Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baie-Saint-Paul QC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
82A1996D-1065-4CA1-9D39-175DE2A6994A.jpeg
Baie-Saint-Paul selfie

After having experienced 5 different supercharger locations (yes, I'm a n00b), the Baie-St-Paul location is the only one to have given me some issues. At all other locations the sequence I've seen is: start charge, ramp up the kW, continue charge, adjust kW as needed until charge limit is reached.

At Baie-St Paul, the charging process stutters (start, fault, stopped). The stuttering only happens a few times, then it continues to charge. During the charge sequence the kW being applied flickers on the screen (appears to be rapidly fluctuating) and goes between high-40s to high-70s (ex: 47 kW -> 75 kW)

This happened on July 6 and July 11. In both instances the starting SoC was ~30% and I was charging to 80%

I switched SCs (ex: 1A -> 3A) just in case it was a particular SC that had issues. But this happened at both.

In the end, the charging session, even with the rapid ramping up/down in kW, completed in less than 40 mins and there were no issues with the car afterwards.

Any thoughts from anyone? Is this something to be reported to Tesla?

It's normal I think to have a premature taper down of kW while charging at these temps, especially in Baie-St-Paul where, even though it is cooler, your battery might have been already pretty hot from going up and down the steep grades, so the battery might have been too hot or close to for optimal charging speeds.

It's normal I think to have a premature taper down of kW while charging at these temps, especially in Baie-St-Paul where, even though it is cooler, your battery might have been already pretty hot from going up and down the steep grades, so the battery might have been too hot or close to for optimal charging speeds.

Thanks @sauce, I didn't consider battery temperature. On a side note, I saw unexpected efficiency for the trip: 143 Wh/km as reported by the trip meter/counter for the trip between Tadoussac and Ottawa.

When charging, I didn't notice any increased noise from a coolant pump when I was standing beside the car. Perhaps the cooling system is extremely quiet. Is it possible to see the current battery temperature on an M3?

Also, would the stuttering (start, fault, stop) be related to battery temp as well?

I charged here in April (see profile pic). It was slightly above freezing and sunny and I had parked elsewhere in the city for a couple hours prior to plugging in. I didn't have the start/stop issues, but I did experience a lower than normal charge rate. I was getting something like 70-80kW instead of the usual 110+.

I think sometimes these rural locations are limited by the local power supply. West Texas, for example is universally awful for supercharging (with the exception of El Paso which works well). I've experienced slow charge rates in western South Dakota as well. You know it isn't overuse that is affecting the supercharges in these locations and in the case of Quebec and SD, it isn't constant high temps either.

I charged here in April (see profile pic). It was slightly above freezing and sunny and I had parked elsewhere in the city for a couple hours prior to plugging in. I didn't have the start/stop issues, but I did experience a lower than normal charge rate. I was getting something like 70-80kW instead of the usual 110+.

I think sometimes these rural locations are limited by the local power supply. West Texas, for example is universally awful for supercharging (with the exception of El Paso which works well). I've experienced slow charge rates in western South Dakota as well. You know it isn't overuse that is affecting the supercharges in these locations and in the case of Quebec and SD, it isn't constant high temps either.

Thanks @PLUS EV, I'll leave it alone as long as all other things are working. Good to know it could simply be a result of lack of available power. If it's consistently low, perhaps Tesla should update their listing/description to reflect that, like they do for the Laval,QC supercharger location that states "nn Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW" rather than "...120kW"

Thanks @PLUS EV, I'll leave it alone as long as all other things are working. Good to know it could simply be a result of lack of available power. If it's consistently low, perhaps Tesla should update their listing/description to reflect that, like they do for the Laval,QC supercharger location that states "nn Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW" rather than "...120kW"
Those (72kw) are urban chargers they are a different type of chargers

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP

That is interesting... One wouldn't expect this to be a problem in Hydro country, but hey if power transport utilities can't support a higher charge rate we can't expect Hydro-Quebec to be exactly running around to upgrade the whole local network...

Come to think of it, big huge hydro dams are not a guarantee you'll get hydro power. Many remote communities, including close to hydro dams have diesel-powered electricity. Réseaux autonomes d'Hydro-Québec — Wikipédia

Last edited: