Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Annapolis MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone who understands the inspection process explain what the last two lines mean?

They passed there service inspection, which would allow BG&E to turn power on. I would call this a TPF, temporary pending final. Tesla could turn the site check everything out and now be completely ready to open. But they can't until they get a final.

Typically you would see this in a store or restaurant all lit up ready to go, but there not open.

Final means FINAL, when they get a final, the electrical is DONE. Building department would also have to sign off after that.

Until Walter Shrapp is happy your not getting the sticker.

I wonder if the county is not liking something in Tesla's package. A missing UL label or missing signage. Tesla could literally have to pay and fly a UL inspector out have him personally approve the product. they can't just mail a sticker, the inspector has to put it on. I'm not to keen on there use of Through (wireway) and that could have the inspector go hum......... Prove it, they have that right, until overruled.

It could be as simple as a reinspection fee.

Bottom line they can turn the lights on now, just can't use the chargers.

Sitting in 1A. Confirm no power. All looks ready. Security just drifted by - nice and slow. Will check again tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 60
Did you see if the meter has been installed on the ground floor?
I swung by after work today. There still isn’t a meter installed. Also, the yellow post and red sign about service locations are new. See attached pictures.

Attachments

• F99D5071-F4B6-40F3-93EE-05B0F9F5FEB6.jpeg
    F99D5071-F4B6-40F3-93EE-05B0F9F5FEB6.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 49
  • E038519F-FB10-4952-A993-C652F0B74C4A.jpeg
    E038519F-FB10-4952-A993-C652F0B74C4A.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 53
Thanks Sub - I noticed no meter. Sorry failed to mention. I was wondering if the yellow post was new; couldn’t remember. That might have been the fail. I certainly hope the last, and that the meter install will happen PDQ. Saw seven Tesla on the 30 mi round trip to inspect. 3 m3s, 3 mS and an X. More every day!

I swung by after work today. There still isn’t a meter installed. Also, the yellow post and red sign about service locations are new. See attached pictures.

This could be the issue, Bollards. The inspector could be claiming the electrical cabinets are subject to "Physical damage". Anyone could hit those cabinets and really start a fire. At most sites that equipment is offset and fenced in where the public can't go walking around the equipment. On the flip side he could requiring Proper Access clearances to the equipment, blocking the fence installation.

he could be requiring a Arc Flash study on the equipment which takes time.

i hope it is just bollards.

Reactions: vdiv
This could be the issue, Bollards. The inspector could be claiming the electrical cabinets are subject to "Physical damage". Anyone could hit those cabinets and really start a fire. At most sites that equipment is offset and fenced in where the public can't go walking around the equipment. On the flip side he could requiring Proper Access clearances to the equipment, blocking the fence installation.

he could be requiring a Arc Flash study on the equipment which takes time.

i hope it is just bollards.

I think that makes sense. The equipment is on a busy street at the corner of an intersection.

Reactions: vdiv
I think that makes sense. The equipment is on a busy street at the corner of an intersection.

I spoke with the AA Co inspector this morning and he said that the installation has been released to have The gas and electric company energize it. He said that after it is energized he will make a final inspection, and he added that he’s not sure what other issues may come from Tesla inspectors as a result of the construction process, but that as far as he’s concerned all looks good now.

I spoke with the AA Co inspector this morning and he said that the installation has been released to have The gas and electric company energize it. He said that after it is energized he will make a final inspection, and he added that he’s not sure what other issues may come from Tesla inspectors as a result of the construction process, but that as far as he’s concerned all looks good now.
Also, re arc flash,
I wonder if that would be necessary since this seems like typical ‘canned pre engineered’ Tesla design? . .

Also,
Seems like it would have been a lot less complicated an installation in Home Depot lot across the street, and much more typical of other supercharger installations I’ve seen. (I’ve been to about 15 traveling the east coast in P3D).

Reactions: StefanT and ThosEM
Also, re arc flash,
I wonder if that would be necessary since this seems like typical ‘canned pre engineered’ Tesla design? . .

You would think Tesla could do a canned package with those calculations, but they need to know the available fault currents to start the calcs with. Could they do a chart with a sliding rule/chart that covers all available ranges and just be done with it. They simply find that value during the initial project design. I would think it would be acceptable since Tesla appears to be furnishing all of the equipment. You know they have a done all the variables in house just plug the fault level and cable lengths and watch is spit out the results.

Reactions: Fiddler
Making a good EV powertain is just not something Porsche and VW have any experience doing. This process will be painful for them and makes me wary of buying any first generation EVs from their brands.

Also,
Seems like it would have been a lot less complicated an installation in Home Depot lot across the street, and much more typical of other supercharger installations I’ve seen. (I’ve been to about 15 traveling the east coast in P3D).

This could be the dopiest supercharger install ever. I like the idea of a covered SC, but on the second floor? Where the heck have we ever seen that before? I guess they have to go where they have to go, but what ever happened to SCs covered by solar arrays? Sometimes Elon is better at being provocative than at being proactive.

This could be the dopiest supercharger install ever. I like the idea of a covered SC, but on the second floor? Where the heck have we ever seen that before? I guess they have to go where they have to go, but what ever happened to SCs covered by solar arrays? Sometimes Elon is better at being provocative than at being proactive.

Worse than this is the site in Arlington, on the roof of a 5-story parking deck with narrow aisles and a fair amount of traffic. It'll be a nail-biter in an X, for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: ThosEM

Leesburg is the same.

1.The main reason, if you were a property owner would you allow Tesla to come in and tear up your parking garage floor to install SC's? Or worse blocking access to the entire garage, while they dig?

2. Also we don't want to be hogging up the front row parking spots, we will get ICED all the time. I would rather be in the rear than in the front.

3. In theory for an existing structure, it is faster and cheaper to run the exposed conduit underneath the floor below, that trying to put it in the ground. Look how fast Leesburg was built.

Anyone will go the cheapest route for sure. Sometimes if you don't have your bases covered it will bite you in the butt.

Now if you out in the country and things are spread out, Like a Sheetz. go with the underground route.

Leesburg is the same.

1.The main reason, if you were a property owner would you allow Tesla to come in and tear up your parking garage floor to install SC's? Or worse blocking access to the entire garage, while they dig?

2. Also we don't want to be hogging up the front row parking spots, we will get ICED all the time. I would rather be in the rear than in the front.

3. In theory for an existing structure, it is faster and cheaper to run the exposed conduit underneath the floor below, that trying to put it in the ground. Look how fast Leesburg was built.

Anyone will go the cheapest route for sure. Sometimes if you don't have your bases covered it will bite you in the butt.

Now if you out in the country and things are spread out, Like a Sheetz. go with the underground route.