Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charging while absent. How safe is my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two SC's just outside of the Nashville area. I've actually been to both. The one just south is at the actual Tesla showroom and the one to the west is located in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express.

I still recommend getting at home charging before you get the car as driving to the SC to charge up gets old fast...unless it's only a few miles away...and you have something you can do while there. Although depending on your commute you can charge up on 110, but it's painfully slow...but in a pinch it works just fine...as long as you don't need to get back on the road anytime soon. In 10 hours on 110 you can get somewhere between 30-40 miles of range. Whereas you get that in about 1 hour with a typical 50amp 220 setup.

I read your post about new ownership and you described myself to a TEEEE! If you have a SC close by go over and talk to people as what I did prior to ordering and even after I gave my deposit. Actually had a little buyer's remorse.. never spent that much on a car before. It soon went away after talking to more owners. I knew very little about the car and even as you describe the charging...not knowing even how to use the SC. Heres what I have found over the past 3 months of ownership.... Owners know much more than some of the service centers and phone support that can give you insight to there personal experience with features and issues they have had. When you first start charging you go to the little charging icon on top of your screen and can set up how much you want to charge at that particular time or set it and forget it, seems like everyone has opinion on what to charge to but I have mine at about 85%. Also on the electrician I waited to have mine installed only because he was busy but if your close to a SC don't worry about it. Any qualified certified electrician can install the plug or wall charger so don't get stuck with having to pay more than you have to. My electrician charged me $175. granted it was very close to my service panel in the garage so not like it was a huge wiring run. Have fun with your new toy and come back to update how much you "SMILE" every time you get in it!!

You are SO nice! Everyone and I mean EVERYONE on this forum has just been unbelievably kind, informative and eager to help. I've never quite seen anything like it! It's like a "Nice People Only" Facebook LOL. I have gotten so many replies and gained so much knowledge just from others like you and it's just more fun than anything to read the posts, ask questions that I have and read the responses. I am SUPER excited about getting my Tesla Model S. I just wish wish wish I could have it today but I do hope they take their time making it, too. I sure don't want anything to crop up from the factor being rushed to get it to me. It's worth waiting for!
As for the SC, I don't live close to one :-( I live NE of Nashville and the nearest SC is about 40 miles away in Brentwood, TN but that's ok. I don't drive a lot and when I do, it's usually to Memphis to visit family, 225 miles away with 3 SC along Interstate 40, so this is going to be FUN! Only thing is, is I like to drive fast and I might not be able to do that as much as I'd like until I learn how to gauge my distance while on that road trip. I will get a bid from two electricians before I get my charger installed and THAT even will be exciting!
I'll have to post my experiences here on this forum and will try to be helpful to others like everyone on here has been for me. I won't be able to give info on technical stuff but I sure will be able to offer my experiences and try to be helpful. I cannot wait! Thank you for your advice and kind words! Super excited here in Nashville! Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Tech_Guy
There are two SC's just outside of the Nashville area. I've actually been to both. The one just south is at the actual Tesla showroom and the one to the west is located in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express.

I still recommend getting at home charging before you get the car as driving to the SC to charge up gets old fast...unless it's only a few miles away...and you have something you can do while there. Although depending on your commute you can charge up on 110, but it's painfully slow...but in a pinch it works just fine...as long as you don't need to get back on the road anytime soon. In 10 hours on 110 you can get somewhere between 30-40 miles of range. Whereas you get that in about 1 hour with a typical 50amp 220 setup.

Thank you! I actually live on the other side of the Nashville area (Hendersonville) so the Brentwood location at the dealership is a long way away (about 40 miles) so I will never use it unless I might be going to Costco and the one downtown is 20 minutes away. The only time I will be using a SC is on a road trip, such as going to Memphis to visit family. It's 225 miles from here to there and there are Super Chargers along the way on I40....(Dickson, Jackson and Germantown) which will work great for me!
I plan to get the charger installed in my garage as soon as I can get an electrician or two to give me an estimate. We do have two panel boxes and even though they are in the basement on the end wall of the house, that's the same wall as the garages (motor court entrance) so, I just have to decide where to put the charger. It looks like the run will have to be about 30 feet or a little more if I want to put it in the middle garage bay. I usually park in the one closest to the door going into the house so that bay will only require about a 25 foot run and I don't plan on parking in the middle bay, so I think I'm okay there. I just want it done, even though my car isn't even estimated to be delivered until probably February. I will definitely have it in place by the time the car is delivered though. Thank you for the info and advice!

