Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please be aware that US 50 is closed at Blue Mesa Reservoir for an emergency bridge repair. This is expected to be a long term closure. So, no traveling between Poncha Springs or Gunnison and Montrose for some time to come. I-70 is the best alternate route for travel between the Front Range and Montrose.
Thanks for posting.
Doesn’t this route close every summer for some reason or another? :)

Thanks for posting.
Doesn’t this route close every summer for some reason or another? :)
CDOT has been doing highway construction in that area for several years. The road is closed at night and there are traffic holds during the day on weekdays. However, it was possible to bypass the hold with a detour, if desired.

This closure is the bridge beyond the construction zone and bypass route. No getting around it. The state is doing an emergency bridge repair and has asked for federal funding. For the time being, US 50 is closed and Gunnison is isolated from Montrose. A nuisance for those of us on the Montrose side. A real PITA for the folks in Gunnison and Crested Butte. The detour via I-70 is way over a hundred miles.

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasDuke
CDOT has been doing highway construction in that area for several years. The road is closed at night and there are traffic holds during the day on weekdays. However, it was possible to bypass the hold with a detour, if desired.

This closure is the bridge beyond the construction zone and bypass route. No getting around it. The state is doing an emergency bridge repair and has asked for federal funding. For the time being, US 50 is closed and Gunnison is isolated from Montrose. A nuisance for those of us on the Montrose side. A real PITA for the folks in Gunnison and Crested Butte. The detour via I-70 is way over a hundred miles.
Totally off topic, but why do people usually drive between Gunnison and CB? Other than campers/hikers, what's the main user of US50. Just curious.

Totally off topic, but why do people usually drive between Gunnison and CB? Other than campers/hikers, what's the main user of US50. Just curious.
Same reason the chicken crossed the road, to get to the other side! /s

Seriously though, from Gunnison to Crested Butte, you are probably going to/from Crested Butte, as that's kind of a "dead end". However, from the Western Slope to the Front Range, there's 3 main routes: I-70, US-50, US-160. Most direct route from my town to the Denver metromess is US-50 to US-285. So besides tourism, there's local residents, ranchers, businesses, deliveries, etc that all use that route as the most efficient path. It may be possible to detour through a series of county roads to get to some places, but not every place. US-50 being restricted affects a lot of people.

I-70 is just not a pleasant drive for myself . . . SOOO many unprepared, overconfident, hurried drivers make it an accident waiting to happen, especially in the winter. 😱 😨 I'm too old to spend any more of my dwindling time "parked" on the Interstate.
Definitely Colorado Springs, but even Denver (especially anyhwhere near South or West 470) to Montrose or Grand Junction is often as quick on US-50. They usually keep it well plowed (ski areas ya know 💲 ) plus it's WAY more fun to drive the curves. Hopefully not many will read this so US-50 won't become clogged with the aforementioned type drivers. (Riff Raff? 😉 )
P.S. Thank you @fhteagle for "metromess"! Now I get dessert since I learned something today! 🥧🧁🍦