now if he had just left his X there and couldnt care for anyone else then there would be a problem. I know this wont fly in cali as pretty much every SC I visited was always packed to capacity.

Common sense.

This is a picture of 4 stalls in a 12 stall location. Who knows whether there are 8 open stalls on the right, and the owner is standing right there, ready to move his car?

This picture is quite misleading. There were at least 5 open stalls the whole time he was there. This is just a case of people blwoing things out of context for page views.

This Supercharger (Newark, DE) is on public property, at a rest stop, so presumably it would be illegal to park like that.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
...This Supercharger (Newark, DE) is on public property, at a rest stop, so presumably it would be illegal to park like that.
Interesting. To the best of my recollection, almost every Supercharger Station I've visited has been on private property, mostly hotels, with a few at shopping areas or stores or visitor's centers (those might be city owned or, perhaps, owned by a chamber of commerce) or Tesla store/service center. Haven't come across one at a highway rest stop yet.

Various media is reporting a Model X managing to occupy three supercharger stalls, e.g.

I am curious:

In at least some jurisdictions, the parking stalls that are part of the public roads are governed by the traffic laws, i?
that might be the case in your part of the world but here in the USA the SpCs are almost always located on private property and other than handicap restrictions, and some localities having anti icing regs the authorities cannot and do not enforce any regulations at SpCs.

I am curious:

In at least some jurisdictions, the parking stalls that are part of the public roads are governed by the traffic laws, i.e. you are liable to get a parking ticket for parking across the white lines.

If traffic laws do not apply, I guess it is safe to assume that the supercharger stalls are private property of Tesla Motors.
In that case, I guess any supercharging enabled car would have an owner who has agreed to Tesla's ToS (which I hope would stipulate that one cannot park across their divider lines) - and any non-supercharging enabled car would be trespassing.

So apart from the etiquette qeustion, what actual rules (traffic law or via a contract with Tesla) governs the use of Supercharger stalls?
I see you are in Munich, so I don't know about how laws are applied in various places about how parking lots are handled. But I do know that this is not correct:
" I guess it is safe to assume that the supercharger stalls are private property of Tesla Motors."
Very definitely not. Unless it is at an actual Tesla service center (a few of them are), Tesla does not own any of the property of the Supercharger stalls. They are just spaces in someone else's parking lot, and Tesla has signed a use agreement to let them put the equipment there.

This picture is quite misleading. There were at least 5 open stalls the whole time he was there. This is just a case of people blwoing things out of context for page views.

This Supercharger (Newark, DE) is on public property, at a rest stop, so presumably it would be illegal to park like that.

I think there are a lot of missing facts here. One thing we all know though, the SC cable is very short. Model X with a Bike Rack and Bike, my guess is they couldn't back in close enough for the cable to reach. They did the only thing they could do without removing the bike and bike rack.

I think there are a lot of missing facts here. One thing we all know though, the SC cable is very short. Model X with a Bike Rack and Bike, my guess is they couldn't back in close enough for the cable to reach. They did the only thing they could do without removing the bike and bike rack.
Apparently the owner was attending to the car and there were plenty of other spots open, so this is kind of moot, but comments suggested if he parked in an angled way, he would have easily just taken up 2 spots instead of 3.

Note that just because it's on private property does not mean that no traffic laws apply… In CA most parking lots have a posted notice that the California Vehicle Code is enforced in the lot (primarily for handicap spot enforcement). If you're planning on tweaking the rules on a private lot, it's definitely worth looking up the laws or at least leaving a note so some enthusiastic vigilante doesn't end up costing you a parking ticket or worse!

I wondered if he/she could have removed the bike but left the rack on and then backed in a single slot and hooked up. Then they could have either put the bike back on the rack or set it next to the rack and relocked everything.

But this sounds like a simple case of someone just driving by out of context and taking a snapshot, posting it and then letting the internet decide what it means.:)