Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Arlington, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back through this thread, I see @TexasEV noticed this:

I see an interesting clause in the agreement-- the city can ticket non-charging vehicles parked there, and can also ticket Tesla vehicles parked there for more than two hours. That should solve the problem of Tesla owners using it for destination charging when they're at the stadium!

Is it possible to plug in those vehicles that "forgot" to plug in? Those supercharger fees should start racking up quickly that way.

Also, I'm sure that a tow for a non-charging vehicle would strongly discourage anyone from using it as parking.

Is it possible to plug in those vehicles that "forgot" to plug in? Those supercharger fees should start racking up quickly that way.

Also, I'm sure that a tow for a non-charging vehicle would strongly discourage anyone from using it as parking.

I did try pushing the button on my HPWC in the garage while the car was locked and the fob was on the other side of the house.

I was able to plug in.

So I assume it would be possible. But probably not appropriate to be messing with someone else car, even if all your doing is providing a free service connecting them because they forgot. Hate to have them stranded at the stadium!

Tesla owners are jerks.

I see an interesting clause in the agreement-- the city can ticket non-charging vehicles parked there, and can also ticket Tesla vehicles parked there for more than two hours. That should solve the problem of Tesla owners using it for destination charging when they're at the stadium!

Is it possible to plug in those vehicles that "forgot" to plug in? Those supercharger fees should start racking up quickly that way. Also, I'm sure that a tow for a non-charging vehicle would strongly discourage anyone from using it as parking.

Both the City of Arlington and Tesla must get control of this situation and follow through to stop people from abusing the SC as a parking spot. I would be IRATE if I was on a road trip traveling down I-30 and was blocked by people utilizing the SC stalls as parking spaces. The unmitigated and cringe-worthy gall of people parking there without even plugging in is disturbing but not surprising.

I presume that access to the charging stalls remains free during games? On the one hand, I don't think people who happen to be stopping by to charge should have to pay to plug in, but it does create an extra incentive for abuse for people considering using it as free parking. Perhaps a special rule and clear signage that during sporting events, the driver must stay with the car during charging.
  • First step needs to be clear signage
    • state that the stalls are for charging only
    • <if possible> state that driver must stay with car during sporting events
    • state the two hour time limit for charging and that violators will be ticketed
    • state that idle fees will apply
  • City needs to ticket these spots aggressively at 2 hours
  • If towing is allowed then that should be posted and enforced as well

The problem with plugging in the cars is that it would then require intervention by Tesla to release the plug when the tow truck driver arrived.

Better to tow them - Tesla could offer to pay for Rangers to announce “Attention Tesla owner John Doe: please check your Tesla app for the location of your car’s impound lot.”

The problem with plugging in the cars is that it would then require intervention by Tesla to release the plug when the tow truck driver arrived.

Better to tow them - Tesla could offer to pay for Rangers to announce “Attention Tesla owner John Doe: please check your Tesla app for the location of your car’s impound lot.”
If there are enough cars impounded, they could offer a "free" shuttle.

Sounds like Tesla needs to hire an attendant during events.

So my experience last year was that I pulled into the parking lot next to the SuperCharger willing to pay for parking. My charge was low and I planned to charge after the game. But I also knew I would not be there long (it was a biz event).

When I approached the parking attendant she would not take my money. She said “what you are not going to park at the Charger?” I told her I was here for the game and did not think I was allowed to park for the whole game. She replied: “of course you are. They park the whole time every game”

I said well ok. There were zero cars and I needed a charge. Hopefully I leave the biz event close to the end of the charge - don’t panic - I came back and left before charging was over.

However this might explain the behavior we are now seeing.....

We have a growing problem of Teslas PARKING (not charging) in these spaces during Rangers games.
On my most recent visit, around 3:00PM on April 1, eight stalls were blocked by Teslas and only one car was connected to a Supercharger.

I'm struggling to rationalize why Tesla owners would think this is okay -- they apparently know enough not to plug in, so they can avoid potential idle fees.

LOL, guess you could tick them off and connect the charger and start charging for them!

Reactions: bollar
So my experience last year was that I pulled into the parking lot next to the SuperCharger willing to pay for parking. My charge was low and I planned to charge after the game. But I also knew I would not be there long (it was a biz event).