I've never done this, nor have I ever heard this as something which was advised. What's the benefit to this rather than just pushing the button on the charge cable and pulling it out? Do you do this same thing at home?

At home I will unplug by depressing the button on the plug handle if I am going directly to the car from the house because I am done charging.

Most of my Supercharging is in the West from May through September, and the air temperature in direct sunlight can exceed 110 degrees in many locations. The plug handle can become very hot under those conditions. By using the touchscreen I minimize the time that I have to grasp the plug and depress the button because charging has stopped, and the charge port is unlocked. I have experienced a few charging plugs that took a few stabs at depressing the button before removal. With all the use and potential abuse that the Superchargers receive, I just thought my approach would lessen the time I spend trying to remove the plug once I am ready to depart.

I made the assumption that Tesla would not permit an action like this if it were ill-advised.

Most of my Supercharging is in the West from May through September, and the air temperature in direct sunlight can exceed 110 degrees in many locations. The plug handle can become very hot under those conditions. By using the touchscreen I minimize the time that I have to grasp the plug and depress the button because charging has stopped, and the charge port is unlocked. I have experienced a few charging plugs that took a few stabs at depressing the button before removal. With all the use and potential abuse that the Superchargers receive, I just thought my approach would lessen the time I spend trying to remove the plug once I am ready to depart.

I made the assumption that Tesla would not permit an action like this if it were ill-advised.

Nope I was not trying to imply that at all, sorry if it came across that way. Your explanation makes sense for your situation...and Tesla certainly does provide many ways to stop charging (phone, touchscreen, charge cable). I just do it differently and was curious as to why you were doing it the way you were. Most of the time when my car is charging I'm walking around in some store that's nearby. I generally just watch the app and start walking back to my car when charging is about finished. So for me, getting into the car to turn off the charging would take more time. Of course, we don't have 110 degree weather to contend with (most of the time)...so there's that too.

Also, worth noting - when you start charging the ring around the port will flash green. The flashing is roughly based on the rate of charge. If there is a problem, like you haven't pushed the cable in correctly, you might get an orange color.
When you lock the car and walk away the ring goes dark - so there is no flashing light to draw attention to the car, even though it is still charging
I'm being a bit pedantic, but the charge port flashing speed is based on state of charge, not rate of charge - it flashes fast at a low state of charge and slowly at a high state of charge. But the flashing rate at 10% state of charge is the same whether you are supercharging at 115kW or charging at 1.5kW on 120V.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Not exactly. For every 2 supercharger stalls (where you plug in your car) there is one supercharger cabinet (the big electrical equipment). If you and another car are sharing the same exact supercharger cabinet (as noted by the numbers on the stalls) then your charge rate will indeed be slower as you are sharing with someone else. However, if (for example) you pull up to a 10 stall charger and 8 are in use but you get a cabinet all to yourself then you will essentially get the same charge rate as if you were there solo. So bottom line, avoid parking directly next to another car when possible in order to get the best rate of charge.

Careful on this one (as highlighted above). Everything is correct except where to park. As most people have noted, pedestals share a supercharger. My advice to new people is: don't plug in to the same number equipment as anyone else. Older SpC locations are often set up 1,2, 3, 1, 2, 3 where new locations are set up 1,1,2,2,3,3, etc.
So at some old locations parking next to another car is the ideal location. When I pull in a note the layout and park accordingly.
(PS I honestly feel too much is made of the 1a,1b, 2a,2b. I think the a/b is there for ease in reporting a problem. Otherwise, all I need to know is stay off the same post number).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H