Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC - Thetford Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This exit is becoming quite the charger hub. There is a 50kW EVGo charger (CHAdeMO, CCS) near the movie theater in that same shopping complex.
(There also used to be a couple of free Level 2 J1772 chargers on the main street, but they no longer come up in PlugShare.)

The weird thing is that those evgo 50kw units are super expensive. I wonder if anyone uses them.

Asheville - Biltmore Park, NC

Along Primary Interstates: I-26
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-25, US-74
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-26

To: North Charleston, SC - 248.5 miles
Diversion: 1.4 miles
To: End (Charleston, SC) - 255.5 miles

US-25

To: Asheville - South Tunnel Rd, NC - 10.6 miles
Diversion: 4.4 miles
To: London, KY - 195.1 miles

US-74

To: Rockingham, NC - 185.2 miles
Diversion: 1.4 miles
To: Wilmington, NC - 320.2 miles

To: Knoxville - Brookview Centre Way, TN (I-26, I-40) - 122.1 miles

It's a v3 on I-26! (Just.)
Well, although it doesn't help much on I-26 itself, it does add a v3 for the I-40/I-26 transition, which will help all the Ohioans heading to Charleston, SC.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight
The weird thing is that those evgo 50kw units are super expensive. I wonder if anyone uses them.
My wife used them once, to recharge her i3, a couple of summers ago, coming back to Charlotte from a family reunion in Brasstown Valley. That location was about halfway on the trip. I met her there and we went for lunch while she recharged.

EVGo does seem pricey, at least here in N.C. ChargePoint seems cheaper as a rule, but I think that's because they partner a lot with electric co-ops, or the owners of the locations where their stations are subsidized them.

Not quite always 90% full, but it does stay quite busy between 11am-8p: Available SuC Stalls
I thought the new Cary and Garner SuC locations would help take some of the usage away but I think the pace of new Tesla owners in the Raleigh area is growing faster than the charging infrastructure.

Hopefully Asheville is a blueprint of what is planned for the rest of the country with SuC location blanketing every side of city. I can't wait for the updated official Tesla SuC map at the start of 2022 (3 months)
It would do a lot if they at least changed the V2.5 chargers to v3 so you don’t have to power share. That would increase the number of cars served quite substantially. I personally would love a different location than North Hills. The area where Wegmans is one exit down I-440 on Wake Forest Rd is really nice and they’re opening lots of new things there.

My wife used them once, to recharge her i3, a couple of summers ago, coming back to Charlotte from a family reunion in Brasstown Valley. That location was about halfway on the trip. I met her there and we went for lunch while she recharged.

EVGo does seem pricey, at least here in N.C. ChargePoint seems cheaper as a rule, but I think that's because they partner a lot with electric co-ops, or the owners of the locations where their stations are subsidized them.
I think there's an Electrify America nearby now that is much cheaper, though.

Evgo tends to do flat rates for all power levels. The few 150kw+ ones aren't bad at all, but it is a ripoff for <50, imo.

It would do a lot if they at least changed the V2.5 chargers to v3 so you don’t have to power share. That would increase the number of cars served quite substantially. I personally would love a different location than North Hills. The area where Wegmans is one exit down I-440 on Wake Forest Rd is really nice and they’re opening lots of new things there.
highly recommend trying torchy's. :) Also, this shopping center has all the checkmarks of if you looked up bougie. Rowing, spa, wegmans, waxing, spin........ that being said..........dang those tacos are good.

highly recommend trying torchy's. :) Also, this shopping center has all the checkmarks of if you looked up bougie. Rowing, spa, wegmans, waxing, spin........ that being said..........dang those tacos are good.
I like that shopping center better than most around here. They did a good job just making it look nicer with cool little paintings on certain exterior walls and the overall appearance looks neat and clean. I do think they need to improve the traffic flow though. The three way stop is a nightmare because nobody knows WTF to do. I was absolutely shocked they didn’t install a single EV charger. I really was expecting there to be some chargers in the lower level of the parking deck. I have not tried Torchy’s yet, but it is PACKED every time I go by. I saw a Torchy’s on every corner it seemed when I was in Austin a couple months ago.

Ashley Christensen (James Beard Award winning chef) is opening a fried chicken joint called “BB’s Crispy Chicken” in that shopping center, too. Hopefully the food will be better and the prices much lower than her other restaurants which I personally have never really enjoyed going to. Her only restaurant I cared for is Poole’side Pies, but it was only good the first two times I went. Subsequent two times were terrible and I haven’t been back.

Reactions: SigNC
Yeah, I'd love it if they got one on the southwest side near I85. The existing locations don't cover that route well.
Yep and southeast Charlotte (Matthews) could be better covered with a SC near I-485 and US-74. Perhaps near the Costco? Traveling westward on US-74 means the next SC is at far-away Asheville. The Tesla Service Center in Matthews, just a few miles away, discourages local charging except when work is being done. Even then, you'd have to really need a charge.

not a great photo (sorry), but here’s from yesterday. Confirmed 12 stall V3. Looks pretty close to being ready for commissioning.
30682B16-006F-4EF1-B373-3D78B941EB5B.jpeg

If you agree, please let Tesla know that SuperChargers are desperately needed in Boone or Blowing Rock and Cherokee, NC. This would allow driving/enjoying the Blue Ridge Parkway without any range anxiety regardless what model you drive. And it would open up so many other scenic drives in the Western Carolina Mountains. Driving an emissions free & silent EV in the Blue Ridge & Smokey Mtns is such a wonderful feeling!!

Green power cabinet sounds like the utility transformer, which is one of the last steps in a new site. Give us a picture of it to confirm, and also look for the utility meter Once those two are in, it's usually less than a week, since it's just waiting for A) final inspection from the local AHJ, and B) Tesla tech visit to test and activate.