Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA - Expansion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The app says 45 stalls available, 250kw max. Perhaps they flipped the switch on 4 of the V3s for the weekend.
I was through there over Thanksgiving weekend. It DOES say 250kw max and 45 but none of the new V3s were open. The entire back half of the lot (with all the new V3s) was still taped off and non-operational. Both times I was through here over the weekend (going to LV and then returning to CA), the site was very busy. It needs those new stalls badly. On the way to LV I had to switch handles as the first one I plugged into was only outputting 45kw despite not sharing with the one next to it. I switched to the vacant one that was sharing with the slow one and maxed out at 77kw or thereabouts -- pretty disappointing. Lots of cars sitting at the site charging very slowly.

Reactions: IdaX
The app says 45 stalls available, 250kw max. Perhaps they flipped the switch on 4 of the V3s for the weekend.

I was through there over Thanksgiving weekend. It DOES say 250kw max and 45 but none of the new V3s were open. The entire back half of the lot (with all the new V3s) was still taped off and non-operational. Both times I was through here over the weekend (going to LV and then returning to CA), the site was very busy. It needs those new stalls badly. On the way to LV I had to switch handles as the first one I plugged into was only outputting 45kw despite not sharing with the one next to it. I switched to the vacant one that was sharing with the slow one and maxed out at 77kw or thereabouts -- pretty disappointing. Lots of cars sitting at the site charging very slowly.
App is back to 40 and 150kw. I think someone has been doing some backend programming updating the sites where construction is in progress or soon to be and had some of that programming appear in the app. There were a couple other sites that showed expansion stalls as active or included in the total count be unavailable.
1701227922243.png

Heads-up if you're travelling through Baker, there's a planned power outage 10pm Dec 5th to 10am Dec 6th

Driver alert: Planned power outage will impact gas stations, EV charging on I-15 near Baker

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Drivers planning to travel on I-15 between Las Vegas and Southern California on Tuesday, Dec. 5, and Wednesday, Dec. 6, should be aware there will be planned power outages that will impact a 90-mile stretch of the freeway near Baker, California.

According to the Nevada Department of Transportation and Southern California Edison the outage will impact the community of Baker and the freeway. The outage will occur both evenings starting at 10 p.m. and last until 10 a.m. the following morning.

“During the outage periods, services such as food establishments, gas stations, and electric vehicles charging ports around Baker will not be available. Travelers are strongly urged to plan their journeys accordingly, considering the limited amenities during this time,” the news release stated.

The planned power outages are being done so Southern California Edison can conduct reliability upgrades on the system.

I understand this. I wouldn’t call it reliability upgrades. It would be capacity upgrades. Reliability is putting in more durable parts so they don’t break. creating something more reliable doesn’t make it perform better.
It’s really both. Upgrading small overhead conductor such as 6AWG Cu to 2 ACSR or bigger is usually done for reliability reasons as the small conductor can easily burn during faults. Larger conductor can take a lot more fault current and is less likely to burn up and cause a wire down situation. A secondary, but very important, benefit to these reliability upgrades is, of course, much more current carrying capacity on that section of feeder.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrbrock and IdaX
It’s really both. Upgrading small overhead conductor such as 6AWG Cu to 2 ACSR or bigger is usually done for reliability reasons as the small conductor can easily burn during faults. Larger conductor can take a lot more fault current and is less likely to burn up and cause a wire down situation. A secondary, but very important, benefit to these reliability upgrades is, of course, much more current carrying capacity on that section of feeder.
You guys are both right in defining the terms I am just making the statement that the limitation here at Baker on why the 56 stall expansion is not yet energized is a limitation in capacity of electricity in the Baker area. This upgrade goes back to the substation serving the area and why the outage required to put in the upgrade in service is required for such a large area, practically the entire town for the two time periods to complete the work.

Also this area is not a cold weather issue at all but that comment might not be related to the location in question.

You guys are both right in defining the terms I am just making the statement that the limitation here at Baker on why the 56 stall expansion is not yet energized is a limitation in capacity of electricity in the Baker area. This upgrade goes back to the substation serving the area and why the outage required to put in the upgrade in service is required for such a large area, practically the entire town for the two time periods to complete the work.

Also this area is not a cold weather issue at all but that comment might not be related to the location in question.
Seems like they would have waited for the electrical to be in place before starting but I guess they don’t really care about equipment in place but not being used.

Seems like they would have waited for the electrical to be in place before starting but I guess they don’t really care about equipment in place but not being used.
I have seen places where Tesla is waiting for the transformer for some time so I think they just go and install when they can. Once they get required permits and complete construction then they put pressure on the Utility to finish it up.

I have seen places where Tesla is waiting for the transformer for some time so I think they just go and install when they can. Once they get required permits and complete construction then they put pressure on the Utility to finish it up.
Yes, I totally understand that where the time constraint is based on a third party supplier. They would know the electrical supply wasn’t enough when they applied and that isn’t reliant upon a third party, it would be directly on the utility providing enough power. I guess there could be a third party somewhere down the line but a pad mount transformer is a lot different than new transmission equipment.

Reactions: ElectricCyclist
The mobile app and tesla navigation is now showing 60 stalls available at 250kw max.
Interesting I think that means that atleast part of the expansion is now open but sounds like 20 stalls of the 56 stalls so this is a little deceptive saying 250 kW. Maybe Tesla should break it out to say 40 at 150 kW and 20 at 250 kW. This will be an appreciated additions for the Holidays travel this week and next.

Status
Not open for further replies.