When I approached the parking attendant she would not take my money. She said “what you are not going to park at the Charger?” I told her I was here for the game and did not think I was allowed to park for the whole game. She replied: “of course you are. They park the whole time every game”

I said well ok. There were zero cars and I needed a charge. Hopefully I leave the biz event close to the end of the charge - don’t panic - I came back and left before charging was over.

However this might explain the behavior we are now seeing.....

Yeah, sounds like the parking attendants are unknowledgeable, not like they are paid to be when it comes to charging!

It sounds like, effectively - these are the wrong types of chargers for this location. It sounds like they should be destination chargers instead. Or, since the SCs are already there, add a row of destination chargers as well so at least those planning to be a while can use a charger that fits in better with their activities on that particular day.

It sounds like, effectively - these are the wrong types of chargers for this location. It sounds like they should be destination chargers instead. Or, since the SCs are already there, add a row of destination chargers as well so at least those planning to be a while can use a charger that fits in better with their activities on that particular day.

The majority of the drivers aren't looking for destination chargers or superchargers, just looking for a free ride (or, parking in this case) it sounds like to me.

Reactions: PLUS EV and bollar
The majority of the drivers aren't looking for destination chargers or superchargers, just looking for a free ride (or, parking in this case) it sounds like to me.

Yep. These are people who can afford (1) a Tesla and (2) to go to a Rangers game, but won't pay the $20 to park. Though I suspect there's a significant overlap of people who think this is OK with people who go out of their way by 30 minutes to supercharge so they can save the $4 it costs to charge at home.

Btw - I don’t want to belittle the destination charger suggestion. There are people that go to the games from some distance away and they would benefit. A supercharger session is too quick for a game. Supercharging before/after would be a traffic nightmare.

A set of destination chargers in the paid lot would be appropriate.

Also, updated signage.

And the GPS should flag a message on the screen about parking while not plugged in.

Reactions: TMC Bubba
Obvious solution is to valet during games. Charge $20 or whatever. Valet attendant can charge the Teslas on a first-come first-serve basis (up to 90% max) and then move them to the adjacent parking lot. If a road-weary traveler happens to come through during the game, they get priority. If somehow there are so many Teslas that they don't all get charged during the game, the remaining Teslas are parked nearby and can queue up for a charge after the game as the traffic dies down.

The benefit for the parking lot is that they get a ton of Tesla business. The benefit for the Tesla driver is that they get a near full charge without having to miss an inning of the game running out to move their car. This also would end the needless opportunity charging. If you have to pay $20, you aren't going to go to this lot unless you really need the charge. You would instead just go to the most convenient lot for you depending on how you are approaching the stadium.

• Love
Reactions: RScottyL
I am driving from College Station to meet with my daughter for lunch tomorrow and EVtripplanner suggests using these SC after the lunch. Anyone use them recently? From the AT&T stadium website there does not appear to be any events Saturday June 30. There is a Rangers game but not until 830 PM.

I am driving from College Station to meet with my daughter for lunch tomorrow and EVtripplanner suggests using these SC after the lunch. Anyone use them recently? From the AT&T stadium website there does not appear to be any events Saturday June 30. There is a Rangers game but not until 830 PM.
You should be fine. Unless there's a Rangers game, they tend to be lightly used.

Reactions: KidDoc
I'm planning to use the Arlington Supercharger at around 4 PM Friday 8/31/2018, so about 3 hrs before a Rangers game. Part of a long road trip, so open bathroom and a charge are essential. Don't need food at this stop. I could switch to Saturday at about the same time, which avoids the Rangers and maybe some Dallas/Fort Worth traffic. But are the Convention Center restrooms open then? A walk to the Sheraton looks possible if the CC is not open.

I'm planning to use the Arlington Supercharger at around 4 PM Friday 8/31/2018, so about 3 hrs before a Rangers game. Part of a long road trip, so open bathroom and a charge are essential. Don't need food at this stop. I could switch to Saturday at about the same time, which avoids the Rangers and maybe some Dallas/Fort Worth traffic. But are the Convention Center restrooms open then? A walk to the Sheraton looks possible if the CC is not open.
If there's a convention, the bathrooms will be available for you to use and the Sheraton is a short walk. The biggest risk would normally be traffic around the stadium and some #T_Holes that block the Superchargers and use them for preferential game day parking. Given the way the Rangers have been playing, this is less of a risk.

I assume you're going West to East. You could try the Southlake Supercharger, which has numerous amenities and if you're willing to take the toll roads could be as fast as going through Downtown Dallas on I-30 at rush hour.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS