Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's funny. It is a lot of work to keep my wife OUT of KOP.

With it being almost October, it's looking less and less likely that we will see a Harrisburg, PA Super Charger.

Not that I need one, but it would still be cool. I'd like a State College, PA one too...

I have heard a first hand rumor from someone on PSU main campus that has a position that would put him in the know that they are trying to get one at the conference center.

The article says a "pole mounted transformer". Is that even possible?? Cottonwood, did you see this?

See Supercharger - Inyokern (Went LIVE on 03-20-2015) - Page 7

It appears that the Inyokern Supercharger is a 4-stall site powered by 3, 100-kVA, pole-mount transformers. That is the equivalent of a single, ground-mount, 300-kVA, 3-phase transformer. I don't think pole-mount transformers are made larger than 100 kVA. Therefore, I can't imagine a Supercharger Site with more than 4 stalls being powered by pole-mount transformers. They could be accessing the Distribution Voltage from a pole with some existing pole-mount transformers and feeding a ground mount transformer...

See Supercharger - Inyokern (Went LIVE on 03-20-2015) - Page 7

It appears that the Inyokern Supercharger is a 4-stall site powered by 3, 100-kVA, pole-mount transformers. That is the equivalent of a single, ground-mount, 300-kVA, 3-phase transformer. I don't think pole-mount transformers are made larger than 100 kVA. Therefore, I can't imagine a Supercharger Site with more than 4 stalls being powered by pole-mount transformers. They could be accessing the Distribution Voltage from a pole with some existing pole-mount transformers and feeding a ground mount transformer...
I guess we'll find out when we start getting construction pics ( hint to the local folks :) )

Right by Red Robin, YUMMM.

That's a better location than the Lehigh Valley mall IMO. You've got 22, 78 and the PA Turnpike (NEX) all coming together right there.

Next up: Another SC along 78 in NJ?

I'd (selfishly) love to see another supercharger along 78 in NJ, especially since Bridgewater (78/287/202/206/22) would be a logical location and I travel there a lot. But if I were in Tesla's supercharging group, I'd prioritize 78/80/81 in PA (especially something in/near Harrisburg and something near where 80/81 meet) over anything else in north/central NJ. Edison, Paramus, and Hamilton are each < 100 miles away from Allentown. And when considering "in-fill" locations, I'd sooner add something urban to Manhattan and/or Philadelphia (like they have in London) than I would to suburban NJ.

More directly on the topic of Allentown, glad to hear about the green light, and end-of-year seems quite achievable (in my totally non-expert view). :)

been 2 weeks since township approval (which for Allentown I know is just a blink of an eye, given the previous Allentown fiasco debacle brouhaha), Just wondering if any updates - any life at the site? Article from the township's approval said by end of year - just didn't say what year!!

Cannot wait - Philly airport here I come .....

I am new to this forum but not to Tesla and stalking the supercharger network build. Why Tannersville when Scranton, necessary to open up Eastern PA to Western NY (can't reach Syracuse from Philly or Allentown) and Harrisburg are so much more critical to allowing for the crossing of the Keystone state??? I can only assume that many are in process and they don't get approved in the order that is most strategic to the overall network, but rather at the pleasure or displeasure of local government gate keepers.

Harrisburg is also already in work (and has been for quite awhile).

Scranton vs Tannersville is a subject for the Tannersville thread, but in short it begins the I80 East-West crossing and is at a location where Tesla already has an established real estate partner. Scranton doesn't allow for E-W travel, and the N-S travel is already covered by the Allentown and Binghamton chargers