Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharge.info map changes coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

paulkva

part of the supercharge.info dev team
Jul 22, 2013
Falls Church, VA
I'm excited to announce some upcoming changes to the map page on supercharge.info!

The quick summary is that you will soon have the flexibility to choose the size of the markers and whether or not they display in clusters. The overall goals were to give people the option to reduce clutter on the map and make it more responsive on older, smaller devices.

Please go to supercharge.info to check it out, and feel free to provide feedback here in this thread.

1674091591280.png 1674091636920.png 1674091669009.png

Please keep in mind that the test database, while recently refreshed, does not automatically sync with the main production database, so you won't necessarily see the latest updated sites. As of this post, the test database was last updated on January 13.

Nice!

I find auto-zoom to work fairly well for me, but when zoomed way out I did appreciate being able to make the markers as small as possible to avoid most overlap. Then when zoomed way in, I liked them bigger because of the extra map noise (though still not quite as large as set by auto-zoom).

I tried clustering. It seems in some dense areas it might be useful, but I tried a couple and I still prefer having individual markers.

And just adding my Thank You to the chorus. You don't want to know how many times I've pulled out my phone, went to the map, and said, "See? There's Quite A Few Superchargers in the USA!"

Normal reaction is that people get bug-eyes.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Love the site! I tried creating an account so I could inquire about some new sites but the email verification link keeps returning a failure. Is there another way I can get information on some sites that are on Tesla's page but not on supercharger.info?

Love the site! I tried creating an account so I could inquire about some new sites but the email verification link keeps returning a failure. Is there another way I can get information on some sites that are on Tesla's page but not on supercharger.info?
You are probably talking about "Coming Soon" sites on Tesla.

Sites don't get added on supercharge.info until they are at least in the Permit stage, so that would leave a lot of sites that are coming soon, but not yet at that stage. Furthermore, while there is a forum available on supercharge.info, most of the discussion takes place here on teslamotorsclub (and the discuss links point back here), so your best bet to get information on upcoming sites is to search this forum. There are probably threads dedicated to each of the coming soon sites on the Tesla site, and if not, you can create one yourself and start the discussion!

Reactions: JLC13
The new changes look great. I prefer the the auto-zoom to clustering.

BTW, there is one bug that I've noticed for a while on the Changes screen. It used to remember the region. For a while now, it has been losing the region and users have to select it each time to filter the results. Any chance you could set a cookie and remember the selected region again?

You are probably talking about "Coming Soon" sites on Tesla.

Sites don't get added on supercharge.info until they are at least in the Permit stage, so that would leave a lot of sites that are coming soon, but not yet at that stage. Furthermore, while there is a forum available on supercharge.info, most of the discussion takes place here on teslamotorsclub (and the discuss links point back here), so your best bet to get information on upcoming sites is to search this forum. There are probably threads dedicated to each of the coming soon sites on the Tesla site, and if not, you can create one yourself and start the discussion!
Correct. I'm guessing Tesla is slow as usual - the two sites I'm most curious about have a projected opening date of Q2 2023 which, if that were actually going to happen, would have to put them well past the initial permit stage.

If you tried signing up from test.supercharge.info, I expect the email verification might not be hooked up properly. Try using supercharge.info to sign up instead. Although as @RTPEV said, while there's some discussion of new sites on forum.supercharge.info, most takes place here on TMC. If you click on a marker on supercharge.info, the info window that pops up should include a link to a relevant discussion thread -- and most of those links will direct you here! 😁 For example, the "discuss" link shown below takes you to Supercharger - Tyson's Corner, VA.

1675994785527.png

BTW, there is one bug that I've noticed for a while on the Changes screen. It used to remember the region. For a while now, it has been losing the region and users have to select it each time to filter the results. Any chance you could set a cookie and remember the selected region again?
I've seen quite a bit of feedback on the Changes page lately. I think there's some renewed appetite to work on fixes and enhancements, so I'm hopeful that once the latest set of map changes moves from test to the main site, the pace of development will pick up. Hoping for this weekend or so but can't promise anything.

Reactions: RTPEV
One thing I learned early on was that people have strong preferences for or against clustering -- that's why it's an option. :)
I hate clusters. They make EA’s website unusable. They also make searching for destination chargers on Tesla’s “Find Us” page difficult. I am excited to try the auto zoom though.

One thing I would really, really, like to see on supercharge.info is English names for foreign countries, states, provences, cities etc. The current map is unreadable (by me) in many areas, espically China, Japan, the Middle East, and other areas that don’t use our alphabet.

GSP

Reactions: Big Earl
I hate clusters. They make EA’s website unusable. They also make searching for destination chargers on Tesla’s “Find Us” page difficult. I am excited to try the auto zoom though.

One thing I would really, really, like to see on supercharge.info is English names for foreign countries, states, provences, cities etc. The current map is unreadable (by me) in many areas, espically China, Japan, the Middle East, and other areas that don’t use our alphabet.

GSP
I've looked into alternate map tile services, but I haven't yet found one we can use that displays names in the user's language regardless of where the user is looking. If you have suggestions I'd be happy to look into it, as this has been a slight annoyance for me as well, as a developer and tester.

I have occasionally used the site and also find a lot of good information contained within. My only gripe is with the Status column. Orange triangles should be changed to orange cones
1690307584994.png
to signify construction, red circles (which in almost all instances means Stop!, Offline! or Down!) changed to green (meaning Go!, Ready! or Up!), blue triangles changed to rectangles (in portrait mode to signify a piece of paper
1690307939319.png
) for permits.