Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a lawyer, but it does seem important that the property owner (or renter) be the one to apply for a formal zoning change for said property. Otherwise I could be out there re-zoning my friends' properties all the time as a practical joke.

Lets hope that it is really just a procedural matter. This location/general area would be awesome for lots of people including me.

Oh yeh, sure. Like neither of those boards will require changes to the plans to make them start all over again? You so funny! :)

Let's say earliest approval could happen is December.

Let's think this through:

Tesla cannot get a zoning change without getting a lease agreement. If Tesla gets a lease agreement first and then doesn't get the zoning change, they have to break the lease.

On the other hand, if the owners get a zoning change and Tesla backs out of the agreement (ie: because they can't get enough electrical power to the location safely and inexpensively), the owners lose out by having zoning changed potentially to something they can't exploit the land for later.

Only way this works is if Tesla signs a lease agreement with a 90-day out clause and hopes for the best.

Let's think this through:

Tesla cannot get a zoning change without getting a lease agreement. If Tesla gets a lease agreement first and then doesn't get the zoning change, they have to break the lease.

On the other hand, if the owners get a zoning change and Tesla backs out of the agreement (ie: because they can't get enough electrical power to the location safely and inexpensively), the owners lose out by having zoning changed potentially to something they can't exploit the land for later.

Only way this works is if Tesla signs a lease agreement with a 90-day out clause and hopes for the best.

Not necessarily. From the article - "The board suggested Tesla have the property owner join as a co-applicant when the proposal goes back before the board — perhaps with a lease agreement contingent upon the project's approval."

So there's that. . .

This isn't the first time Tesla is applying for a permit. You'd think they have already worked through the process and have a repeatable approach. Seems they were trying to take a short-cut on this one.

You really think each town/municipality/governing body has the same processes? Please. . . I imagine the processes change in the same town from month-to-month!

Sorry, just aggravated with the usual politics this month. Why is nothing simple? It's like all of the people on the boards of these towns have something to prove. And yet when a developer comes in and wants to build 200 houses and destroy green space and completely screw up traffic - no problem!

Oh I didn't mean to imply it was simple but going for a zoning change on property you don't have any legal interest/rights seems a bit amateur. Signing a lease with contingency would be an obvious approach protecting both parties.

Tesla has done this hundreds of times now. Either they thought a letter was the best way to do it, and was successful in other locales, or they couldn't get the lease worked out in time for the meeting.

You really think each town/municipality/governing body has the same processes? Please. . . I imagine the processes change in the same town from month-to-month!

Sorry, just aggravated with the usual politics this month. Why is nothing simple? It's like all of the people on the boards of these towns have something to prove. And yet when a developer comes in and wants to build 200 houses and destroy green space and completely screw up traffic - no problem!

Welcome to PA. This is typical of PA. Some municipalities accept an agent on behalf letter signed by the owners. Others don't. And still others ( most) don't require any owner approval to pull a building permit. It is very rare that we have to produce an agent on behalf letter. Getting a variance in PA can be quite a tricky task. Then cross a road or a river to the neighboring muni and you are asking for a letter in writing that no zoning is needed for the proposed project.

2 weeks... :(

Bummer. I was just trolling meeting minutes in the Harrisburg area looking for signs of superchargers there too since I have heard rumors from tesla service. I did not find anything there either.

We had to stop at King of Prussia mall two weeks ago for an hour to get juice to make it to Newark. (Lots of construction at the mall by the way. I couldn't use the charger I used last time that our car had stored. That section of the lot was under construction. Had to use chargers in garage which took us 10 minutes to find.)